Olebiker wrote:
I bought a remote control device sold to control Christmas lights.

It
cost about $12 at Lowe's last Christmas. Works like a charm. I just
clip it to my apron.

Dick Durbin

Hey Dick,

You and Steve need to check the current rating on those low-cost
remotes. They may not be able to handle the amps required by even the
smaller dust collectors.

Overloading the cheaper device will most likely shorten it's life,
which is tolerable because it's cheap enough to replace every year or
so. But...the WORST case possibility is that it will get hot or short
out and cause a fire.

I had the same thought, but rejected it for this reason. The amp rating
of the switch I saw was very low. This also explains why switches
designed for higher powered appliances (such as the Long Ranger) cost
in the $45 - 55 range.

Tom