Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More filling!

Further to my last post on filling Joinery, I've also got a problem
with my painted kitchen cabinets - the joints are starting to open up
in place on the doors - should I fill and paint over or is this a bad
idea incase the gap closes up again? Many thanks Rich.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard writes:
Further to my last post on filling Joinery, I've also got a problem
with my painted kitchen cabinets - the joints are starting to open up
in place on the doors - should I fill and paint over or is this a bad
idea incase the gap closes up again? Many thanks Rich.

Depends on the door. Proper panel doors are designed so the panels
slide as the timber expands and contracts. If you stop it doing this
by glueing it with paint, the panels might end up splitting instead.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 9:27*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Richard writes:

Further to my last post on filling Joinery, I've also got a problem
with my painted kitchen cabinets - the joints are starting to open up
in place on the doors - should I fill and paint over or is this a bad
idea incase the gap closes up again? Many thanks Rich.

Depends on the door. Proper panel doors are designed so the panels
slide as the timber expands and contracts. If you stop it doing this
by glueing it with paint, the panels might end up splitting instead.

--
Andrew Gabriel

thanks for the reply. It's actually the joint between the stile and
the rail that's opening up not the panel itself. Any ideas? Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard writes:
On Sep 22, 9:27*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Richard writes:

Further to my last post on filling Joinery, I've also got a problem
with my painted kitchen cabinets - the joints are starting to open up
in place on the doors - should I fill and paint over or is this a bad
idea incase the gap closes up again? Many thanks Rich.

Depends on the door. Proper panel doors are designed so the panels
slide as the timber expands and contracts. If you stop it doing this
by glueing it with paint, the panels might end up splitting instead.

thanks for the reply. It's actually the joint between the stile and
the rail that's opening up not the panel itself. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sounds like it's the opposite then -- the panels expanded and
couldn't any longer slide into the stiles, and so pushed them
apart.

I think painting such a door just isn't going to work. If you
paint it, you might as well buy a fake one in the first place
which is probably machined out of a single piece of MDF or
similar, and won't need slipping joints.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks for the reply. It's actually the joint between the stile and
the rail that's opening up not the panel itself. Any ideas? Thanks.

See if the joint will pinch up with a clamp. Yes - reglue it. No -
fill it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 23, 6:51*am, RubberBiker wrote:
thanks for the reply. It's actually the joint between the stile and
the rail that's opening up not the panel itself. Any ideas? Thanks.

See if the joint will pinch up with a clamp. Yes - reglue it. No -
fill it.

Thanks, sounds sensible, willl give it a go

filling the gap tiscali UK diy 11 November 10th 06 04:52 PM
Filling Wood Endulini UK diy 7 August 25th 06 08:51 PM
Filling Holes J T Woodworking 0 August 24th 06 08:48 PM
floorboard gap filling doozer UK diy 15 March 8th 05 01:32 PM
How do I use the filling loop? Zara UK diy 5 October 2nd 04 07:45 PM