Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Freud Thin Kerf blades

I hope you all will excuse this post since it has absolutely nothing to
do with the election, politics, health care or, gasp, getting ripped off
by a woodworking supply company.g

Anyone care to provide a user review for the Freud Premier 40T thin kerf
blade. Appears to be a combo with that sexy red finish.

All that I've seen about it indicate that it's a winner. Been looking
for a nice combo/general purpose blade to avoid switching back and forth
during small projects.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 12, 2012 12:00:56 PM UTC-8, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
I hope you all will excuse this post since it has absolutely nothing to do with the election, politics, health care or, gasp, getting ripped off by a woodworking supply company.g Anyone care to provide a user review for the Freud Premier 40T thin kerf blade. Appears to be a combo with that sexy red finish. All that I've seen about it indicate that it's a winner. Been looking for a nice combo/general purpose blade to avoid switching back and forth during small projects.

Probably a great blade, just be careful if you buy it from Peachtree Woodworking. Go Romney.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Confused wrote:
I hope you all will excuse this post since it has absolutely
nothing to do with the election, politics, health care or, gasp,
getting ripped off by a woodworking supply company.g Anyone care
to provide a user review for the Freud Premier 40T thin kerf blade.
Appears to be a combo with that sexy red finish. All that I've seen
about it indicate that it's a winner. Been looking for a nice
combo/general purpose blade to avoid switching back and forth
during small projects.

Probably a great blade, just be careful if you buy it from Peachtree
Woodworking. Go Romney.

LOL!

Actually, Rockler is selling it at their normal price and free
shipping, but including a $30 gift card with the purchase. So, for a
net of $50 I'll roll the dice and give it a whirl

Posted to rec.woodworking

I hope you all will excuse this post since it has absolutely nothing to
do with the election, politics, health care or, gasp, getting ripped off
by a woodworking supply company.g

Anyone care to provide a user review for the Freud Premier 40T thin kerf
blade. Appears to be a combo with that sexy red finish.

All that I've seen about it indicate that it's a winner. Been looking
for a nice combo/general purpose blade to avoid switching back and forth
during small projects.

Don't use think kerf any more, but those that like think kerf will
probably give it a good response.

IMHO it is inherently flawed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 12, 2012 8:19:29 PM UTC-8, Leon wrote:
On 11/12/2012 2:00 PM, Unquestionably Confused wrote: I hope you all will excuse this post since it has absolutely nothing to do with the election, politics, health care or, gasp, getting ripped off by a woodworking supply company.g Anyone care to provide a user review for the Freud Premier 40T thin kerf blade. Appears to be a combo with that sexy red finish. All that I've seen about it indicate that it's a winner. Been looking for a nice combo/general purpose blade to avoid switching back and forth during small projects. Don't use think kerf any more, but those that like think kerf will probably give it a good response. IMHO it is inherently flawed.

Quite appropriate in ripping configurations on under powered saws. Really do take less power to cut so extend the capabilities of the saw. However, I have had issues with side chatter and I hate edge sanding so slowly reverting back to full kerf myself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:39:56 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

[...]

Only had a small experience with thin kerf back when I was trying to
turn a craftsman into a real saw. Did the special belt, added a vega
fence, and tried a thin kerf blade. Something to watch out for as I
found was adding blade stabilizers. The one's I had from Craftsman
actually made the blade run out worse. This was early 80's so there
is probably improvement. I went to a Forest WWII and haven't look
back. Should probably add that I also went to a used Unisaw. Actually
have the new 48 toothe version but haven't tried it yet.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Quite appropriate in ripping configurations on under powered saws.
Really do take less power to cut so extend the capabilities of the
saw. However, I have had issues with side chatter and I hate edge
sanding so slowly reverting back to full kerf myself.

Wondering if the Freud anti-vibration relief cuts in the blade will cure
or mitigate that problem, if any, with the blade. We'll see, I guess.

Only had a small experience with thin kerf back when I was trying to
turn a craftsman into a real saw. Did the special belt, added a
vega fence, and tried a thin kerf blade. Something to watch out for
as I found was adding blade stabilizers. The one's I had from
Craftsman actually made the blade run out worse. This was early 80's
so there is probably improvement. I went to a Forest WWII and
haven't look back. Should probably add that I also went to a used
Unisaw. Actually have the new 48 toothe version but haven't tried it
yet.

For the price I figure I have little to lose given the reputation and
reviews for the Freud.

