Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filling Wood

Hi All,

I have just removed some 'worm' damage from one of my floorboards which has
left me with a small crescent shaped hole (about 4 inches long and a max of
2 inches wide) going right-through the board. I appreciate that I'll
probably have to replace the board at some point soon but as a short-term
solution is there any wood-filler I could use to plug the hole in the
meantime?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's a mighty big hole for filler - it's possible but it'll take ages
to dry and quite possibly crack once it is dry.

I'd fashion another piece of wood of roughly the same size and shape as
the gap you want to fill, apply liberal amounts of PVA, then put the
wood in the gap and apply some kind of pressure for at least 12 hours,
then sand down as necessary to get the surface flat again.

To be honest, replacing the floorboard is probably the quickest and
easiest solution....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Endulini" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have just removed some 'worm' damage from one of my floorboards which
has
left me with a small crescent shaped hole (about 4 inches long and a max
of
2 inches wide) going right-through the board. I appreciate that I'll
probably have to replace the board at some point soon but as a short-term
solution is there any wood-filler I could use to plug the hole in the
meantime?

Thanks

Replace the board

Depending where in the room the hole is

Masking tape over the hole to prevent draughts and place a piece of
furniture over the area

Alternatively cut the hole to a rectangular shape cut a couple of battens
that you an work through the hole and fix to the underside of the board by
screws from above. Now cut a bit of wood to fit in the hole and fix it to
the battens

If you really want to use filler you need to support it from below in a
similar way to that described above

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:
"Endulini" wrote in message
[...]

Car body filler goes off in 5 minutes. Stick a couple of screws/nails in
the edge of the board and maybe lay something like tin foil across them
to support it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

I have just removed some 'worm' damage from one of my floorboards
which has left me with a small crescent shaped hole (about 4 inches
long and a max of 2 inches wide) going right-through the board. I
appreciate that I'll probably have to replace the board at some point
soon but as a short-term solution is there any wood-filler I could
use to plug the hole in the meantime?

Thanks

If you have a router chamfer the inner wood to a equal oblong
rectangle,then cut a piece of wood the same dimensions and depth of the
floorboard,then chamfer this piece of woods sides.
Put some wood glue on the sides and pop the chamfered wood plug into the
hole and put something heavy on it whilst the glue dries.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Redeye wrote:
That's a mighty big hole for filler - it's possible but it'll take
ages to dry and quite possibly crack once it is dry.

I'd fashion another piece of wood of roughly the same size and shape
as the gap you want to fill, apply liberal amounts of PVA, then put
the wood in the gap and apply some kind of pressure for at least 12
hours, then sand down as necessary to get the surface flat again.

To be honest, replacing the floorboard is probably the quickest and
easiest solution....

The piece of wood will eventually fall right through after heavy foot
traffic going over it.

My approach is the same, but with the floorboard being chamfered it cant
fall through.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

I have just removed some 'worm' damage from one of my floorboards which has
left me with a small crescent shaped hole (about 4 inches long and a max of
2 inches wide) going right-through the board. I appreciate that I'll
probably have to replace the board at some point soon but as a short-term
solution is there any wood-filler I could use to plug the hole in the
meantime?

Thanks

Depends on how ugly you don't mind it looking.

Any plastic wood of a darkish hue will be OKish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Endulini" contains these words:

I have just removed some 'worm' damage from one of my floorboards which has
left me with a small crescent shaped hole (about 4 inches long and a max of
2 inches wide) going right-through the board. I appreciate that I'll
probably have to replace the board at some point soon but as a short-term
solution is there any wood-filler I could use to plug the hole in the
meantime?

Put a bit of wood underneath to support it and fill with a mix of PVA
and sawdust.

--
Skipweasel