d2

Default Automatic switch for dust collector

Dear all,

I sent a message few days ago in order to find informations on
'automatic switch for a dust collector system'. I would like to thanks
all the woodworker who gave me helpful informations.
The point is that i'm looking for a shematic of such a switch in order
to build my own one. As i'm working in the electronic industry, i'll
be able to find the components for it if someone can send me a
schematic.
If anyone can help, i would be very pleased.
(Perhaps i should try on an another group, an electronic one but i'm
sure that some of you are very good woodworkers AND electronician ...)

Thanks by advance.

Didier
Steven and Gail Peterson

I built my router table with a switched outlet in parallel with the outlet
for the router. When the switch is turned on, both outlets go live and the
router turns on. A shop vac, plugged into the other outlet and left "on"
comes on when the outlet goes live. You should be able to figure it out, I
don't have a schematic.

Steve

"d2" wrote in message
m...
Dear all,

I sent a message few days ago in order to find informations on
'automatic switch for a dust collector system'. I would like to thanks
all the woodworker who gave me helpful informations.
The point is that i'm looking for a shematic of such a switch in order
to build my own one. As i'm working in the electronic industry, i'll
be able to find the components for it if someone can send me a
schematic.
If anyone can help, i would be very pleased.
(Perhaps i should try on an another group, an electronic one but i'm
sure that some of you are very good woodworkers AND electronician ...)

Thanks by advance.

Didier

Duane Bozarth

d2 wrote:
The point is that i'm looking for a shematic of such a switch in order
to build my own one. As i'm working in the electronic industry, i'll
be able to find the components for it if someone can send me a
schematic.

I don't have a schematic at hand but if you're in the "electronic
industry" it shouldn't be much of a challenge, I'd think..

All you need is a current-sensitive relay w/ a time-delay
Gary A in KC

I've often thought the automatic switches for a DC system (in a home shop
anyway) were a little bit of overkill. I just have my plugged into an X2
type remote control system. I keep the remote in my shop apron and can turn
it on from anywhere in the shop (as long as I have the apron on).
Works for me anyway.

Gary in KC

"d2" wrote in message
m...
Dear all,

I sent a message few days ago in order to find informations on
'automatic switch for a dust collector system'. I would like to thanks
all the woodworker who gave me helpful informations.
The point is that i'm looking for a shematic of such a switch in order
to build my own one. As i'm working in the electronic industry, i'll
be able to find the components for it if someone can send me a
schematic.
If anyone can help, i would be very pleased.
(Perhaps i should try on an another group, an electronic one but i'm
sure that some of you are very good woodworkers AND electronician ...)

Thanks by advance.

Didier

Jack

"d2" wrote in message
m...
Dear all,

I sent a message few days ago in order to find informations on
'automatic switch for a dust collector system'. I would like to thanks
all the woodworker who gave me helpful informations.
The point is that i'm looking for a shematic of such a switch in order
to build my own one. As i'm working in the electronic industry, i'll
be able to find the components for it if someone can send me a
schematic.
If anyone can help, i would be very pleased.
(Perhaps i should try on an another group, an electronic one but i'm
sure that some of you are very good woodworkers AND electronician ...)

Thanks by advance.

Didier

While waiting for SWMBO the other day in a mall, I excaped to the bookstore
and one of the current wooddorkers magazines had an article on this with
schematics, drawings and recommendations.
I don't know the mag name, I looked at a few in the century it took her to
finish her search.
Jack

SteveC1280

I bot a remote control switch for my dust collecter at Home Depot for $15.
Much easier than building one.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.
Olebiker

I bought a remote control device sold to control Christmas lights. It
cost about $12 at Lowe's last Christmas. Works like a charm. I just
clip it to my apron.

Dick Durbin

Olebiker wrote:
I bought a remote control device sold to control Christmas lights.

It
cost about $12 at Lowe's last Christmas. Works like a charm. I just
clip it to my apron.

Dick Durbin

Hey Dick,

You and Steve need to check the current rating on those low-cost
remotes. They may not be able to handle the amps required by even the
smaller dust collectors.

Overloading the cheaper device will most likely shorten it's life,
which is tolerable because it's cheap enough to replace every year or
so. But...the WORST case possibility is that it will get hot or short
out and cause a fire.

I had the same thought, but rejected it for this reason. The amp rating
of the switch I saw was very low. This also explains why switches
designed for higher powered appliances (such as the Long Ranger) cost
in the $45 - 55 range.

Tom

Patriarch

"Jack" wrote in
:

While waiting for SWMBO the other day in a mall, I excaped to the
bookstore and one of the current wooddorkers magazines had an article
on this with schematics, drawings and recommendations.
I don't know the mag name, I looked at a few in the century it took
her to finish her search.

Woodwork, either Dec 2004 or Feb 2005. Complete schematics. And an update
/revision in the 'letters' portion as well. No web presence.

