Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default HF dust collector switch problem

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Jeeze, I haven't had any innoculations in at least 30 years, I don't
think. I had the full set(s) as a kid, but none since my teen years
that I can remember.

I got a flu shot once and got a bad case of the flu from it, so I
don't do that any more. sigh

You're not supposed to take the flu shot if you have even a little cold.
Larry, I think you want to talk to your doctor about booster shots. Since
I am retired, I can afford to be sick for more than 2 months with whooping
cough, though I'd rather not. As a selfemployed person, you may not like
to be less than 50% (or even less) for such a length of time. If you start
panting after climbing 1 set of stairs ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Just a wild guess, but could you have installed the relay way back
when _because_ the on/off switch felt funny? I've done things like
that before, then forgotten why.

At the moment, and since installing, the DC is in a far corner, out of the
way. The remote is more convenience so I don't have to walk around
everything, than the switch feeling funny. I am reorganizing the shop. I
may follow the suggestion from someone else here (I forgot whom, sorry!),
and put the dang thing more central to reduce piping length.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

On 27 Aug 2012 03:44:21 GMT, Han wrote:

Ribbit wrote in
:

No I don't think those things could affect the on/off switch of the
DC. You could bypass the switch entirely and use the remote control
to turn it on off?

Thanks, Ribbit. It's done like you said, Took the switch out and
wirenutted the wires. All is functioning at $0.00. I used the nuts I
had grin.

Didn't that hurt?

Not really, they were leftovers from a bygone era ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote in
news
On 26 Aug 2012 18:11:52 GMT, Han wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:zq-
:

But to be on the safe side, take a picture of "yourself" before
making changes, another picture of yourself after making changes,
post on line for us to valuate. You may not be using good
judgement after the modification!. :~O

Too late for that. I have the pictures of what I did, though they
are of terrible quality. With regard to myself, I am finally,
finally getting noticeably better from my whooping cough. Still
need cough medicine every 4 hrs, almost 4 weeks after antibiotics.

Wow, bummer. It may be an indication of the extent of damage the
coughing has caused to your lungs. REST, Han!

(From
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002528/ )

"Cough mixtures, expectorants, and suppressants are usually not
helpful and should NOT be used."

Well, at the advice of my doctor, I do use cough medicine -
expectorent/cough suppressant guanefesin/dextromethorphan, as well as
menthol cough drops. They help because my lungs are/were full of
slime that made me get "paroxysmal" coughing fits. The expectorant
especially helps get the stuff loose. But I'm going to see a
pulmonologist next week to get a better opinion.

When I lived in Mexico, just about everybody wound up with a cold and a
cough in the winter. All the farmacias had a cough tablet that really
stopped coughing. Fast. Graneodin (gra-nay-o-DEEN) was the name, they
contained benzocine. I have no idea if they are legal in the US but if you
have any latin population you might check at a farmacia latina.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Aug 2012 11:47:19 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

On 27 Aug 2012 03:44:21 GMT, Han wrote:

Ribbit wrote in
:

No I don't think those things could affect the on/off switch of the
DC. You could bypass the switch entirely and use the remote control
to turn it on off?

Thanks, Ribbit. It's done like you said, Took the switch out and
wirenutted the wires. All is functioning at $0.00. I used the nuts I
had grin.

Didn't that hurt?

Not really, they were leftovers from a bygone era ...

I really didn't want to get into your personal life, Han.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Aug 2012 11:43:48 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Jeeze, I haven't had any innoculations in at least 30 years, I don't
think. I had the full set(s) as a kid, but none since my teen years
that I can remember.

I got a flu shot once and got a bad case of the flu from it, so I
don't do that any more. sigh

You're not supposed to take the flu shot if you have even a little cold.

I wasn't sick -before- the bloody shot.

Larry, I think you want to talk to your doctor about booster shots. Since
I am retired, I can afford to be sick for more than 2 months with whooping
cough, though I'd rather not. As a selfemployed person, you may not like
to be less than 50% (or even less) for such a length of time. If you start
panting after climbing 1 set of stairs ...

