Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Filling an imperfection

One of the maple boards on the buffet projects has a small imperfection. It's a thin -- maybe 1/16th of an inch by 2 inch jagged scar that's about 1/16th of an inch deep. I recall reading that some folks fill such imperfections with CA glue. What's the process? What impact does this have on finishing (assuming use of a wipe on oil-based finish)? Any other suggestions?

TIA

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 20:37:58 -0800 (PST), "Gramp's shop"
One of the maple boards on the buffet projects has a small imperfection. It's a thin -- maybe 1/16th of an inch by 2 inch jagged scar that's about 1/16th of an inch deep. I recall reading that some folks fill such imperfections with CA glue. What's the process? What impact does this have on finishing (assuming use of a wipe on oil-based finish)? Any other suggestions?

I'd suggest using one of these to fill your scar. I have a set and
frequently use one of them to fill indentations larger than your 1/16"
scar.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42997
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 1, 2013 12:02:49 AM UTC-6, Upscale wrote:
I'd suggest using one of these to fill your scar. I have a set and frequently use one of them to fill indentations larger than your 1/16" scar. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42997

I picked up a set, plus some, of these wax sticks and other items, at a retired clock repairman's garage sale, for $2.

You can also use shellac or lacquer sticks, to fill those damages or imperfections. I've never used lacquer sticks, but have used shellac sticks, as I have a set, plus some, of these, also.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
One of the maple boards on the buffet projects has a small
imperfection. It's a thin -- maybe 1/16th of an inch by 2 inch
jagged scar that's about 1/16th of an inch deep. I recall reading
that some folks fill such imperfections with CA glue. What's the
process? What impact does this have on finishing (assuming use of a
wipe on oil-based finish)? Any other suggestions?

Can you turn the board over? If not, there are various ways to fill it. In
no particular order...

1. Wax as Dave mentioned. Use after finishing; you can get the color close
but probably not the sheen.

2. Stick shellac
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...sticklac1.html

3. Sawdust and glue
a) cyanoacrylate: fill with sanding and/or sawdust, apply CA so it wicks
in, sand when dry (no odor up close), repeat as necessary. The filled area
will always be dark.

b) white glue: make a thick paste of sanding and saw dust mixed with
equal parts of glue and water, press in and over fill, let dry, sand. When
flush, wipe on a very thin coat of glue and sand immediately. Doing the
latter seems to stick a very thin layer on non-glue saturated sawdust that
will finish very close to the unblemished wood.

4. Anything that will set up; that includes things like plaster of Paris,
drywall compound, etc. You can add color before applying or after.

5. A Dutchman: route out the imperfection, glue in a new piece of wood to
fit.

Any of these should work OK with an oil finish.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message

One of the maple boards on the buffet projects has a small imperfection.
It's a thin -- maybe 1/16th of an inch by 2 inch jagged scar that's about
1/16th of an inch deep. I recall reading that some folks fill such
imperfections with CA glue. What's the process? What impact does this
have on finishing (assuming use of a wipe on oil-based finish)? Any other
suggestions?

Is this a "natural defect" or man made damage? If a natural defect such as
a bark inclusion or split perhaps celebrating the defect by filling with a
very dark brown, even black, tinted epoxy would be the way to go. It would
end up looking like a smooth bark inclusion under the finish. Many of the
high end turners and flat boarders I know use this technique to "fix"
splits, loose knots, etc. and it looks quite natural.

If a man made defect, such as a ragged dent or scratch, I'd try steaming it
several times to see if the damage raises and then reassess the situation.
It may revive enough that another round of sanding the entire surface
removes the defect. I wouldn't spot sand as it could leave a depression...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:02:49 PM UTC-8, Upscale wrote:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 20:37:58 -0800 (PST), "Gramp's shop" One of the maple boards on the buffet projects has a small imperfection. It's a thin -- maybe 1/16th of an inch by 2 inch jagged scar that's about 1/16th of an inch deep. I recall reading that some folks fill such imperfections with CA glue.. What's the process? What impact does this have on finishing (assuming use of a wipe on oil-based finish)? Any other suggestions? I'd suggest using one of these to fill your scar. I have a set and frequently use one of them to fill indentations larger than your 1/16" scar. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42997

Keep in mind wax\shellac types sticks are used AFTER you finish finishing. So they are used after you stain, and top coat. But before you wax (if you are waxing. The main reason is that no matter what you fill with, it will NOT stain or color that same from the top coat as the surrounding wood. It always looks different. So adding a filler after the fact lets you match the color more precisely. Also, if you have any other color differences or grain patterns in the surrounding wood, you can modify the dent so it looks more like a natural anomily and then a fill with a liitle off color is OK.

