Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk basilisk is offline

Default OT Another story from long ago

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 14:24:51 -0500, Greg Guarino wrote:

On 3/4/2013 10:10 AM, basilisk wrote:

it had to be painted brown.

Yup. One man's beauty is another's trash. And vice versa.

The very first non-critical task I did when we bought our house was to
replace the light fixture from over the kitchen table. My wife and I
shuddered a little each time we looked at it, especially when it was
lit. It was wrought iron, designed to look like a bouquet of
long-stemmed flowers that splayed out on curving stems "tied" together
in the middle. It was painted in numerous loud colors, each flower (10
or so) with a candelabra bulb.

I put it out with the recyclables at maybe 9pm for the next morning's
trash pickup. It wasn't out there fifteen minutes before someone had
snatched it up. I picture the picker chuckling at his good fortune.
"These people musta been CRAZY to throw this out". "Hey honey, you're
never gonna be-LIEVE what I got for free!".

And I'm glad frankly that someone got some use out of it. Someone other
than us, of course.

LOL,

At a yard sale local to where I work, there was a picture
frame made from a toilet seat, recessed in back and glass
cut to fit hole. That takes recycling just a hair too far.

basilisk