Yeah, I hear that. But the idiots in charge are using lots of
live-virus shots nowadays and the side effects are tremendously
numerous. I think it's a crap shoot either way. sigh
Sites like this http://www.relfe.com/vaccine.html give me pause.
Do some research on the polio vaccine and see if you can tell me that
you believe in it 100% afterward.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Aug 2012 11:47:19 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

On 27 Aug 2012 03:44:21 GMT, Han wrote:

Ribbit wrote in
:

No I don't think those things could affect the on/off switch of the
DC. You could bypass the switch entirely and use the remote control
to turn it on off?

Thanks, Ribbit. It's done like you said, Took the switch out and
wirenutted the wires. All is functioning at $0.00. I used the nuts I
had grin.

Didn't that hurt?

Not really, they were leftovers from a bygone era ...

That's the saddest thing I've heard around here for a loooooong time.
R.I.P. Hannuts.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/27/2012 9:16 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Do some research on the polio vaccine and see if you can tell me that
you believe in it 100% afterward.

Whatever the site says or the research shows vaccination's a heckuva a
lot better than not...I'm old enough I recall at least three grade
school friends who weren't so lucky as to have gotten it (the Salk
vaccine) in time and a young lady in an iron lung who got there at age
17 for the rest of her life...

There wouldn't be the recent outbreak of whooping cough if it weren't
for the yuppies who aren't old enough to remember what things were like
before widespread vaccination.

If it were only their kids they put at risk I'd say it's good Darwinism
but it's the rest of the population as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
news
On 27 Aug 2012 11:43:48 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
m:

[...]

Everything has side effects. Diphteria, Tetanus and Pertussis are
bacteria, so there is no talk about live virus. Virus =/= bacterium. I
believe that D and T are derived from the capsule/cell wall, but the
pertussis is "acellular" (the "a" in Tdap). I asked whether anyone had
experience with the shot of this triple combo on FB, and 1 lady answered.
She felt flu-like for less than a day (got the shot in the morning, took
off from work by noon, was better the next day). No one else reported
anything (to me).

The current upswing in especially socalled childhood diseases such as
whooping cough, measles, mumps and rubella is a direct result of people
refusing to have their children vaccinated. For an epidemic to occur,
there has to be a population of susceptible patients. 1 person
susceptible does not give rise to an epidemic, "just" someone who gets
sick. But when 10% of people (don't know the required minimum, maybe
just 2 or 5%) are susceptible, it only takes one arrival with the disease
to make an epidemic. Larry, you living by yourself on a far away
mountain are safe. Me living near a crowded area, not so much. Not that
far away from here are communities who think (perhaps like you) that
vaccination is abhorrent. So we regularly have outbreaks of preventable
diseases. It's inexcusable, and I feel horrible to have exposed people
whom I love to the risk. My son got antibiotics and it made his gout
flare up. Hopefully it weighs against getting sick for 2 or 3 months.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in :

When I lived in Mexico, just about everybody wound up with a cold and
a cough in the winter. All the farmacias had a cough tablet that
really stopped coughing. Fast. Graneodin (gra-nay-o-DEEN) was the
name, they contained benzocine. I have no idea if they are legal in
the US but if you have any latin population you might check at a
farmacia latina.

found this: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/334996.html
Somewhere in there it says "active ingredient - Benzocaine", so I think
you only missed an "a" grin.

That is an anesthetic, so the throat doesn't hurt anymore. I don't think
it treats the cause (sometimes that doesn't matter, as when you have a
virus, because you have to kill that by your immune mechanisms - there
are few really effective antiviral medications). In my case,it is the
mucus that the pertussis (bacterial) infection has caused. For some
reason the mucus generation persists long after you or your antibiotics
have killed the pertussis.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 27 Aug 2012 11:47:19 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On 27 Aug 2012 03:44:21 GMT, Han wrote:

Ribbit wrote in
:

No I don't think those things could affect the on/off switch of
the DC. You could bypass the switch entirely and use the remote
control to turn it on off?