Patriarch,
not building one any time soon

Fly-by-Night CC

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Woodwork, either Dec 2004 or Feb 2005. Complete schematics. And an update
/revision in the 'letters' portion as well. No web presence.

October '04 (#89). Unfortunately it's not about auto switches but for a
magnetic starter. I looked through the index of articles to Woodwork and
didn't see anything for auto switches.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Olebiker

It's 13 amps.

Patriarch

Fly-by-Night CC wrote in
news
In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Woodwork, either Dec 2004 or Feb 2005. Complete schematics. And an
update /revision in the 'letters' portion as well. No web presence.

October '04 (#89). Unfortunately it's not about auto switches but for
a magnetic starter. I looked through the index of articles to Woodwork
and didn't see anything for auto switches.

Feb '05 (#91)((latest issue). "Automating Your Dust Collector", Robert
Reed. 5 pages, including schematics and photos, on building a tool-sensing
DC power control system.

Patriarch
Steve Knight

there is a problem with such a system too. you don't want your dc turning on and
off more then a few times in a hour. baldor recommends no more then 6 times a
hour. there is a lot of heat buildup starting a motor.
I just use a remote to turn my system on and off. that way I can turn it off
when I am done not when I shut a gate.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Bob G.

On 2 Feb 2005 04:06:07 -0800, "Olebiker" wrote:

It's 13 amps.

=================================
I think the original poster was looking for a method to either turn on
his DC when he turned on his machine or to turn on the DC when he
opened up a blast gate ...NOT a method to remotely turn on just the
DC...

I have a bad habit of say using my bandsaw and leaving the blast gate
open then 10 minutes later using my tablesaw and after opening that
blast gate I have two machines opened...

I had at one time experimented with putting microswitches on each
blast gate which allowed me to turn the DC on AND off just by opening
the blast gate... There is a company who makes these BUT oh MY the
price they wanted...

I used Radio scacks micro switches and a 12 volt transformer from
an old furnace and it worked... but when i completely redid my shop I
never got around to hooking it up...

For someone in the electronics indusrty it really should not be a
problem to wire each blast gate up so that the DC comes on when any
gate is opened ...and shuts off when all the gates are closed...

I have my DC directly wired (220) and have 4 regular switches mounted
in the low ceiling in my shop...no matter where I am standing in the
shop I can reach one without taking more then 3 steps... beats the
remote that is never in my pocket when I want it...

Bob Griffiths

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
d2 wrote:
Dear all,

I sent a message few days ago in order to find informations on
'automatic switch for a dust collector system'. I would like to thanks
all the woodworker who gave me helpful informations.
The point is that i'm looking for a shematic of such a switch in order
to build my own one. As i'm working in the electronic industry, i'll
be able to find the components for it if someone can send me a
schematic.
If anyone can help, i would be very pleased.
(Perhaps i should try on an another group, an electronic one but i'm
sure that some of you are very good woodworkers AND electronician ...)

Thanks by advance.

It is a *simple* device. consists of about 3 components:
1) a current sensor. e.g. an inductive pick-up similar to those used
in 'clamp on' ammeters.
2) "something" to sense when there is sufficient current flow to indicate
that a device is running. This can be as simple as a *one*transistor*
'switch'.
3) a relay to switch the DC on. needs to have a 'sensitive' coil, and
high power ratings on the contacts. OR you can use two relays -- a
light duty one, to switch the high-power one.

The schematic is "Connect part (1) to part (2) to part (3)"

If the above is "insufficiently detailed" for you, you are better off _buying_
a pre-made assembly.

Olebiker wrote:
It's 13 amps.

Wow! That's an entirely different animal from the unit I saw. That
should be plenty for up to 2HP and maybe a little more.

I'm going to go look for one! Hopefully they'll carry them for other
purposes outside of Christmas season.

Thanks,
Tom

Fly-by-Night CC

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Feb '05 (#91)((latest issue). "Automating Your Dust Collector", Robert
Reed. 5 pages, including schematics and photos, on building a tool-sensing
DC power control system.

Oooooooooooo! Did I get that one?! Has it been out long? My MIL gives me
a multi-year gift subscription for my bday and this year there seemed to
be a slight mixup with getting the renewal correctly credited. I'm gonna
have to hunt around for it and call if I can't locate mine. Thanks.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Patriarch

Fly-by-Night CC wrote in
news
In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Feb '05 (#91)((latest issue). "Automating Your Dust Collector",
Robert Reed. 5 pages, including schematics and photos, on building a
tool-sensing DC power control system.

Oooooooooooo! Did I get that one?! Has it been out long? My MIL gives
me a multi-year gift subscription for my bday and this year there
seemed to be a slight mixup with getting the renewal correctly
credited. I'm gonna have to hunt around for it and call if I can't
locate mine. Thanks.

