Steve Knight

Default How could this happen to my poor planer?

check out the pic's. man this really suck rocks.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/m...es;read=168320

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Tom

Wow, izzat blood?? Oh, yeah, you're the exotic wood plane guy! Does suck, man.
And not in a good way. Tom
Work at your leisure!
patriarch

Steve Knight wrote in
:

check out the pic's. man this really suck rocks.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/m...es;read=168320

You mean to say that you use POWER TOOLS to make hand planes? I'm shocked,
dismayed, and pulling your leg!

Maybe it hit a particulary nasty spot of purpleheart?

Patriarch,
(lusting in his heart over the new bubinga inlay coffin smoother...)
BruceR

patriarch wrote:
Steve Knight wrote in
:

check out the pic's. man this really suck rocks.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/m...es;read=168320

You mean to say that you use POWER TOOLS to make hand planes? I'm shocked,
dismayed, and pulling your leg!

Maybe it hit a particulary nasty spot of purpleheart?

Patriarch,
(lusting in his heart over the new bubinga inlay coffin smoother...)

This happened to my 560 as well (not near as bad!). Wood fibers get
caught (jammed) between the knife and retainer. The problem was a small
burr on the retainers "lug" that mates with the holes in the blade. This
burr kept the retainer from fulling seating and left a weak spot where
the fibers could get caught. Once a small gap opens up all hell can
break loose as more crap gets wedged in there. My repair only involved
removing the burr, bending the retainer back in shape and reinstalling.
Kinda bugged me that I didn't bother checking all that stuff out before
I ran the first boards through. Your case will certainly require a new
retainer and blade.

-Bruce

Edwin Pawlowski

"BruceR" wrote in message

This happened to my 560 as well (not near as bad!). Wood fibers get
caught (jammed) between the knife and retainer.

Had a less serious but similar thing with my 580 The blades were getting
dull and I had just a couple more passes to go. All of a sudden, it was
noisy as hell and cut a concave area in the board. ****ed me off as it was
the last of the maple stock I had. Blade was bent but the retainer was OK.

Now I keep an extra set of blades on hand and vow never again to tray to get
that last pass or two when I know they are getting dull.
Ed

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:13:52 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

check out the pic's. man this really suck rocks.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/m...es;read=168320

do you sometimes push it hard for long periods?

I suspect that the blades are engineered to transfer some heat through
the cutterhead for cooling. if you pushed it hard enough to heat up
the blades and the blade warped up a little, sawdust could get in
there and the blade would lose contact and heat up faster, so the gap
would grow as the sawdust packed in and the blade heated.

or maybe that's not how it happened.

so how come you don't have a full size planer?
Scott Lurndal

Steve Knight writes:
check out the pic's. man this really suck rocks.

If you have bottom rollers on that planer, I'd check to see
if they are adjusted properly. Looks like the wood you
were planing (paduak?) caught on someting as it was feeding
through. Possibly the chipbreaker if that planer has one.

Was it a long or short piece?

scott

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/m...es;read=168320

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve Knight

do you sometimes push it hard for long periods?

no not really at most I may run 30 passes through but the boards are usually no
more then 3" wide and 24" long. usually I do less at a time.

so how come you don't have a full size planer?

I work with small pieces of wood. I can run 6" long pieces through this. plus
I could not afford it. I seldom run anything over 36" long and 3" wide through
it.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

If you have bottom rollers on that planer, I'd check to see
if they are adjusted properly. Looks like the wood you
were planing (paduak?) caught on someting as it was feeding
through. Possibly the chipbreaker if that planer has one.

I think it happened over time not all at once.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes