Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Big Iron

On 10/18/2012 8:42 AM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 08:12:41 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
The motor swings in that bulge, pretty typical actually. My Jet is the
same and IIRC the Unisaws are/were too.

Ok, my thought processes are in contractor saw mode with the motor
directly astern and swings up to the right when you do angled cuts. I
was thinking cabinet saws had the motor directly beneath the blade,
but I guess with the trunnion there, it would just as logical to have
the motor left side of the blade.

Actually the majority of cabinet saws in the US have the motor situated
just like a contractors saw except the motor is below the blade rather
than behind the blade. The motor is also much closer t teh blade with
much shorter belts. Additionally the motor is about 50% longer and 25%
larger in diameter. When making 90 degree cuts the motor sticks out of
the cabinet, when making 45 degree bevel cuts the motor is pretty much
inside the cabinet.