Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Big Iron

http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Damn thing wouldn't fit in my shop ...

Wonder what a12" WWII is worth?

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/17/2012 12:49 PM, Leon wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Oh, 600 lb is just a baby for cast iron...

Check on some of the vintage beasties...

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=4695

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
On 10/17/2012 12:49 PM, Leon wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Oh, 600 lb is just a baby for cast iron...

Check on some of the vintage beasties...

Oye! Ya wanna know where you're going to put that when you get it home.
That ain't the tool to try over here, or maybe over there...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/17/2012 6:58 PM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Damn thing wouldn't fit in my shop ...

Wonder what a12" WWII is worth?

I think you could make it fit, but you would have to put 6 piers under
it. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/17/2012 7:11 PM, dpb wrote:
On 10/17/2012 12:49 PM, Leon wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Oh, 600 lb is just a baby for cast iron...

Check on some of the vintage beasties...

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=4695

--

I meant to refer to NEW big iron and the 80" cast iron top, then there
is this at 2000 lbs.

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com.../sawroller.htm

But for only 1000 lbs a 16" TS

http://www.olivermachinery.net/index...d=5&model=4060
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/17/2012 7:56 PM, Leon wrote:
On 10/17/2012 6:58 PM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Damn thing wouldn't fit in my shop ...

Wonder what a12" WWII is worth?

I think you could make it fit, but you would have to put 6 piers under
it. ;~)

That's so far out of reach for me it's not even funny.
I have a $100 garage shop. Tools cost $100.
(I splurged on the plainer. but it has paid for itself manby times over)
Double car garage. (we have a storage shed for the garden toys)
That's my so called shop.
a small table saw, miter chop saw, small band saw, drill press, and
10 or 12 bags of hand tools sorted by type.

No. That's for a pro shop.

A saw like that, you build a shop around it.

And its' friends.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/17/2012 6:58 PM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Damn thing wouldn't fit in my shop ...

Wonder what a12" WWII is worth?

Damn! Only $11 more than a 10"

http://www.forrestblades.com/woodworker_2.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 22:30:47 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/17/2012 6:58 PM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Damn thing wouldn't fit in my shop ...

Wonder what a12" WWII is worth?

Damn! Only $11 more than a 10"

http://www.forrestblades.com/woodworker_2.htm

"Sure. An arm, a leg, and only a tenspot more for larger models!"
quoth the cheap bastid.

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 12:49:29 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Don't know the cost but guessing it would be better to suck up to the
Saw Stop and build large infeed and outfeed tables.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:41:25 PM UTC-5, Mike M wrote:
Don't know the cost but.... Mike M

Buy online from Woodcraft, $4089.00, so, you need big iron to pry open your wallet, too.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 05:38:35 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:41:25 PM UTC-5, Mike M wrote:
Don't know the cost but.... Mike M

Buy online from Woodcraft, $4089.00, so, you need big iron to pry open your wallet, too.

That's a 6-crowbar + ether operation there, Sonny.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

The one in the picture is a left tilt. I'm wondering what part of the
mechanism is in the left side bulge on the saw. Usually, a left tilt
has a space for the moving trunnion on the right side.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:41:18 -0700, Mike M
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

Don't know the cost but guessing it would be better to suck up to the
Saw Stop and build large infeed and outfeed tables.

Jet lists two dealers. One at $3600 and the second at $4000. And,
that's without most of the accessories.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Don't know the cost but guessing it would be better to suck up to the
Saw Stop and build large infeed and outfeed tables.

Mike M

IIRC I saw it offered somewhere at $3999. You are probably right unless
you need the extra capacity of the 12" blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

The one in the picture is a left tilt. I'm wondering what part of the
mechanism is in the left side bulge on the saw. Usually, a left tilt
has a space for the moving trunnion on the right side.

The motor swings in that bulge, pretty typical actually. My Jet is the
same and IIRC the Unisaws are/were too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/17/2012 6:58 PM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Damn thing wouldn't fit in my shop ...

Wonder what a12" WWII is worth?

Damn! Only $11 more than a 10"

http://www.forrestblades.com/woodworker_2.htm

"Sure. An arm, a leg, and only a tenspot more for larger models!"
quoth the cheap bastid.

It's a wonder you never got married! ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 08:12:41 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
The motor swings in that bulge, pretty typical actually. My Jet is the
same and IIRC the Unisaws are/were too.

Ok, my thought processes are in contractor saw mode with the motor
directly astern and swings up to the right when you do angled cuts. I
was thinking cabinet saws had the motor directly beneath the blade,
but I guess with the trunnion there, it would just as logical to have
the motor left side of the blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/18/2012 8:42 AM, Dave wrote:

but I guess with the trunnion there, it would just as logical to have
the motor left side of the blade.

Far more so, actually...having one, I happen to keep this bookmark
handy...there's exploded diagram at rear...

http://www.lexington.woodworkersguild.org/shop/manuals/Powermatic%20Model%2066%20Table%20Saw%20Manual.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 8:42 AM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 08:12:41 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
The motor swings in that bulge, pretty typical actually. My Jet is the
same and IIRC the Unisaws are/were too.

