Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Lowes vs. HD....

Gunner wrote:

On 6 Dec 2012 03:00:13 GMT, wrote:

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 21:08:17 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Existential Angst" wrote:

Had a last min. need for Arbor Vitaes, for some privacy issues.
snip
If you google Westchester County, NY, you'll see 500 HDs, and not ONE
Lowes.... I don't know what (or who) is behind that, but I'm sure
there is some corruption at work.
You expected to find garbage shrubs in stock in Westchester County.

Poor baby.

Don't know what your point is, but if you want to pay top dollar, there
are plenty in stock in Westchester County.
Sprain Brook has 8 footers for $450.... perty 'spensive garbage, eh?
Windy Farms has'em for $65, but full sun only.

HD had'em for $20-35, depending on the type. And, there are proly a
dozen varieties.

And yeah, it's late in the season.... so I took a shot....
And your point was......???

MY point was, 20 sec vs. 30 mins, plain and simple....
AND, this is not an isolated case. Getting info over the phone from HD
is ALWAYS, without exception, a nightmare, and *almost* invariably
incorrect. I've had them tell me stuff was NOT in stock, and it turns out
it was in stock. Of course, much more the opposite case. Never fails at
HD.

My conclusion is that shoddy service has become a sport with them. Esp.
over here, where there are no Lowes to keep them on their toes -- no
rhyme intended.
--
EA

They're not set up to spend a lot of time with phone calls. That's part of
the reason the prices are low. WRT Lowe's, the stores in the NY Metro area
are much newer than HD, but more oriented toward women. They are seriously
deficient in hardcore plumbing fittings, for example.

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

Many don't sell to the general public.

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

I haven't seen one of those in a decade.

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

They're as rare as hens' teeth, too.

Anyone see a pattern here ?

Sure. You're living in the past.

Pretty much depends on where you life. Lots of lumberyards, hardware
stores and plumbing supply houses.

They wont sell to the public? Bring in a business card. Even from
someone you know and tell em thats you and open a cash account.

They really dont give a **** beyond following corporate rules.
Sales are sales, expessially when its in cold hard green money.

There were lumberyards around here that required a copy of your
business license, and tax certificate before you could set up an
account. One now has very few customers, and a lot of 'OPEN TO THE
PUBLIC!!!' But after 25+ years of telling people to go away, they are in
no hurry to deal with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Gunner on Thu, 06 Dec 2012 01:05:00 -0800 typed

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

Many don't sell to the general public.

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

I haven't seen one of those in a decade.

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

They're as rare as hens' teeth, too.

Anyone see a pattern here ?

Sure. You're living in the past.

Pretty much depends on where you life. Lots of lumberyards, hardware
stores and plumbing supply houses.

They wont sell to the public? Bring in a business card. Even from
someone you know and tell em thats you and open a cash account.

And you can get business cards printed all sorts of places. Or at
home, even.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Existential Angst" wrote:

[...]

Pretty much.

Lots of lumberyards, hardware stores and plumbing supply houses.

I haven't even seen a real lumber yard or what I'd call a real
hardware store in years. I never frequented plumbing supply houses -
they didn't like walk-in business so I always avoided them.

They wont sell to the public? Bring in a business card. Even from
someone you know and tell em thats you and open a cash account.

I don't know any plumbers. Sorry. Not going to happen. If they
don't want my business I'm not going to force them to do business.

They really dont give a **** beyond following corporate rules.
Sales are sales, expessially when its in cold hard green money.

Actually, many do. Some would rather not **** off their customers
than make what few bucks I'd bring them. I found plumbing houses
especially didn't want my business (electrical were much more willing
to take my dead presidents).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 01:05:00 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

"Existential Angst" wrote:

[...]

I prefer to pull my own lumber, rather than let them load up a lot of
rejects.

They won't sell to the public? Bring in a business card. Even from
someone you know and tell em thats you and open a cash account.

I don't know any plumbers. Sorry. Not going to happen. If they
don't want my business I'm not going to force them to do business.

