Posted to rec.woodworking
Gramp's shop[_2_] Gramp's shop[_2_] is offline

Default Filling an imperfection

John ...

Thanks for the reply. It is a rather modest natural defect. I think it adds a bit of interest to the piece, but my customer -- my son -- believes it is an imperfection that needs correction. I'm going to try to educate him on the vagaries of wood and the inherent beauty therein. This is hard rock maple, not laminate for heaven's sake!

Larry

On Friday, March 1, 2013 8:30:14 AM UTC-6, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Gramp's shop" wrote in message

One of the maple boards on the buffet projects has a small imperfection.

It's a thin -- maybe 1/16th of an inch by 2 inch jagged scar that's about

1/16th of an inch deep. I recall reading that some folks fill such

imperfections with CA glue. What's the process? What impact does this

have on finishing (assuming use of a wipe on oil-based finish)? Any other

suggestions?

Is this a "natural defect" or man made damage? If a natural defect such as

a bark inclusion or split perhaps celebrating the defect by filling with a

very dark brown, even black, tinted epoxy would be the way to go. It would

end up looking like a smooth bark inclusion under the finish. Many of the

high end turners and flat boarders I know use this technique to "fix"

splits, loose knots, etc. and it looks quite natural.

If a man made defect, such as a ragged dent or scratch, I'd try steaming it

several times to see if the damage raises and then reassess the situation..

It may revive enough that another round of sanding the entire surface

removes the defect. I wouldn't spot sand as it could leave a depression....

John