Another approach is to do what is called a "dutchman" patch or repair. Google it. It is a sort of inlay method. You use the same wood to make a filler piece, cut a shallow mortise in a shape that follows grain lines and done well it ends up hiding well. Does take some talent. It can easily look much worse than the original problem but done well can be invisible. Again, dutchmen can be done to look like a natural anomily so exact match is not the goal. I have inlayed a knot before into pieces that have a few other knots already to hid a hammer ding.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/1/2013 1:02 AM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 20:37:58 -0800 (PST), "Gramp's shop"
One of the maple boards on the buffet projects has a small imperfection. It's a thin -- maybe 1/16th of an inch by 2 inch jagged scar that's about 1/16th of an inch deep. I recall reading that some folks fill such imperfections with CA glue. What's the process? What impact does this have on finishing (assuming use of a wipe on oil-based finish)? Any other suggestions?

I'd suggest using one of these to fill your scar. I have a set and
frequently use one of them to fill indentations larger than your 1/16"
scar.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42997

I make lots of imperfections. Maybe I should just make the whole project
out of that stuff?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message ...

On 3/1/2013 1:02 AM, Dave wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42997

I make lots of imperfections. Maybe I should just make the whole project
out of that stuff?

LOL... glad I wasn't drinking my coffee. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 11:43*am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Another approach is to do what is called a "dutchman" patch or repair. Google it. It is a sort of inlay method. You use the same wood to make a filler piece, cut a shallow mortise in a shape that follows grain lines and done well it ends up hiding well. Does take some talent.

=========

I'll say. a 1/16" X 1/16" 2" long dutchman wouldn't be for the
inexperienced. First, cutting the receiving side correctly. Then
making the one of a kind filler that is 1/16" x 1/16" to fit....

Then gluing it in to fit with no glue lines or "glue seal" from wiping
away excess glue when finished....

Well beyond the skill set of anyone I know!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message

John ...

Thanks for the reply. It is a rather modest natural defect. I think it
adds a bit of interest to the piece, but my customer -- my son -- believes
it is an imperfection that needs correction. I'm going to try to educate
him on the vagaries of wood and the inherent beauty therein. This is hard
rock maple, not laminate for heaven's sake!

Larry,

I know the type... ;~)

If he is insistent, and the boards haven't been cut to final size, maybe
simply rip the board (glued up panel) through the defect and glue it up...
If it has been cut to final size you could make rips to remove the defect
plus a bit more and add another board. Doing either may be more straight
forward than "invisibly fixing" the defect knowing your son is going to be
looking for it!

John

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 1, 2013 11:13:40 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Mar 1, 11:43*am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote: Another approach is to do what is called a "dutchman" patch or repair. Google it. It is a sort of inlay method. You use the same wood to make a filler piece, cut a shallow mortise in a shape that follows grain lines and done well it ends up hiding well. Does take some talent. ========= I'll say. a 1/16" X 1/16" 2" long dutchman wouldn't be for the inexperienced. First, cutting the receiving side correctly. Then making the one of a kind filler that is 1/16" x 1/16" to fit.... Then gluing it in to fit with no glue lines or "glue seal" from wiping away excess glue when finished..... Well beyond the skill set of anyone I know! Robert

I agree it is not the easiest solution. Nothing says it has to stay that small either. Just laying out all possibilities. Honestly, I fix as many small problems with a sharpie, drawing in some grain, coloring a chipped out spot of finish, as I do with a chisel.

I have fixed crack like imperfections by cleaning, widening or lengthening them with a knife\ravor as needed, then tapping in some slivers of the same wood and planing them down by hand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 11:25:58 -0800 (PST), "Gramp's shop"
wrote:

John ...

Thanks for the reply. It is a rather modest natural defect. I think it adds a bit of interest to the piece, but my customer -- my son -- believes it is an imperfection that needs correction. I'm going to try to educate him on the vagaries of wood and the inherent beauty therein. This is hard rock maple, not laminate for heaven's sake!

Hey, Larry! See if you can show him how to do some inlay (wood,
stone, or colored epoxy) which would make it a point of interest
instead, if you can't convince him otherwise.

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron

Weird radiator filling - or rather non-filling Zaphod2 UK diy 7 July 13th 12 03:59 PM
filling a gap cj Home Repair 4 May 28th 10 07:12 PM
More filling! Richard UK diy 5 September 23rd 09 08:00 AM
Filling in pavers Jordan[_3_] Home Repair 3 May 26th 09 11:52 AM
filling the gap tiscali UK diy 11 November 10th 06 04:52 PM