They really dont give a **** beyond following corporate rules.
Sales are sales, expessially when its in cold hard green money.

Actually, many do. Some would rather not **** off their customers
than make what few bucks I'd bring them. I found plumbing houses
especially didn't want my business (electrical were much more willing
to take my dead presidents).

The biggest jerks that I ever ran into were at a HVAC wholesaler.
They refused to sell me some duct board about 25 years ago. I asked the
manager his full name so he could be mentioned on the air at the TV
station, and told him that I didn't want to blame the wrong guy for
refusing to sell to a Christian TV station. His eyes went wide, and he
yelled at one of his workers to pull what I wanted, then gave me 'D'
column pricing. They even loaded it into my truck without being asked.

We weren't doing any HVAC work, we needed to block the sides of the
water chillers on the transmitter to bring the coolant to normal
operating temperature, before we flushed the transmitter and refilled it
with distilled water & antifreeze.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:

Well, there is, and PMT nailed it. And I really try to go local,
but too often the price differential -- and the irritating
convenience of HD -- prevails.
Indeed, I watch myself **** myself, all too often. We ****
ourselves, we **** each other, and HD laughs hysterically, to/fro
the bank.

wow, you do indeed know how to curse. The question is do you know how
to speak without cursing? Everyone uses it now and then, but to
really prove your an idiot, keep cursing.

What's the old expression; "profanity is for inarticulate ****ers"?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 14:03:52 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

"Existential Angst" wrote:

[...]

Agreed. I don't even let the "help" at the Borg help me. I'll take
my time, and yes, the pile will be as neat when I leave as when I got
there, if picked over. ;-)

They won't sell to the public? Bring in a business card. Even from
someone you know and tell em thats you and open a cash account.

I don't know any plumbers. Sorry. Not going to happen. If they
don't want my business I'm not going to force them to do business.

They really dont give a **** beyond following corporate rules.
Sales are sales, expessially when its in cold hard green money.

Actually, many do. Some would rather not **** off their customers
than make what few bucks I'd bring them. I found plumbing houses
especially didn't want my business (electrical were much more willing
to take my dead presidents).

The biggest jerks that I ever ran into were at a HVAC wholesaler.

That makes three. ;-)

They refused to sell me some duct board about 25 years ago. I asked the
manager his full name so he could be mentioned on the air at the TV
station, and told him that I didn't want to blame the wrong guy for
refusing to sell to a Christian TV station. His eyes went wide, and he
yelled at one of his workers to pull what I wanted, then gave me 'D'
column pricing. They even loaded it into my truck without being asked.

We weren't doing any HVAC work, we needed to block the sides of the
water chillers on the transmitter to bring the coolant to normal
operating temperature, before we flushed the transmitter and refilled it
with distilled water & antifreeze.

;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 15:25:05 -0800, "Bob F"

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

Many don't sell to the general public.

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

I haven't seen one of those in a decade.

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

They're as rare as hens' teeth, too.

Anyone see a pattern here ?

Sure. You're living in the past.

No, You are living in a cesspool. All those stores are easily available to me.

Proof: You're an idiot.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 16:25:01 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

tiredofspam wrote:

Well, there is, and PMT nailed it. And I really try to go local,
but too often the price differential -- and the irritating
convenience of HD -- prevails.
Indeed, I watch myself **** myself, all too often. We ****
ourselves, we **** each other, and HD laughs hysterically, to/fro
the bank.

wow, you do indeed know how to curse. The question is do you know how
to speak without cursing? Everyone uses it now and then, but to
really prove your an idiot, keep cursing.

What's the old expression; "profanity is for inarticulate ****ers"?

The effort of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Gunner wrote:

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 22:38:38 -0500, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

On 12/5/2012 9:25 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Ed Pawlowski:

Yeah so? Next week if you call the roles may be reversed. Your
experience with one store from each chain proves nothing.

Somebody who follows stock prices told me that HD's stock has
come way, way up in recent years.

