Posted to rec.woodworking

Default buying used table saw

I'm considering buying a used cabinet TS off Craig's List or whatever.

Aside from the obvious:
Overall condition, fit and finish
Table flatness and condition
Cranks, pulleys, &tc., smooth tilt and blade adjustment
motor and wiring
arbor run-out
bearings

What else should I look for?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/16/2012 4:54 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
I'm considering buying a used cabinet TS off Craig's List or whatever.

Aside from the obvious:
Overall condition, fit and finish
Table flatness and condition
Cranks, pulleys,&tc., smooth tilt and blade adjustment
motor and wiring
arbor run-out
bearings

What else should I look for?

Well, I'd start w/ make/model/electrics...

Posted to rec.woodworking

When you go to inspect it, bring some boards and do some specific cuts and such. Not only see how it works, but feel how it works.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:
I'm considering buying a used cabinet TS off Craig's List or whatever.

Aside from the obvious:
Overall condition, fit and finish
Table flatness and condition
Cranks, pulleys,&tc., smooth tilt and blade adjustment
motor and wiring
arbor run-out
bearings

What else should I look for?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Price

--
G.W. Ross

If we can build a space shuttle, why
can't we build a decent mattress handle?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 14:54:30 -0700, Zz Yzx wrote:

I'm considering buying a used cabinet TS off Craig's List or whatever.

Aside from the obvious:
Overall condition, fit and finish
Table flatness and condition
Cranks, pulleys, &tc., smooth tilt and blade adjustment motor and
wiring
arbor run-out
bearings

What else should I look for?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Broken trunnion

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:
I'm considering buying a used cabinet TS off Craig's List or whatever.

Aside from the obvious:
Overall condition, fit and finish
Table flatness and condition
Cranks, pulleys, &tc., smooth tilt and blade adjustment
motor and wiring
arbor run-out
bearings

What else should I look for?

Horse power

220v capability

Availability of parts

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:59:40 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
When you go to inspect it, bring some boards and do some specific cuts and such. Not only see how it works, but feel how it works.

I'd also take a square with you, preferable a small one ~ 4" maybe. Do
a visual check of the trunnion and then 90° squareness of the blade
with it almost down and then all the way up to see if it changes.
That's often a good indication of trunnion problems too.

Question: How much is being asked for the saw and how much are you
willing to spend. There's successive degrees of table saw categories
dependent on what you're willing to spend.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:54:14 PM UTC-5, Zz Yzx wrote:
I'm considering buying a used cabinet TS off Craig's List or whatever.

Aside from the obvious:

Overall condition, fit and finish

Table flatness and condition

Cranks, pulleys, &tc., smooth tilt and blade adjustment

motor and wiring

arbor run-out

bearings

What else should I look for?

Thanks a heap,

-Zz

I'd start with thinking about what saw I'd want if I were buying new, then look for that model in the pre-owned market. In addition to CL, you might want to watch IRS auctions in the event there is one close to you. They seem to specialize in surplus woodworking equipment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:54:14 PM UTC-5, Zz Yzx wrote:
I'm considering buying a used cabinet TS off Craig's List or whatever.

You say "or whatever", but if you are looking for a cabinet saw (~500
pounds), and don't have a truck with a lift gate, LOCATION counts for a
lot.

An important feature I didn't see in your list is a "quality fence".
Good luck (I'm still in search of a TS myself)! Grizzly G690 is on my
list, but i wouldn't mind seeing a Delta UnisawStop (my term) show up in
the marketplace.

Bill

Aside from the obvious:

Overall condition, fit and finish

Table flatness and condition

Cranks, pulleys, &tc., smooth tilt and blade adjustment

motor and wiring

arbor run-out

bearings

What else should I look for?

Thanks a heap,

-Zz

I'd start with thinking about what saw I'd want if I were buying new, then look for that model in the pre-owned market. In addition to CL, you might want to watch IRS auctions in the event there is one close to you. They seem to specialize in surplus woodworking equipment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:41:02 -0400, Bill wrote:

Gramp's shop wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure it was Swingman but he had the best idea I've seen if
you have no alternatives. He hired a flatbed tow truck it went very
well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:54:13 -0700, Mike M
wrote:

[...]

