Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I use a clothes iron in place of "seam iron" on carpet?

I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a seam in a
hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
- What setting?
- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a
seam in a hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
- What setting?
- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

Without a doubt on this one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a
seam in a hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
- What setting?
- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it
before it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

Without a doubt on this one.

The better question is "will it work." You can get an iron at Walmart for
$6.00. Use it and toss it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Bob F wrote:
blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along
a seam in a hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
- What setting?
- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it
before it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

Without a doubt on this one.

The better question is "will it work." You can get an iron at Walmart
for $6.00. Use it and toss it.

I'd get one at a thrift skop or garage sale, or ask on freeecycle.

Lot's of people throw them away after burning something onto them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 11:26*am, blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a seam in a
hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
* *- What setting?
* *- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
* it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

How about Hot Glue?

http://www.redtopic.com/seam-repair.html

Lot's of tips for a good seam...

http://www.rlapolymers.com.au/new_po...seam_tips.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 writes:

On Jun 30, 11:26*am, blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a seam in a
hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
* *- What setting?
* *- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
* it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

How about Hot Glue?

http://www.redtopic.com/seam-repair.html

Lot's of tips for a good seam...

http://www.rlapolymers.com.au/new_po...seam_tips.html

All very good ideas which gave me a couple of ones that worked...
Two in particular:

1. I ended up using my HEAT GUN to melt the tape. Since I didn't want
to burn my house down or melt the carpet I was very careful to
(mostly) use the low setting and to keep the tip very close to the
tape. As a precaution, I also wet the underlying wood floor and the
top of the carpet. I melted about 6-12" of tape at a time, keeping the
carpet clear of the tape and the heat gun. I then use my fingers to
align the seam edges together and a scrap of 2x4 wood to apply
pressure. All in all, this worked quite well.

2. For touch up spots, I used my $5 Radio Shack AA-battery powered
"throwaway" SOLDERING IRON. Its fine tip was just perfect for
fitting in to small cracks to melt the glue in some inaccessible
spots.

Now if I had a long run to do or if I were working on expensive
carpet, I would call in a pro or at least rent a steaming iron. But
for the short run of cheap carpet that we have in our closet hallway,
this way worked just fine -- and all it cost me was the $6 for a roll
of seaming tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:

[...]

Thank You for the report!

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 11:26*am, blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a seam in a
hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
* *- What setting?
* *- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
* it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

Years ago I watched my sister in law do it. The carpet stuck well but
and she used my mothers iron which was still fine when she got
through. She also had a lot of experience installing carpet. I would
think that anything that would ruin a regular iron would also ruin a
seaming iron so you would want to be careful and not get glue on
anything. I think I remember her using some kinf of paper between the
iron and the carpet, maybe waxed paper or something like that.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:26:22 AM UTC-5, blueman wrote:
I have a small run of wall-to-wall carpet that I want to join along a seam in a
hallway -- maybe 3 feet across.

I purchased some carpet heat bond tape at the Borg.
Can I use an old clothes iron to activate the teap and make the seam
or do I need to rent a real seaming iron?

If so, how do I use the iron properly?
- What setting?
- How do I heat the tape?

- How much time do I have after heating the tape to position it before
it hardens?

Will this make a big mess and ruin the iron?

go to youtube. i could explain but there are plenty of vidieos out there that will walk you through it. its not hard to do at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

To use on glue tape

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 01:00:29 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

To use on glue tape

It works but it is tough on the iron. Be sure it is one your wife
doesn't want. It also does not work in the gap like a real carpet
iron. You need to iron the back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 14:17:30 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 10:53:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

wrote:

To use on glue tape

It works but it is tough on the iron. Be sure it is one your wife
doesn't want. It also does not work in the gap like a real carpet
iron. You need to iron the back.

How hot would a housewife iron get? Likely would be a messy job.
IIRC, a carpet iron reaches ~ 1500ºF. A much cleaner method.

I had an old iron in my shop, I turned it up as high as it would go
and let it sit for a while to let it cook, be sure you move it around
every once in a while because some will time out. I laid down the
carpet I wanted to seam face down, put the tape on it and ironed it
in. It worked OK.
I still had a few smaller pieces and I made a rug for my golf cart
with one seam and it has been beat to death without coming apart.
Bear in mind, carpet has a grain so when you seam it, be sure you line
it up right.

Yep. You can tell which the pile lays by rubbing it. Lays down or
stands up. Match it up. Some have a pattern to match, too. When
cutting and using tape, a good metal straight edge and a sharp carpet
knife for a clean cut and match.

Aside, did you see the video when a Yankee saw a panther in Corkscrew
this week

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/04/160401-florida-panther-video-corkscrew-sanctuary/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Will it work. Do you need to put wet towel done while doing it

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to blueman, Msmith wrote:
Do i use a wet towel.while using. The iron

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...et-381596-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Be sure it is one your wife doesn't want lol The OP maybe a guy and probably straight and married but perhaps he does the ironing!

I looked this up on the internet, and hunker.com suggests using an old wet towel between a hot (ie 800w) iron and the tape. You have to have the carpet upside-down though- it's hard to beat a seaming iron in terms of staying in situ on the floor I think (and therefore monitor what you are doing to some degree) For this reason I'll probably splash out on the real thing for my particular job, then resell it.

But maybe for a smaller job with an 'unfussy' carpet, a cheap iron could be the way to go. Just check it goes up to 800w or so,

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-381596-.htm

Searching for "old heavy iron" vertical mill trg-s338 Metalworking 7 May 5th 09 02:35 PM
"Blanking" technique for iron soil pipe socket Vortex UK diy 1 September 14th 07 07:57 PM
So "The iron lady" netprospect UK diy 0 July 18th 07 02:57 PM
"seasoning" cast iron frill grates Ubin Home Repair 13 August 1st 06 02:22 PM
Crystal Clean "Iron Filter In A Bottle" [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 25th 06 04:23 PM