Seemed to me like that coincided with local HD's service level.

Used to be that when an employee saw me, they'd try to duck into
another aisle to avoid answering a question. That's when the
stock was very low.

Now I practically have to fend them off.

Sounds like an upper-level management change to me.

Wish that were the case by my HD and Lowes.
Neither has enough people. When you can't find something, you can't get
an answer either.

Most of the stores around here are understaffed.

Thats one of the reasons they offer lower prices than the other
stores..and why they try to get folks to do the self checkout. Keeps
their personal expenses down.

Some people just don't understand the concept of a WAREHOUSE STORE.
Sad, isn't it?

What's sad is
1. The Warehouse Store don't know what's in its own warehouse.
2. That you STILL don't get this.
No surprise, tho.

Dood, I wadn't asking for a landscaping consultation, or an explanation of
nitrogen fixing in the root system of plants, a'ight?
All's I wanted to know was, Do you have effing Arbor Vitaes??
without being hung up on 3 times, in the span of 1/2 hr.
Thanks gawds for speaker phones, lemme tell you....
--
EA

Around here, Lowe's offers a 10% Veteran's discount.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 06 Dec 2012
14:03:52 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

[...]

Gee, suddenly the don't want free publicity! Now that _is_ a
miracle. /snark
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 06 Dec 2012
23:17:31 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

tiredofspam wrote:

Well, there is, and PMT nailed it. And I really try to go local,
but too often the price differential -- and the irritating
convenience of HD -- prevails.
Indeed, I watch myself **** myself, all too often. We ****
ourselves, we **** each other, and HD laughs hysterically, to/fro
the bank.
wow, you do indeed know how to curse. The question is do you know how
to speak without cursing? Everyone uses it now and then, but to
really prove your an idiot, keep cursing.

He's not cursing, just being potty mouthed. The real "trick" to
cursing/cussing/"ripping them an new one" is to be able to do it in
wards that can be repeated in mixed company.
My brother reported of hearing a master at work, during joint
operations with the RN. Seems one of Her Majesty's junior Captains
managed to come to the attention of Her Majesty's Task Force
Commander, over some - less than stellar seamanship, shall we say? As
my brother reported, it was a joy to hear over the Radio no less
(which is how he heard it, standing a communications watch.) as the
Senior Officer ah "rebuke" the Junior Officer. 'buked, rebuked,
dressed down, tear into, and leave no doubt at all as to the Senior
Officer's opinion of the Junior officer's skills, seamanship, ability
to command on of Her Majesty's ship, and probably his future career
ashore in solid waste retrieval.
As my sister-in-law said after a year in Wales "Over in the
States, [Monty Python, Blackadder, etc] are comedy shows. Over here,
they're documentary."

What's the old expression; "profanity is for inarticulate ****ers"?

The effort of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly

Or a small mind that thinks it makes them look all grown up.

As Mark Twain said after his wife repeated his cussing "You have
the words, my dear, but you do not have the tune."

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Same deal I offered ATT Longlines when five of our ten our WATS lines
died just befoe a telethon.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 07 Dec 2012
01:43:34 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

The old saying was "Never Argue with a man who buys his ink by the
barrel"

Now it is "Do not pick a fight with a man who buys pixels by the
terabyte."

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I prefer to pull my own lumber, rather than let them load up a lot of
rejects.

Agreed. I don't even let the "help" at the Borg help me. I'll take
my time, and yes, the pile will be as neat when I leave as when I got
there, if picked over. ;-)

A real lumber yard doesn't have a bunch of **** lumber in their yard to
begin with, and (at least where I'm at), the prices are usually the same or
lower...

--And if any of it starts into warping etc then it goes into the "utility"
pile where a DF stud 2x4x8 currently sells for about 99 cents...

