Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Freud Thin Kerf blades

On 11/13/2012 5:16 AM, Mike M wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:39:56 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

On Monday, November 12, 2012 8:19:29 PM UTC-8, Leon wrote:
On 11/12/2012 2:00 PM, Unquestionably Confused wrote: I hope you all will excuse this post since it has absolutely nothing to do with the election, politics, health care or, gasp, getting ripped off by a woodworking supply company.g Anyone care to provide a user review for the Freud Premier 40T thin kerf blade. Appears to be a combo with that sexy red finish. All that I've seen about it indicate that it's a winner. Been looking for a nice combo/general purpose blade to avoid switching back and forth during small projects. Don't use think kerf any more, but those that like think kerf will probably give it a good response. IMHO it is inherently flawed.

Quite appropriate in ripping configurations on under powered saws. Really do take less power to cut so extend the capabilities of the saw. However, I have had issues with side chatter and I hate edge sanding so slowly reverting back to full kerf myself.

Only had a small experience with thin kerf back when I was trying to
turn a craftsman into a real saw. Did the special belt, added a vega
fence, and tried a thin kerf blade. Something to watch out for as I
found was adding blade stabilizers. The one's I had from Craftsman
actually made the blade run out worse. This was early 80's so there
is probably improvement. I went to a Forest WWII and haven't look
back. Should probably add that I also went to a used Unisaw. Actually
have the new 48 toothe version but haven't tried it yet.

Mike M

I did pretty much the same thing with the same basic saw with a 1 hp
motor. I was never happy with any blade that I used until the shop that
I used to resharpen blades sold me a Systematic reg kerf blade. He said
try it out for a week and if you don't like it bring it back. That was
around 1988. I sold the saw 11 years later with the same blade on it
and AAMOF the same blade is on that saw today. No telling how many
times it has been resharpened.

Did you know that Forrest now makes a dedicated rip blade???