Thanks, Ribbit. It's done like you said, Took the switch out and
wirenutted the wires. All is functioning at $0.00. I used the nuts
I had grin.

Didn't that hurt?

Not really, they were leftovers from a bygone era ...

That's the saddest thing I've heard around here for a loooooong time.
R.I.P. Hannuts.

No reason for RIP, they are doing the job those wire nuts were designed
for, they were just leftovers from some project long ago.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

dpb wrote in :

On 8/27/2012 9:16 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Do some research on the polio vaccine and see if you can tell me that
you believe in it 100% afterward.

Whatever the site says or the research shows vaccination's a heckuva a
lot better than not...I'm old enough I recall at least three grade
school friends who weren't so lucky as to have gotten it (the Salk
vaccine) in time and a young lady in an iron lung who got there at age
17 for the rest of her life...

There wouldn't be the recent outbreak of whooping cough if it weren't
for the yuppies who aren't old enough to remember what things were like
before widespread vaccination.

If it were only their kids they put at risk I'd say it's good Darwinism
but it's the rest of the population as well.

What ****es me off is that I didn't know that whooping cough and
diphteria are on the same list as tetanus and you have to get a booster
every 10 years. The tetanus I've gotten regularly, but apparently not
all tetanus shots have D and P in them, or the shot I got almost exactly
10 years ago has stopped given me protection.

Guys, get your Tdap ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in
:

When I lived in Mexico, just about everybody wound up with a cold and
a cough in the winter. All the farmacias had a cough tablet that
really stopped coughing. Fast. Graneodin (gra-nay-o-DEEN) was the
name, they contained benzocine. I have no idea if they are legal in
the US but if you have any latin population you might check at a
farmacia latina.

found this:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/334996.html
Somewhere in there it says "active ingredient - Benzocaine", so I
think you only missed an "a" grin.

Yeah, the damned keys keep moving and/or disappearing

That is an anesthetic, so the throat doesn't hurt anymore. I don't
think it treats the cause (sometimes that doesn't matter, as when you
have a virus, because you have to kill that by your immune mechanisms
- there are few really effective antiviral medications). In my
case,it is the mucus that the pertussis (bacterial) infection has
caused. For some reason the mucus generation persists long after you
or your antibiotics have killed the pertussis.

Right, they don't cure, just remove an effect (hurting) and symptom or
response (coughing). And they are very good at that. Moreover, that in
itself is useful when you are hacking so much that your throat and/or chest
feels raw and sore. I always pick up a bunch to bring home when I am in
Mexico even though I rarely get colds in the US.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote in
:

[...]

Good use but you did get the implication (and difference) between your
original "nuts" and "wire nuts". right? OTOH, maybe you *did* and they
really *are* sob leftovers from a bygone era. It does happen...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Right, they don't cure, just remove an effect (hurting) and symptom or
response (coughing). And they are very good at that. Moreover, that
in itself is useful when you are hacking so much that your throat
and/or chest feels raw and sore. I always pick up a bunch to bring
home when I am in Mexico even though I rarely get colds in the US.

The first few years in the US were pretty good. Then whatever makes me
allergic caught up with me (hayfever type stuff). Here in Fair Lawn, I am
lucky. I found out that the Swiss Pork Store also has "katjesdrop", a kind
of Dutch/German licorice, which is very soothing and liquefying. A 3 min
bicycle ride away.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Han wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote in
:

[...]

When I notice a possibility for a pun, I try to grab the chance. Is that
a pun too? I could go on, but this is enough, I think.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in
:

Right, they don't cure, just remove an effect (hurting) and symptom
or response (coughing). And they are very good at that. Moreover,
that in itself is useful when you are hacking so much that your
throat and/or chest feels raw and sore. I always pick up a bunch to
bring home when I am in Mexico even though I rarely get colds in the
US.

The first few years in the US were pretty good. Then whatever makes
me allergic caught up with me (hayfever type stuff). Here in Fair
Lawn, I am lucky. I found out that the Swiss Pork Store also has
"katjesdrop", a kind of Dutch/German licorice, which is very soothing
and liquefying. A 3 min bicycle ride away.

