BruceR

Default How could this happen to my poor planer?

patriarch wrote:
Steve Knight wrote in
:

check out the pic's. man this really suck rocks.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/m...es;read=168320

You mean to say that you use POWER TOOLS to make hand planes? I'm shocked,
dismayed, and pulling your leg!

Maybe it hit a particulary nasty spot of purpleheart?

Patriarch,
(lusting in his heart over the new bubinga inlay coffin smoother...)

This happened to my 560 as well (not near as bad!). Wood fibers get
caught (jammed) between the knife and retainer. The problem was a small
burr on the retainers "lug" that mates with the holes in the blade. This
burr kept the retainer from fulling seating and left a weak spot where
the fibers could get caught. Once a small gap opens up all hell can
break loose as more crap gets wedged in there. My repair only involved
removing the burr, bending the retainer back in shape and reinstalling.
Kinda bugged me that I didn't bother checking all that stuff out before
I ran the first boards through. Your case will certainly require a new
retainer and blade.

-Bruce