Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Filling an imperfection

On Friday, March 1, 2013 11:13:40 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Mar 1, 11:43*am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote: Another approach is to do what is called a "dutchman" patch or repair. Google it. It is a sort of inlay method. You use the same wood to make a filler piece, cut a shallow mortise in a shape that follows grain lines and done well it ends up hiding well. Does take some talent. ========= I'll say. a 1/16" X 1/16" 2" long dutchman wouldn't be for the inexperienced. First, cutting the receiving side correctly. Then making the one of a kind filler that is 1/16" x 1/16" to fit.... Then gluing it in to fit with no glue lines or "glue seal" from wiping away excess glue when finished..... Well beyond the skill set of anyone I know! Robert

I agree it is not the easiest solution. Nothing says it has to stay that small either. Just laying out all possibilities. Honestly, I fix as many small problems with a sharpie, drawing in some grain, coloring a chipped out spot of finish, as I do with a chisel.

I have fixed crack like imperfections by cleaning, widening or lengthening them with a knife\ravor as needed, then tapping in some slivers of the same wood and planing them down by hand.