Really just looking for a good all purpose blade to avoid having to swap
them out (crosscut vs rip) all the time when tackling little projects
(which it seems that most are these daysg)

If I have a lot of ripping to do, I'll definitely take the time and swap
in my ~30 year old Freud (forget the model number). That blade on a
properly set up table or radial arm saw will give a glue ready edge
that's smooth as a baby's a**. Even though it's full kerf, it still
cuts like a hot knife through butter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I like to make the comparison of using a 1/4" shank bit vs a 1/2" shank bit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I did pretty much the same thing with the same basic saw with a 1 hp
motor. I was never happy with any blade that I used until the shop that
I used to resharpen blades sold me a Systematic reg kerf blade. He said
try it out for a week and if you don't like it bring it back. That was
around 1988. I sold the saw 11 years later with the same blade on it
and AAMOF the same blade is on that saw today. No telling how many
times it has been resharpened.

Did you know that Forrest now makes a dedicated rip blade???
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Quite appropriate in ripping configurations on under powered saws.
Really do take less power to cut so extend the capabilities of the
saw. However, I have had issues with side chatter and I hate edge
sanding so slowly reverting back to full kerf myself.

Wondering if the Freud anti-vibration relief cuts in the blade will cure
or mitigate that problem, if any, with the blade. We'll see, I guess.

Your biggest problem/concern will probably be from blade flex,
especially when making bevel or compound angle cuts, and or going from
hard to soft spots when ripping. It might sorta/so to speak cut around
an area with a knot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/12 5:16 AM, Mike M wrote:

Only had a small experience with thin kerf back when I was trying to
turn a craftsman into a real saw. Did the special belt, added a vega
fence, and tried a thin kerf blade. Something to watch out for as I
found was adding blade stabilizers. The one's I had from Craftsman
actually made the blade run out worse. This was early 80's so there
is probably improvement. I went to a Forest WWII and haven't look
back. Should probably add that I also went to a used Unisaw. Actually
have the new 48 toothe version but haven't tried it yet.

Mike M

LMAO! That's like saying, "I was having trouble with the tires on my
Honda Prelude, but I bought some racing tires and haven't looked back.
I should probably add that I went to a Porsche 911 Turbo." :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2012 11:05 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/13/12 5:16 AM, Mike M wrote:

Only had a small experience with thin kerf back when I was trying to
turn a craftsman into a real saw. Did the special belt, added a vega
fence, and tried a thin kerf blade. Something to watch out for as I
found was adding blade stabilizers. The one's I had from Craftsman
actually made the blade run out worse. This was early 80's so there
is probably improvement. I went to a Forest WWII and haven't look
back. Should probably add that I also went to a used Unisaw. Actually
have the new 48 toothe version but haven't tried it yet.

Mike M

LMAO! That's like saying, "I was having trouble with the tires on my
Honda Prelude, but I bought some racing tires and haven't looked back.
I should probably add that I went to a Porsche 911 Turbo." :-)

‰¥ +1

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:05:38 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/13/12 5:16 AM, Mike M wrote:

Only had a small experience with thin kerf back when I was trying to
turn a craftsman into a real saw. Did the special belt, added a vega
fence, and tried a thin kerf blade. Something to watch out for as I
found was adding blade stabilizers. The one's I had from Craftsman
actually made the blade run out worse. This was early 80's so there
is probably improvement. I went to a Forest WWII and haven't look
back. Should probably add that I also went to a used Unisaw. Actually
have the new 48 toothe version but haven't tried it yet.

Mike M

LMAO! That's like saying, "I was having trouble with the tires on my
Honda Prelude, but I bought some racing tires and haven't looked back.
I should probably add that I went to a Porsche 911 Turbo." :-)

Guilty as Charged. 8-) I went from the beginning to the end.
Actually went to a full Kerf Systematic blade and it did pretty darn
good with that Craftsman saw. But your analogy is pretty accurate.

Mike M

Thin-Kerf Blades Perry Aynum Woodworking 35 March 2nd 09 06:04 AM
thin kerf or reg keft ts blades? Kevin Woodworking 9 January 25th 08 12:11 AM
Full kerf or thin kerf DJ Woodworking 31 July 30th 06 09:52 PM
Thin kerf blades? noxpurt Woodworking 16 May 5th 06 08:14 PM
Good thin-kerf blades BUB 209 Woodworking 7 February 8th 05 02:14 AM