I assume you know how to negotiate and let them use standby time to
reduce the cost.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:

I assume you know how to negotiate and let them use standby time to
reduce the cost.

Mike M

How does that work ("standby time")?

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:42:40 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Gramp's shop wrote:

[...]

Bill might have pointed out one of the more important features in a table saw - fence. Even if you find a good table or cabinet saw with a less-than-great fence; if price is right you can retrofit a fence. A lot of folks will aim you at the Biesemeyer which is a good fence. But Bill's reference to Grizzly reminded me that Grizzly offers their Shop Fox Classic fence as a separate package, with short or long rails. I have owned a Grizzly 1023S for about 11 years and it is equipped with the Classic fence - love it. Our son has a Grizzly contractor's style saw with the aluminum Classic. I have used his machine quite a bit and it is functionally very similar.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 20:02:38 -0400, Bill wrote:

Mike M wrote:

I assume you know how to negotiate and let them use standby time to
reduce the cost.

Mike M

How does that work ("standby time")?

Bill

They have truck's ready to respond to emergencies. You get them to do
your job as filler work to help cover overhead. Don't expect them to
commit to hours of work without adequate compensation. Also you might
approach a few drivers and see if they are open to under the table
jobs.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:41:02 -0400, Bill wrote:
list, but i wouldn't mind seeing a Delta UnisawStop (my term) show up in
the marketplace.

You're going to be waiting some 20 or so more years for that patent to
expire.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 8:11 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:41:02 -0400, Bill wrote:
list, but i wouldn't mind seeing a Delta UnisawStop (my term) show up in
the marketplace.

You're going to be waiting some 20 or so more years for that patent to
expire.

And I think I would rather have the SawStop brand over the "Delta of
today" version.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 9:11 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:41:02 -0400, Bill wrote:
list, but i wouldn't mind seeing a Delta UnisawStop (my term) show up in
the marketplace.

You're going to be waiting some 20 or so more years for that patent to
expire.

Surely there are other options. I believe $omething could be worked out
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:16:56 -0400, Bill
Surely there are other options. I believe $omething could be worked out

Loooong past that point after Gass visited the other table saw
companies trying to get them to license his invention.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 12:19 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:16:56 -0400, Bill
Surely there are other options. I believe $omething could be worked out

Loooong past that point after Gass visited the other table saw
companies trying to get them to license his invention.

Borrowing perhaps from Yogi Berra, "The game's not over until it's
over..." : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 10/18/2012 8:11 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:41:02 -0400, Bill wrote:
list, but i wouldn't mind seeing a Delta UnisawStop (my term) show up in
the marketplace.

You're going to be waiting some 20 or so more years for that patent to
expire.

And I think I would rather have the SawStop brand over the "Delta of
today" version.

Maybe so. Sawstop has 2 tiers of quality just in their cabinet saws. The
higher level one, at least, has several HP choices (3,5 and 7.5, IIRC).
I'm going to visit Woodcraft this weekend for their 10 and 15% off sale.
Maybe I'll get an estimate on a package while I'm there. As you
probably are well-aware, alot of parts on a SawStop are priced
separately: the blade guard, and fence for instance.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2012 7:27 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 10/18/2012 8:11 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:41:02 -0400, Bill wrote:
list, but i wouldn't mind seeing a Delta UnisawStop (my term) show
up in
the marketplace.

You're going to be waiting some 20 or so more years for that patent to
expire.

And I think I would rather have the SawStop brand over the "Delta of
today" version.

Maybe so. Sawstop has 2 tiers of quality just in their cabinet saws. The
higher level one, at least, has several HP choices (3,5 and 7.5, IIRC).
I'm going to visit Woodcraft this weekend for their 10 and 15% off sale.
Maybe I'll get an estimate on a package while I'm there. As you
probably are well-aware, alot of parts on a SawStop are priced
separately: the blade guard, and fence for instance.

Bill

Yes I was a aware about the fence and rip width capacity. Nice to have
a choice rather than have to pay for the basic fence that often needs to
be upgraded. No if only you did not have to buy the standard miter
gauge too. And the Osbourn that Delta is offering is just that, a
standard miter gauge.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 10/18/2012 8:11 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:41:02 -0400, Bill wrote:
list, but i wouldn't mind seeing a Delta UnisawStop (my term) show
up in
the marketplace.