Ok, my thought processes are in contractor saw mode with the motor
directly astern and swings up to the right when you do angled cuts. I
was thinking cabinet saws had the motor directly beneath the blade,
but I guess with the trunnion there, it would just as logical to have
the motor left side of the blade.

Actually the majority of cabinet saws in the US have the motor situated
just like a contractors saw except the motor is below the blade rather
than behind the blade. The motor is also much closer t teh blade with
much shorter belts. Additionally the motor is about 50% longer and 25%
larger in diameter. When making 90 degree cuts the motor sticks out of
the cabinet, when making 45 degree bevel cuts the motor is pretty much
inside the cabinet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/17/2012 10:49 AM, Leon wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Sort of "big iron"...

My 1966 Delta 34-450 12/14 comes in at 850lbs.
My top is 38"x48".

Delta was making the big stuff in 1939, so Jet is a tad
late in getting in the game.

It appears to be a carbon copy of the Delta machine, while the
top size is smaller. I must admit the riving knife would appeal
to me.

For the true "Big Iron", one needs to step up to
http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/4saw.htm
note the shipping weight....

or one of my favorites that I will never own....

http://www.altendorf.de/en/products/...5-elmo-iv.html

or

http://www.felderusa.com/us-us/products/table-saws.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 13:33:37 -0700, Pat Barber
wrote:

On 10/17/2012 10:49 AM, Leon wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Sort of "big iron"...

My 1966 Delta 34-450 12/14 comes in at 850lbs.
My top is 38"x48".

Delta was making the big stuff in 1939, so Jet is a tad
late in getting in the game.

It appears to be a carbon copy of the Delta machine, while the
top size is smaller. I must admit the riving knife would appeal
to me.

For the true "Big Iron", one needs to step up to
http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/4saw.htm
note the shipping weight....

or one of my favorites that I will never own....

http://www.altendorf.de/en/products/...5-elmo-iv.html

or

http://www.felderusa.com/us-us/products/table-saws.html

Now you are talking. I was going to post the Grizzly model that would
try to compete with it, but I'd guess the Felder is a bit out of
Grizzly's league. Oh, well, here it is anyway; for a mere $12,350 (on
sale, delivered):

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/14-10-...Controls/G0620

Shipping weight: 2717 lbs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/17/2012 6:58 PM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Damn thing wouldn't fit in my shop ...

Wonder what a12" WWII is worth?

Damn! Only $11 more than a 10"

http://www.forrestblades.com/woodworker_2.htm

"Sure. An arm, a leg, and only a tenspot more for larger models!"
quoth the cheap bastid.

It's a wonder you never got married! ;~)

No it isn't. I'm ambidextrous. Rosie Palmer is a -way- cheaper date
than an ex-wife. g

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 3:33 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 10/17/2012 10:49 AM, Leon wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Sort of "big iron"...

My 1966 Delta 34-450 12/14 comes in at 850lbs.
My top is 38"x48".

Big Iron, not heavy Iron, The Jet is 31"x80" of iron, 2240 sq inches of
iron table surface, yours, 1824 square inches of table surface assuming
all of it is iron.

Delta was making the big stuff in 1939, so Jet is a tad
late in getting in the game.

Was.

It appears to be a carbon copy of the Delta machine, while the
top size is smaller. I must admit the riving knife would appeal
to me.

For the true "Big Iron", one needs to step up to
http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/4saw.htm
note the shipping weight....

I have already pointed that out in another post.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 22:35:22 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/18/2012 3:33 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 10/17/2012 10:49 AM, Leon wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Sort of "big iron"...

My 1966 Delta 34-450 12/14 comes in at 850lbs.
My top is 38"x48".

Big Iron, not heavy Iron, The Jet is 31"x80" of iron, 2240 sq inches of
iron table surface, yours, 1824 square inches of table surface assuming
all of it is iron.

Oh, well then the Grizzly G0620's 3300 sq inches might be in
competition after all. Can't tell if the table is all (or any) cast
iron, but the weight (2517 lbs) suggests it could be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 18:33:35 -0700, Jim Weisgram
http://www.altendorf.de/en/products/...5-elmo-iv.html
http://www.felderusa.com/us-us/products/table-saws.html

I`ve always wondered what kind of difference there was between two
saws like these ones Big price difference obviously, but I`m wondering
about exacting cutting tolerances and capabilities.

I`ve looked but haven`t yet found any test review comparisons of two
saws like these ones.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/18/2012 3:33 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 10/17/2012 10:49 AM, Leon wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.

Sort of "big iron"...

My 1966 Delta 34-450 12/14 comes in at 850lbs.
My top is 38"x48".

Big Iron, not heavy Iron, The Jet is 31"x80" of iron, 2240 sq inches of
iron table surface, yours, 1824 square inches of table surface assuming
all of it is iron.

Oh, well then the Grizzly G0620's 3300 sq inches might be in
competition after all. Can't tell if the table is all (or any) cast
iron, but the weight (2517 lbs) suggests it could be.