IOW, if you're "picking over the pile" at Home Depot in order to find boards
to frame a house with, not only are you you're getting crap, but you're also
paying more than the ****ing boards are worth; it's green lumber and so
unless you get into a fresh unit, pretty much all of it will be warped and
cracked after 2 days of "picking over"

Let's see..pay more for **** boards, or pay the same amount and get good
boards...and if you are only building a chicken coop and can actually use
**** boards, pay 30 cents on the dollar for them...

--yup, definitely a hard decision..

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Around here, Lowe's and Home Depot offers a 10% disabled Veteran's
discount.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 23:05:25 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

.. .

I call bull****, on both statements.

--And if any of it starts into warping etc then it goes into the "utility"
pile where a DF stud 2x4x8 currently sells for about 99 cents...

Oh, wood doesn't warp in your universe? What color is the sky over
there?

IOW, if you're "picking over the pile" at Home Depot in order to find boards
to frame a house with, not only are you you're getting crap, but you're also
paying more than the ****ing boards are worth; it's green lumber and so
unless you get into a fresh unit, pretty much all of it will be warped and
cracked after 2 days of "picking over"

Clueless.

Let's see..pay more for **** boards, or pay the same amount and get good
boards...and if you are only building a chicken coop and can actually use
**** boards, pay 30 cents on the dollar for them...

--yup, definitely a hard decision..

Yup, clueless.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

"When at the carnival, don't insult the guy with the microphone".
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
news
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 23:05:25 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

I prefer to pull my own lumber, rather than let them load up a lot of
rejects.

Agreed. I don't even let the "help" at the Borg help me. I'll take
my time, and yes, the pile will be as neat when I leave as when I got
there, if picked over. ;-)

A real lumber yard doesn't have a bunch of **** lumber in their yard to
begin with, and (at least where I'm at), the prices are usually the same
or
lower...

I call bull****, on both statements.

Additionally, they price match....

--And if any of it starts into warping etc then it goes into the "utility"
pile where a DF stud 2x4x8 currently sells for about 99 cents...

Oh, wood doesn't warp in your universe? What color is the sky over
there?

It doesn't warp until the bands are cut and some goof ball starts "picking
therough it"

IOW, if you're "picking over the pile" at Home Depot in order to find
boards
to frame a house with, not only are you you're getting crap, but you're
also
paying more than the ****ing boards are worth; it's green lumber and so
unless you get into a fresh unit, pretty much all of it will be warped and
cracked after 2 days of "picking over"

Clueless.

It doesn't warp until the bands are cut and someone starts "picking through
it"

Hemlock is probably the worst, many lumberyards refuse to carry it for this
very reason.

Let's see..pay more for **** boards, or pay the same amount and get good
boards...and if you are only building a chicken coop and can actually use
**** boards, pay 30 cents on the dollar for them...

--yup, definitely a hard decision..

Yup, clueless.

My father in law is a home building contracter and has built several
thousand homes over his lifetime; he also does not buy lumber from Home
Depot or Lowes.

Apparently, he is also clueless...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 07:55:44 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

news
wrote:

wrote in message

I prefer to pull my own lumber, rather than let them load up a lot of
rejects.

Agreed. I don't even let the "help" at the Borg help me. I'll take
my time, and yes, the pile will be as neat when I leave as when I got
there, if picked over. ;-)

A real lumber yard doesn't have a bunch of **** lumber in their yard to
begin with, and (at least where I'm at), the prices are usually the same
or
lower...

I call bull****, on both statements.

Additionally, they price match....

They're going to price match select or better KD against grade-B
trash. Sure they will. Here, put on this *long* sleeve jacket.

--And if any of it starts into warping etc then it goes into the "utility"
pile where a DF stud 2x4x8 currently sells for about 99 cents...

Oh, wood doesn't warp in your universe? What color is the sky over
there?

It doesn't warp until the bands are cut and some goof ball starts "picking
therough it"

Clueless. It starts warping the instant it starts drying. You might
not see it until the stresses are allowed to relieve themselves but it
is.