I had hay fever badly when I was young & in Indiana (40s & 50s). I solved
it by moving to Hawaii Later, to Mexico and finally, Florida. Never
had a problem in any of them.

When I did have it, the best thing I found was Parke Davis cough tablets.
They too were flavored with anise and had - IIRC - chloroform in them. Not
sure how they got around the volatility of it and it has been banned for
decades but it worked well. Graneodin is better though.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Aug 2012 15:10:49 GMT, Han wrote:

dpb wrote in :

[...]

Or not?

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...is-td-tdap.pdf
#4 in that list is as follows:
"4 Some people should not be vaccinated or should wait

Anyone who has had a life-threatening allergic reaction after a dose
of any tetanus, diphtheria, or pertussis containing vaccine should not
get Td or Tdap.

Anyone who has a severe allergy to any component of a vaccine should
not get that vaccine. Tell your doctor if the person getting the
vaccine has any severe allergies.

Anyone who had a coma, or long or multiple seizures within 7 days
after a dose of DTP or DTaP should not get Tdap, unless a cause other
than the vaccine was found. These people may get Td."

(Wow, such mellow potential risks...)

and

http://www.cdc.gov/MMWr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5203a1.htm

43 cases per annum in USA (300M population), 96% decrease since 1947.

8 of 50 patients who had received 3+ vaccinations and had had one
within ten years still got it by being stupid.

and

http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/outbreaks.html
Why is pertussis so prevalent despite vaccinations? ~28k per annum
here in USA!

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Aug 2012 17:10:46 GMT, Han wrote:

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Right, they don't cure, just remove an effect (hurting) and symptom or
response (coughing). And they are very good at that. Moreover, that
in itself is useful when you are hacking so much that your throat
and/or chest feels raw and sore. I always pick up a bunch to bring
home when I am in Mexico even though I rarely get colds in the US.

The first few years in the US were pretty good. Then whatever makes me
allergic caught up with me (hayfever type stuff). Here in Fair Lawn, I am
lucky. I found out that the Swiss Pork Store also has "katjesdrop", a kind
of Dutch/German licorice, which is very soothing and liquefying. A 3 min
bicycle ride away.

A 3 min ride -when- you can breathe? 25 minutes now?

And speaking of Swiss comfort, have you tried Ricola cough drops? I
like 'em, but I don't have pertussis. http://www.ricola.com/en-us

#4 in that list is as follows:
[...]

Seems to me the usual caveats, and a very good record. Of course I don't
go swimming wearing my lead underwear and lead shoes.
--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

A 3 min ride -when- you can breathe? 25 minutes now?

And speaking of Swiss comfort, have you tried Ricola cough drops? I
like 'em, but I don't have pertussis. http://www.ricola.com/en-us

It's much easier to sit and gently move your legs on a bicycl than to walk
the same distance. Cooler too. Ricola is OK, but too expensive. Halls is
fine for me.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Aug 2012 23:05:02 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

A 3 min ride -when- you can breathe? 25 minutes now?

And speaking of Swiss comfort, have you tried Ricola cough drops? I
like 'em, but I don't have pertussis. http://www.ricola.com/en-us

It's much easier to sit and gently move your legs on a bicycl than to walk
the same distance. Cooler too. Ricola is OK, but too expensive. Halls is
fine for me.

I go with the generics from the local stores. Halls is too expensive.
Ricola goes on sale occasionally, so that's when I buy it. Herbal
stuff is always more expensive.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

I go with the generics from the local stores. Halls is too expensive.
Ricola goes on sale occasionally, so that's when I buy it. Herbal
stuff is always more expensive.

Used to buy the CVS equivalent. Don't like it. Back to Halls. I've alos
just bought some menthol crystals (web, ~$12 for a lifetime supply, 8 oz).
Put a pinch in a wide container of near boiling water and sniff the vapors.
Instant congestion relief. Menthol (vapors) are the ctive substance in
Halls and in Vicks Vaporub, but the steam enhances the relief.

--
Best regards
Han