I don't know about the Griz but the Knapp built Laguna saw of this
caliber had aircraft quality aluminum moving tables.
I have had the hots for the Laguna model ever since I watched a demo DVD
with the owner of Laguna showing all the features. The one that sold me
was with him sitting on top of the sliding table and giving a little
push to ride out to the end of travel. Slick!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/17/2012 6:58 PM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.
Damn thing wouldn't fit in my shop ...

Wonder what a12" WWII is worth?

Damn! Only $11 more than a 10"

http://www.forrestblades.com/woodworker_2.htm
"Sure. An arm, a leg, and only a tenspot more for larger models!"
quoth the cheap bastid.

It's a wonder you never got married! ;~)

No it isn't. I'm ambidextrous. Rosie Palmer is a -way- cheaper date
than an ex-wife. g

It was Lily Palmer in my day.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/17/2012 6:58 PM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufactu...roduct=1637120

You might need a block and tackle to assemble it.
Damn thing wouldn't fit in my shop ...

Wonder what a12" WWII is worth?

Damn! Only $11 more than a 10"

http://www.forrestblades.com/woodworker_2.htm
"Sure. An arm, a leg, and only a tenspot more for larger models!"
quoth the cheap bastid.

It's a wonder you never got married! ;~)

No it isn't. I'm ambidextrous. Rosie Palmer is a -way- cheaper date
than an ex-wife. g

It was Lily Palmer in my day.

Rosie's her granddaughter, y'olde farte.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 07:50:15 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I don't know about the Griz but the Knapp built Laguna saw of this
caliber had aircraft quality aluminum moving tables.
I have had the hots for the Laguna model ever since I watched a demo DVD
with the owner of Laguna showing all the features. The one that sold me
was with him sitting on top of the sliding table and giving a little
push to ride out to the end of travel. Slick!

I like this one. At $22,000 used, it's the equivalent of a down
payment on a house.
http://www.machineryassociates.com/A...-For-Sale-3966

BTW, would you have a link by any chance to a video/youtube of that
guy riding that Knapp Laguna?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/17/2012 8:00 PM, Leon wrote:

I meant to refer to NEW big iron and the 80" cast iron top, then there
is this at 2000 lbs.

I'm partial to OLDer the better big iron meself...wish had the 3PH power
and a shop area that could handle it. Miss the access had in VA,
particularly...

In particular since I do have the RAS that is 16" I don't lack for saw
capacity but I pine for a 16" or larger jointer in the worstest way...

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=6870
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=4296

Of course, 20+" would be even better...

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=4276

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/19/2012 11:43 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:
wrote:

On 10/17/2012 8:00 PM, Leon wrote:

I meant to refer to NEW big iron and the 80" cast iron top, then there
is this at 2000 lbs.

I'm partial to OLDer the better big iron meself...wish had the 3PH power
and a shop area that could handle it. Miss the access had in VA,
particularly...

In particular since I do have the RAS that is 16" I don't lack for saw
capacity but I pine for a 16" or larger jointer in the worstest way...

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=6870
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=4296

Of course, 20+" would be even better...

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=4276

They are out the
http://mansfield.craigslist.org/tls/3344824460.html

Oh, yes, they are....I just don't have the floor space anywhere that has
the necessary clearance and headroom that has the floor that will hold
'em up...the old barn is big but very little actual open space what w/
the support partitions, stalls, etc., and it's very low headroom as as
much height as possible was put into the hayloft space.

It, while it would make a wonderful working space being almost
completely open and essentially no limit up, would take a tremendous
amount of work to shore up to support such a point load not to mention
the problem of then needing a freight elevator that would handle stuff,
etc., etc., etc., ... Believe me, I've thought a lot about how kewl it
would be to open a larger dormer for the purpose and if I were 30 yr or
so younger, maybe...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 8:35 PM, Leon wrote:

Big Iron, not heavy Iron, The Jet is 31"x80" of iron, 2240 sq inches of
iron table surface, yours, 1824 square inches of table surface assuming
all of it is iron.

The Jet standard table size is 31"x24"...the 80" is a result of a
"extension wing".

My saw still weighs 200 lbs more with a "smaller" table ???

Yes...the entire top of the Delta is cast iron.

How is the Jet bigger yet 200+ lbs lighter ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/22/2012 2:20 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 10/18/2012 8:35 PM, Leon wrote:

Big Iron, not heavy Iron, The Jet is 31"x80" of iron, 2240 sq inches of
iron table surface, yours, 1824 square inches of table surface assuming
all of it is iron.

The Jet standard table size is 31"x24"...the 80" is a result of a
"extension wing".

Correct and that extension wing is all CAST IRON.

My saw still weighs 200 lbs more with a "smaller" table ???

? What is your point, still talking large iron surface, see title of
thread.

Yes...the entire top of the Delta is cast iron.

Yes.... the entire surface of the Jet and extension is all cast iron.

How is the Jet bigger yet 200+ lbs lighter ?

Not over built where it does not need to be overbuilt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/22/2012 5:33 PM, Leon wrote:

How is the Jet bigger yet 200+ lbs lighter ?

Not over built where it does not need to be overbuilt.

Well I have to admit that Jet continues to make some of the
finest reproductions in woodworking equipment that you can buy.

I think I have carried this thread much further than need be.