You're going to be waiting some 20 or so more years for that patent to
expire.

And I think I would rather have the SawStop brand over the "Delta of
today" version.

Maybe so. Sawstop has 2 tiers of quality just in their cabinet saws. The
higher level one, at least, has several HP choices (3,5 and 7.5, IIRC).
I'm going to visit Woodcraft this weekend for their 10 and 15% off sale.
Maybe I'll get an estimate on a package while I'm there. As you
probably are well-aware, alot of parts on a SawStop are priced
separately: the blade guard, and fence for instance.

Bill

I made my visit and bought my sharpening slips. I found out that the
weekend 10% special on powertools doesn't apply to SawStop or Festool.
Professional (not "Industrial") Sawstop with 36" table and 3 HP motor
with fence and basic blade cover is $2899 + $200 for mobile base + $250
for shipping + tax.
Let's see, that comes to $3349 + 7% = $3583.43, but to be fair (in
making comparisons), that includes the mobile base.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/20/2012 12:04 AM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

To make it easier to compare, add to the price of the Unisaw to
compensate for not having a blade stop feature.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Good point. That would be about $800 for the blade stop feature, or
about 33% more. It wouldn't surprise me if Steve Gass used $1000 as a
fulcrum (my term here, for deciding what consumers would/would not pay).

If anyone else is keeping score, the SS does not include a cast iron
"side table" (short extension table?) as standard on the 36" saw. "side
table" may not be the right word.

Woodcraft emphasized that they could not change their pricing (due to
their agreement with SawStop), but I expect that their $250 shipping fee
might be negotiable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

FWIW few if any "new" 10" cabinet saws have cast iron right side
extension tables for the 50"+ rip capacity.

Woodcraft emphasized that they could not change their pricing (due to
their agreement with SawStop), but I expect that their $250 shipping fee
might be negotiable.

This seems to contradict what they are telling you. Amazon/sold by
Woodcraft shows a mark down from $2719 to $2469.

http://www.amazon.com/SawStop-PCS175...op+cabinet+saw

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

I know that. But the SS has a short extension table made of something
much lighter than cast iron before the extension table. The Professional
edition is available in 30" and 36" (and 52"). It's probably just that
6" of the table between 30" and 36". It was pointed out to me that it is
available in cast iron.

Woodcraft emphasized that they could not change their pricing (due to
their agreement with SawStop), but I expect that their $250 shipping fee
might be negotiable.

This seems to contradict what they are telling you. Amazon/sold by
Woodcraft shows a mark down from $2719 to $2469.

http://www.amazon.com/SawStop-PCS175...op+cabinet+saw

That is a 1 3/4 HP version. This one looks closer:

http://www.amazon.com/SawStop-PCS312...w+stop+36-inch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

FWIW few if any "new" 10" cabinet saws have cast iron right side
extension tables for the 50"+ rip capacity.

Maybe the idea of having a short cast iron extension table is to mount a
router on it? Do you suppose they come pre-cut/drilled?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 17:36:25 -0400, Bill wrote:

Leon wrote:

FWIW few if any "new" 10" cabinet saws have cast iron right side
extension tables for the 50"+ rip capacity.

Maybe the idea of having a short cast iron extension table is to mount a
router on it? Do you suppose they come pre-cut/drilled?

I think a router table is a short table wouldn't be what I wanted but
to each their own. Keep in mind Bill if you go over budget and it
hurts a little it's much better then not getting what ;you need and
having to do it again.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
[...]

Have a good friend - he is younger and a big fella, who puts his Unisaw
in the back of his pickup and takes and sets it up on site for finish
work alone. Yes, they're heavy, but do tip upside down without ever
requiring picking up the whole thing. They are much more stable upside
down - no longer top heavy. He does have a short Biesmeyer on it.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 17:36:25 -0400, Bill wrote:
Maybe the idea of having a short cast iron extension table is to mount a
router on it? Do you suppose they come pre-cut/drilled?

Not cast iron ones, at least not that I've ever seen or heard of.
However, I have drilled/jig sawed out a heavy cast iron table saw
extension before for use with a router. Along with using a heavy
flexible cut off wheel in a drill to grind away part of the extension
ribs underneath, the whole process took a little over an hour. Not
difficult, just a little tedious.

