Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default buying used table saw

Leon wrote:
On 10/20/2012 3:26 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 10/20/2012 12:04 AM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 10/18/2012 8:11 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:41:02 -0400, Bill wrote:
list, but i wouldn't mind seeing a Delta UnisawStop (my term) show
up in
the marketplace.

You're going to be waiting some 20 or so more years for that
patent to
expire.

And I think I would rather have the SawStop brand over the "Delta of
today" version.

Maybe so. Sawstop has 2 tiers of quality just in their cabinet saws.
The
higher level one, at least, has several HP choices (3,5 and 7.5,
IIRC).
I'm going to visit Woodcraft this weekend for their 10 and 15% off
sale.
Maybe I'll get an estimate on a package while I'm there. As you
probably are well-aware, alot of parts on a SawStop are priced
separately: the blade guard, and fence for instance.

Bill

I made my visit and bought my sharpening slips. I found out that the
weekend 10% special on powertools doesn't apply to SawStop or Festool.
Professional (not "Industrial") Sawstop with 36" table and 3 HP motor
with fence and basic blade cover is $2899 + $200 for mobile base + $250
for shipping + tax.
Let's see, that comes to $3349 + 7% = $3583.43, but to be fair (in
making comparisons), that includes the mobile base.

To make it easier to compare, add to the price of the Unisaw to
compensate for not having a blade stop feature.

Good point. That would be about $800 for the blade stop feature, or
about 33% more. It wouldn't surprise me if Steve Gass used $1000 as a
fulcrum (my term here, for deciding what consumers would/would not pay).

If anyone else is keeping score, the SS does not include a cast iron
"side table" (short extension table?) as standard on the 36" saw. "side
table" may not be the right word.

FWIW few if any "new" 10" cabinet saws have cast iron right side
extension tables for the 50"+ rip capacity.

I know that. But the SS has a short extension table made of something
much lighter than cast iron before the extension table. The Professional
edition is available in 30" and 36" (and 52"). It's probably just that
6" of the table between 30" and 36". It was pointed out to me that it is
available in cast iron.

Woodcraft emphasized that they could not change their pricing (due to
their agreement with SawStop), but I expect that their $250 shipping fee
might be negotiable.

This seems to contradict what they are telling you. Amazon/sold by
Woodcraft shows a mark down from $2719 to $2469.

http://www.amazon.com/SawStop-PCS175...op+cabinet+saw

That is a 1 3/4 HP version. This one looks closer:

http://www.amazon.com/SawStop-PCS312...w+stop+36-inch