Apr '05, #92, came in today's mail, if that helps any...

Digging through the pile on the shelf under the display Stanley
transitional jack plane caused me to realize just what a fine magazine this
is, and how many neat projects there have been over the past three years
that are on my 'wannado' list.

Patriarch
JBC77

Fine Woodworking has an article from August 2005 issue on building an
automatic switch titled "Dust Detector". It can be purchased on-line
from the Fine Woodworking Archive:

http://www.taunton.com/store/shoppin...43066&TYPE= A

Its also included in their 2004 edition of their book Small Woodworking
Shops.

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:
In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Feb '05 (#91)((latest issue). "Automating Your Dust Collector", Robert
Reed. 5 pages, including schematics and photos, on building a tool-sensing
DC power control system.

Oooooooooooo! Did I get that one?! Has it been out long? My MIL gives me
a multi-year gift subscription for my bday and this year there seemed to
be a slight mixup with getting the renewal correctly credited. I'm gonna
have to hunt around for it and call if I can't locate mine. Thanks.

Patriarch

JBC77 wrote in
om:

Fine Woodworking has an article from August 2005 issue on building an
automatic switch titled "Dust Detector". It can be purchased on-line
from the Fine Woodworking Archive:

Gee. I haven't seen that issue yet. ;-)

Patriarch
Robert Bonomi

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:
JBC77 wrote in
. com:

Fine Woodworking has an article from August 2005 issue on building an
automatic switch titled "Dust Detector". It can be purchased on-line
from the Fine Woodworking Archive:

Gee. I haven't seen that issue yet. ;-)

Broke your TARDUS, did you? grin

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Patriarch wrote:

Apr '05, #92, came in today's mail, if that helps any...

Digging through the pile on the shelf under the display Stanley
transitional jack plane caused me to realize just what a fine magazine this
is, and how many neat projects there have been over the past three years
that are on my 'wannado' list.

After frantically hunting under the bed, both couches, and the stack of
papers-that-should-have-been-thrown-away-but-have-yet-to-make-it-to-the-r
ecycle-can-that-accumulate-by-the-phone, I finally found #91 under a
couple papers on my desk. Huh, that would have likely been the most
likely place to look but, no, I gotta crawl around looking under dust
ruffles and such...

I agree wholeheartedly about the quality and appeal of Woodwork. This
past fall I dropped my subscription to Fine Woodworking after 5 years.
In my view it's morphed into one continuous tool or finish test after
another with articles that don't go into any depth or offer variety of
the woodworking world. The worst was the article on knots (of the rope
variety, not wood) and how to tie loads securely. Woodwork always has at
least one profile article on someone in the craft plus furniture and
turning. They frequently run something on international issues and
interests and a little editorial on art, design and creativity.

When FWW sent my renewal bill I wrote them a note explaining why I
wouldn't be reupping this year and specifically mentioned my
satistaction with Woodwork as well as recommending that the editors
study the first 20 years of Fine Woodworking to see how much they've
changed their content and focus.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Fly-by-Night CC

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Woodwork, either Dec 2004 or Feb 2005. Complete schematics. And an update
/revision in the 'letters' portion as well. No web presence.

I just rec'd my issue of #92, April '05 - whew. Looks like my renewal
got straightened out as my new expiration date is Feb. '07 (boy, doesn't
that sound like a long way off). Thank you Dia (my MIL).

Thumbing through the mag I spotted a page announcing their new website:

http://www.woodwork-mag.com

It's good to see them finally having a web presence - I guess better
late than never. I'm surprised they got away with it for so long.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
d2

Thank you for all your replies.
From what i can read, the subjet is not so 'obvious'. Particularly as
we are working with the main line, it is not as easy as with low
voltage (OK, i know the principle as described previously : current
sensor, level detector, relay for switching and delay on swith off of
the router, sander ,...). So if we want a design working directly on
the main line voltage with few component, ... not so easy!
As i'm living in Europe and that it is almost impossible to receive
the WOODWORKER magazine, i would be very pleased to receive a copy
(scan on .pdf, .jpg, ...) of this particular article your are talking
about. I know it is not compliant with the copyright laws, but in my
particular situation, i think we can do an 'exeption'!
Many thanks by advance.

Didier

Duane Bozarth

d2 wrote:

Thank you for all your replies.
From what i can read, the subjet is not so 'obvious'. Particularly as
we are working with the main line, it is not as easy as with low
voltage (OK, i know the principle as described previously : current
sensor, level detector, relay for switching and delay on swith off of
the router, sander ,...). So if we want a design working directly on
the main line voltage with few component, ... not so easy!

Why? A few turns around the line carrying the controlling load (saw,
say) to a low-voltage transister to control a switching relay...what's
so hard? As simple as a 555 for delay control should suffice.