IOW, if you're "picking over the pile" at Home Depot in order to find
boards
to frame a house with, not only are you you're getting crap, but you're
also
paying more than the ****ing boards are worth; it's green lumber and so
unless you get into a fresh unit, pretty much all of it will be warped and
cracked after 2 days of "picking over"

Clueless.

It doesn't warp until the bands are cut and someone starts "picking through
it"

You already told that lie.

Hemlock is probably the worst, many lumberyards refuse to carry it for this
very reason.

But they'll price match SYP against it, right?

Let's see..pay more for **** boards, or pay the same amount and get good
boards...and if you are only building a chicken coop and can actually use
**** boards, pay 30 cents on the dollar for them...

--yup, definitely a hard decision..

Yup, clueless.

My father in law is a home building contracter and has built several
thousand homes over his lifetime; he also does not buy lumber from Home
Depot or Lowes.

Some of my best friends have relatives who know contractors. sheesh

Apparently, he is also clueless...

Only your cluelessness is in evidence. I'll not trust your word on
this, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 07:55:44 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 23:05:25 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
m...

I prefer to pull my own lumber, rather than let them load up a lot of
rejects.

Agreed. I don't even let the "help" at the Borg help me. I'll take
my time, and yes, the pile will be as neat when I leave as when I got
there, if picked over. ;-)

A real lumber yard doesn't have a bunch of **** lumber in their yard to
begin with, and (at least where I'm at), the prices are usually the same
or
lower...

I call bull****, on both statements.

Additionally, they price match....

They're going to price match select or better KD against grade-B
trash. Sure they will. Here, put on this *long* sleeve jacket.

No, they're going to match product for product...

Here ou are acting as though you're an expert....but you've already told me that you haven't even seen a ****ing lumber yard in many years...

--And if any of it starts into warping etc then it goes into the "utility"
pile where a DF stud 2x4x8 currently sells for about 99 cents...

Oh, wood doesn't warp in your universe? What color is the sky over
there?

It doesn't warp until the bands are cut and some goof ball starts "picking
therough it"

Clueless. It starts warping the instant it starts drying. You might

No, it starts warping on moisture change....as soon start picking through it, unless you immediately band and strap it again

not see it until the stresses are allowed to relieve themselves but it
is.

No, as long as it's restrained, it will hold it's straightness, period.

IOW, if you're "picking over the pile" at Home Depot in order to find
boards
to frame a house with, not only are you you're getting crap, but you're
also
paying more than the ****ing boards are worth; it's green lumber and so
unless you get into a fresh unit, pretty much all of it will be warped and
cracked after 2 days of "picking over"

Clueless.

It doesn't warp until the bands are cut and someone starts "picking through
it"

You already told that lie.

Hemlock is probably the worst, many lumberyards refuse to carry it for this
very reason.

But they'll price match SYP against it, right?

No, they match price by species and grade.

Let's see..pay more for **** boards, or pay the same amount and get good
boards...and if you are only building a chicken coop and can actually use
**** boards, pay 30 cents on the dollar for them...

--yup, definitely a hard decision..

Yup, clueless.

My father in law is a home building contracter and has built several
thousand homes over his lifetime; he also does not buy lumber from Home
Depot or Lowes.

Some of my best friends have relatives who know contractors. sheesh

Apparently, he is also clueless...

Only your cluelessness is in evidence. I'll not trust your word on
this, either.

**** off and die, troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

**** off and die, troll.

That's funny. The guys from rec.crafts.metalworking and alt.home.repair
crosspost a bunch of threads over to rec.woodworking. They encounter some
opinions differing from their own. And then... they reply with "**** off
and die, troll". The only trolls in these threads are the cross posters
that are spreading their stuff outside of their own groups.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

**** off and die, troll.

That's funny. The guys from rec.crafts.metalworking and alt.home.repair
crosspost a bunch of threads over to rec.woodworking. They encounter some
opinions differing from their own. And then... they reply with "**** off
and die, troll". The only trolls in these threads are the cross posters
that are spreading their stuff outside of their own groups.