Is an hour of your time and $1 for a cutoff sanding wheel worth your
effort if you have a cast iron table saw extension?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 17:36:25 -0400, Bill wrote:
Maybe the idea of having a short cast iron extension table is to mount a
router on it? Do you suppose they come pre-cut/drilled?

Not cast iron ones, at least not that I've ever seen or heard of.
However, I have drilled/jig sawed out a heavy cast iron table saw
extension before for use with a router. Along with using a heavy
flexible cut off wheel in a drill to grind away part of the extension
ribs underneath, the whole process took a little over an hour. Not
difficult, just a little tedious.

Is an hour of your time and $1 for a cutoff sanding wheel worth your
effort if you have a cast iron table saw extension?

Thanks for the lesson!
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21598
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-Extension-Table-for-Table-Saw/H7507

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 17:36:25 -0400, Bill wrote:
Maybe the idea of having a short cast iron extension table is to mount a
router on it? Do you suppose they come pre-cut/drilled?

Not cast iron ones, at least not that I've ever seen or heard of.
However, I have drilled/jig sawed out a heavy cast iron table saw
extension before for use with a router. Along with using a heavy
flexible cut off wheel in a drill to grind away part of the extension
ribs underneath, the whole process took a little over an hour. Not
difficult, just a little tedious.

Is an hour of your time and $1 for a cutoff sanding wheel worth your
effort if you have a cast iron table saw extension?

Thanks for the lesson!

MLCS sells cast irom tablesaw wings with router cutout.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...er_table4.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

FWIW few if any "new" 10" cabinet saws have cast iron right side
extension tables for the 50"+ rip capacity.

Maybe the idea of having a short cast iron extension table is to mount a
router on it? Do you suppose they come pre-cut/drilled?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21598
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-Extension-Table-for-Table-Saw/H7507

For 350 clams, I can stand, nay, _prefer_, melamine-coated termite
barf.

Or for an entire prefab table, try this at half the price:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Rout...h-Stand/T10432
Mod it to fit your TS if necessary, but a separate table is nice if
you want to leave the fences intact each time. The TS fence is less
useful, anyway, since it isn't 2-piece.

--
EAT RIGHT, KEEP FIT, DIE ANYWAY.
--anon

Aw, Hell. Gimme CHOCOLATE!
--LJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

For 350 clams, I can stand, nay, _prefer_, melamine-coated termite
barf.

I second Larry's thought. I built my own using MDF - which I would not do
again in the future. It has served well with absolutely no problems, I just
hate the stuff. If I were to build another one it would be with melamine.
Mine is at least 15 years old and has served very well. For most uses, I
just use the table saw fence, slid over to the extension. I have the insert
from Rockler and all I had to do was cut the MDF to size, band it with
hardwood so that it could be securely mounted to the saw, and route out for
the insert. The router just hangs underneath it all of the time. Even with
the weight of the router on it all the time, it has never sagged or
distorted in any way. Total cost for the MDF, the hardwood and the insert
was under $100.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Regardless, Woodcraft through Amazon is reducing their price, contrary
to what the guy at Woodcraft told you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:54:14 PM UTC-4, Zz Yzx wrote:
I'm considering buying a used cabinet TS off Craig's List or whatever.

Aside from the obvious:

What else should I look for?

Fence and guards to be complete and adequate.
I've never seen a table saw top too unflat to be useful
(but cast iron with a crack, I HAVE seen). And don't check
for alignment, you will have to set up and realign completely
regardless, after moving the machine into your work area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 23:12:00 -0400, Dave wrote:

Maybe the idea of having a short cast iron extension table is to mount a
router on it? Do you suppose they come pre-cut/drilled?

Not cast iron ones, at least not that I've ever seen or heard of.

While I haven't seen a cast iron extension set up for a router as
original equipment (except on the 3K Powermatic), they're certainly
available aftermarket. For example:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...arthtml/pages/
router_table4.html

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 10/20/2012 4:32 PM, Bill wrote:

That is a 1 3/4 HP version. This one looks closer:

http://www.amazon.com/SawStop-PCS312...w+stop+36-inch

Regardless, Woodcraft through Amazon is reducing their price, contrary
to what the guy at Woodcraft told you.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. The last time I checked (a long
time ago), SawStopo saws were not listed on Amazon.

Bill