Reputable home building contractors rarely buy their lumber from Home Depot or Lowes, that's a fact, NOT an opinion.

Sorry, but when someone claims he "hasn't seen a lumber store in a decade" and turns around later and begins pretending to know all about how lumber stores conduct their daily business well then it should be pretty obvious to anyone with more than two functioning brain cells that he's a ****ing troll...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Reputable home building contractors rarely buy their lumber from Home
Depot or Lowes, that's a fact, NOT an opinion.

No - that is an opinion. Reputable home building contractors do indeed buy
their lumber from Home Depot. The very large, national ones may not because
they cut some corporate deal, but very reputable guys most certainly do.
That is a fact. I have seen it with my own eyes. What is your basis for
your statement?

Sorry, but when someone claims he "hasn't seen a lumber store in a
decade" and turns around later and begins pretending to know all
about how lumber stores conduct their daily business well then it
should be pretty obvious to anyone with more than two functioning
brain cells that he's a ****ing troll...

You have an interesting definition of a troll Let me guess - anyone who
does not agree with you.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ray wrote:

Around here, Lowe's and Home Depot offers a 10% disabled Veteran's
discount.

Year round, or just Veteran's day & Memorial day?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Reputable home building contractors rarely buy their lumber from Home
Depot or Lowes, that's a fact, NOT an opinion.

No - that is an opinion. Reputable home building contractors do indeed buy
their lumber from Home Depot. The very large, national ones may not because
they cut some corporate deal, but very reputable guys most certainly do.
That is a fact. I have seen it with my own eyes. What is your basis for
your statement?

The idiot doesn't know that they have offices in the rear of their
stores that cater to contractors. Or that contractors buy lumber by the
truckload. I couldn't find any T-111 plyood siding for over a month,
years ago because a contractor bought every pallet of it that 84,
Builder's Square, HD or Lowe's could get their hands on. All the
lumber yards had were a few damaged sheets.

Sorry, but when someone claims he "hasn't seen a lumber store in a
decade" and turns around later and begins pretending to know all
about how lumber stores conduct their daily business well then it
should be pretty obvious to anyone with more than two functioning
brain cells that he's a ****ing troll...

You have an interesting definition of a troll Let me guess - anyone who
does not agree with you.

He hates everyone, including himself.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ray wrote:

Around here, Lowe's and Home Depot offers a 10% disabled Veteran's
discount.

Year round, or just Veteran's day & Memorial day?

Double check on their websites, because I can't remember the specifics, but
I believe they both offer year round 10% discounts to retired vets (proof
required), and also to disabled vets. Regular old vets only get the
discount on 3 or 4 days of the year. It's on their web sites - might take a
bit of looking to find it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 16:48:23 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ray wrote:

Around here, Lowe's and Home Depot offers a 10% disabled Veteran's
discount.

Year round, or just Veteran's day & Memorial day?

Double check on their websites, because I can't remember the specifics, but
I believe they both offer year round 10% discounts to retired vets (proof
required), and also to disabled vets. Regular old vets only get the
discount on 3 or 4 days of the year. It's on their web sites - might take a
bit of looking to find it.

Not so much:

http://ext.homedepot.com/community/b...bute-discount/

The Home Depot offers a year-round, 10 percent discount, up to a $500
maximum, at our U.S. stores to all active duty military personnel,
reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families.
We offer this discount to thank them for their outstanding service to
this nation and to help make their homes more comfortable and safe.
Customers requesting the discount should present a valid military ID.

In addition, a 10 percent discount is also offered in recognition of
Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and Veterans Day at all U.S.
Home Depot stores for all other military veterans.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ray wrote:

[...]

I knew I was probably forgetting something. Forgot about the Active Duty,
Reservists, etc.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Reputable home building contractors rarely buy their lumber from Home
Depot or Lowes, that's a fact, NOT an opinion.

No - that is an opinion. Reputable home building contractors do indeed
buy their lumber from Home Depot. The very large, national ones may not
because they cut some corporate deal, but very reputable guys most
certainly do. That is a fact. I have seen it with my own eyes. What is
your basis for your statement?

Depends....what is your definition of "reputable" ?

Sorry, but when someone claims he "hasn't seen a lumber store in a
decade" and turns around later and begins pretending to know all
about how lumber stores conduct their daily business well then it
should be pretty obvious to anyone with more than two functioning
brain cells that he's a ****ing troll...

You have an interesting definition of a troll Let me guess - anyone who
does not agree with you.

Guess again, troll...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 16:09:23 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Reputable home building contractors rarely buy their lumber from Home
Depot or Lowes, that's a fact, NOT an opinion.

No - that is an opinion. Reputable home building contractors do indeed buy
their lumber from Home Depot. The very large, national ones may not because
they cut some corporate deal, but very reputable guys most certainly do.
That is a fact. I have seen it with my own eyes. What is your basis for
your statement?

Well, my father was in the building tradesmost of his life, and I have
friends in the building trades - and NONE of them buy their building
materials from Home Depot. If they need something for a small project
on the weekend they MIGHT pick up a few odds and ends because their
supplier is not open.

They will buy from the Home Building Supply (formerly Beaver Lumber up
here) or TimberMart, or one of the Rona associated lumber yards - or
any of a number of local "builders supply" yards.

For electrical and plumbing supplies, likewise.

If I need plumbing supplies Marks Supply is my first choice locally -
Home Hardware and One Stop Plumbing are tied for second choice,
followed by Canadian Tire , and Home Depot. Canadian Tire is closest
to home, followed by Home Hardware, then Home Depot, Marks, and One
Stop.

For electrical, Guillevan Supply, Pope Electric, Home Hardware and
Canadian Tire, and Home Depot. I don't bother with the big Rona store
and have not even been inside the new Lowes store just across town.

Dad dealt with a few other large electrical distributors that are not
as handy to me - but I use them when I need something specialized or
if Guillevan does not have it in stock (or I'm at the other side of
the county and need something).

Sorry, but when someone claims he "hasn't seen a lumber store in a
decade" and turns around later and begins pretending to know all
about how lumber stores conduct their daily business well then it
should be pretty obvious to anyone with more than two functioning
brain cells that he's a ****ing troll...

You have an interesting definition of a troll Let me guess - anyone who
does not agree with you.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 16:32:54 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

Locally some of the smaller renovation companies buy from the HD
"contractor's desk" - but none of the major home-builders.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 10:46:25 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 07:55:44 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
news On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 23:05:25 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
om...

I prefer to pull my own lumber, rather than let them load up a lot of
rejects.

Agreed. I don't even let the "help" at the Borg help me. I'll take
my time, and yes, the pile will be as neat when I leave as when I got
there, if picked over. ;-)

A real lumber yard doesn't have a bunch of **** lumber in their yard to
begin with, and (at least where I'm at), the prices are usually the same
or
lower...

I call bull****, on both statements.

Additionally, they price match....

They're going to price match select or better KD against grade-B
trash. Sure they will. Here, put on this *long* sleeve jacket.

No, they're going to match product for product...

Oh, but you said they didn't sell the trash that HD sells. I guess
you lied.

Hardly an expert but I can tell a bull****ter (but not much).

--And if any of it starts into warping etc then it goes into the "utility"
pile where a DF stud 2x4x8 currently sells for about 99 cents...

Oh, wood doesn't warp in your universe? What color is the sky over
there?

It doesn't warp until the bands are cut and some goof ball starts "picking
therough it"

Clueless. It starts warping the instant it starts drying. You might

No, it starts warping on moisture change....as soon start picking through it, unless you immediately band and strap it again

Clueless.

not see it until the stresses are allowed to relieve themselves but it
is.

No, as long as it's restrained, it will hold it's straightness, period.

Nope. The stresses are still there.

IOW, if you're "picking over the pile" at Home Depot in order to find
boards
to frame a house with, not only are you you're getting crap, but you're
also
paying more than the ****ing boards are worth; it's green lumber and so
unless you get into a fresh unit, pretty much all of it will be warped and
cracked after 2 days of "picking over"

Clueless.

It doesn't warp until the bands are cut and someone starts "picking through
it"

You already told that lie.

Hemlock is probably the worst, many lumberyards refuse to carry it for this
very reason.

But they'll price match SYP against it, right?

No, they match price by species and grade.

You already admitted the lie. You don't have to do it again.

Let's see..pay more for **** boards, or pay the same amount and get good
boards...and if you are only building a chicken coop and can actually use
**** boards, pay 30 cents on the dollar for them...

--yup, definitely a hard decision..

Yup, clueless.

My father in law is a home building contracter and has built several
thousand homes over his lifetime; he also does not buy lumber from Home
Depot or Lowes.

Some of my best friends have relatives who know contractors. sheesh

Apparently, he is also clueless...

Only your cluelessness is in evidence. I'll not trust your word on
this, either.

**** off and die, troll.

Most clueless asses don't like to be called on it. yawn
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

**** off and die, troll.

That's funny. The guys from rec.crafts.metalworking and alt.home.repair
crosspost a bunch of threads over to rec.woodworking. They encounter some
opinions differing from their own. And then... they reply with "**** off
and die, troll". The only trolls in these threads are the cross posters
that are spreading their stuff outside of their own groups.

Reputable home building contractors rarely buy their lumber from Home Depot or Lowes, that's a fact, NOT an opinion.

Another lie.

Sorry, but when someone claims he "hasn't seen a lumber store in a decade" and turns around later and begins pretending to know all about how lumber stores conduct their daily business well then it should be pretty obvious to anyone with more than two functioning brain cells that he's a ****ing troll...

You can't even keep your story straight. It's clear you're full of
****. I just called you on it and you're pouting. Poor baby.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

Around here, major home builders means entire subdivisions of
identical houses, or modular homes. We had three modular home
factories, till the housing bubble burst. All on rail lines who bought
directly from OEMs and had the lumber & chassis delivered by rail.

The custom builders deal with everyone, including HD & Lowe's, if they
can find what they want at the right price. Around here, most of the
smaller 'lumberyards' & 'hardware stores' catered to modular home
industry, and sold the surplus when it was available. One of those is
now in the scrap metal business, with very little lumber left. In an
area with a very high percentage of retirees, not many people build
their own homes. We wouldn't have two Lowes & a HD if the builders
didn't buy from them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ray wrote:

[...]

The local HD told me they only offer it on the two days I stated, a
few months ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The local HD told me they only offer it on the two days I stated, a
few months ago.

Not really a surprise that they got it wrong. That particular policy is
fairly new and caused a huge amount of confusion within the ranks at HD when
it came out. It was not as clearly articulated initially. Not surprising
there are still people who misunderstand it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 22:34:55 -0500, the renowned "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The local HD told me they only offer it on the two days I stated, a
few months ago.

Not really a surprise that they got it wrong. That particular policy is
fairly new and caused a huge amount of confusion within the ranks at HD when
it came out. It was not as clearly articulated initially. Not surprising
there are still people who misunderstand it.

They have a number to call if you are refused the discount.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The local HD told me they only offer it on the two days I stated, a
few months ago.

Not really a surprise that they got it wrong. That particular policy is
fairly new and caused a huge amount of confusion within the ranks at HD when
it came out. It was not as clearly articulated initially. Not surprising
there are still people who misunderstand it.

It has been an on again, off again policy for almost a decade around
here. HD's latest change is in response to Lowe's updated policies.

Lowes Web Site / Lowes knows Colbyt Home Repair 0 April 22nd 10 07:56 PM
Tools at lowes brianlanning Woodworking 12 May 3rd 05 07:09 AM
Boiler at Lowes? No Home Repair 1 March 25th 05 08:09 PM
Aluminum at Lowes [email protected] Metalworking 7 January 28th 05 11:26 PM