Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Vise Question

I am in the process of getting everything ready to build a woodworkers
bench. The current plans are for a wagon vise on the end and a leg vise.
No problem there.

Here is the question, is there any reason - except the slowness of the
opening and closure of the vise - I could not use a thread maker and use 1
1/2 6tpi wooden screw on the leg vise? I thought about a 1" 6tpi wooden
screw on the wagon vise.

There has to be a serious problem that I am not seeing and wondered if any
of you could enlighten me. The bench is going to be out of 7/4 southern red
oak and I was thinking about using the same for the screws.

Thanks

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wooden vise screws were common before the 2nd half of the 19th century.
You still see them at places like Williamsburg.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A second thought on your wood choice, might be worth researching if
red oak was typically used "back in the day." I don't know for sure,
but my guess would be that something with a tighter grain, or maybe
interlocking grain, would do better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 05 May 2012 15:40:50 -0500, Dr. Deb wrote:

I thought about a 1" 6tpi wooden
screw on the wagon vise.

There has to be a serious problem that I am not seeing and wondered if
any of you could enlighten me. The bench is going to be out of 7/4
southern red oak and I was thinking about using the same for the screws.

I've made a couple of vises with wooden screws. I used maple - I think
it holds threads a lot better than a coarse grained wood like oak.

One warning - the thread cutter I used, one like this:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...g-kit-112-x-6-
tpi.aspx

is actually metric. A nominal 1" is actually a 25mm. Doesn't sound like
much, but I had to chuck up a 1" dowel and turn it down a smidgen to make
it work.

Also, I don't think 1/2" would be strong enough - I'd go with the 1".

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry W wrote:

A second thought on your wood choice, might be worth researching if
red oak was typically used "back in the day." I don't know for sure,
but my guess would be that something with a tighter grain, or maybe
interlocking grain, would do better.

Larry, I will see what I can find. I have some soft maple, which cuts very
well. But, for obvious reasons, I would prefer hard maple. You don't
happen to have a full 2x2 of hard maple, about 42" long, in your hip pocket,
do you? :-)

Thanks

Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 5, 2012 1:40:50 PM UTC-7, Dr. Deb wrote:
I am in the process of getting everything ready to build a woodworkers
bench. ...is there any reason - except the slowness of the
opening and closure of the vise - I could not use a thread maker and use 1
1/2 6tpi wooden screw on the leg vise?

Well, sure there is. Your screw would have 1/12 " threads sticking up,
and that is a very bad short-grain situation. That can be made a little
better by using triangular threads instead of square threads, but it's
still 1/6" at the base. The triangular screw also wedges tight
when you apply any force, and wedges worse if the shaft doesn't remain
completely straight.

A steel square-thread nut/screw is superior to wood, and they're cheap.
Buy. Enjoy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 4:40*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
I am in the process of getting everything ready to build a woodworkers
bench. *The current plans are for a wagon vise on the end and a leg vise.
No problem there.

Here is the question, is there any reason - except the slowness of the
opening and closure of the vise - I could not use a thread maker and use 1
1/2 6tpi wooden screw on the leg vise? * I thought about a 1" 6tpi wooden
screw on the wagon vise.

There has to be a serious problem that I am not seeing and wondered if any
of you could enlighten me. *The bench is going to be out of 7/4 southern red
oak and I was thinking about using the same for the screws.

Thanks

Deb

You may want to consider a vise like this for your bench.
http://www.woodweb.com/galleries/sho..._tail_vise.jpg
I put a similar one on my benct and love it. The dog holes give you
plenty of clamping/holding options. I also put a hole in the tail
section and ran a second set of holes. This gives me two rows of
holes running the length of my bench.

For the hardware I just bought a screw from Grizzly.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bench-Screw/H5577

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 May 2012 05:24:56 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor
wrote:

On May 5, 4:40*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
[...]

Nice!

For the hardware I just bought a screw from Grizzly.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bench-Screw/H5577

What the hell? There's only one attachment point. How does that work?
It's missing a pivot piece by the handle. See
http://tinyurl.com/7o2nen9 and http://tinyurl.com/89bnvlv for
reference.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On May 5, 4:40*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the correction. I did use the first one you linked to.
Not even sure what you would do with that first screw I erroneously
posted.

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 May 2012 07:06:41 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor
wrote:

wrote:
On May 5, 4:40*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
[...]

That thing bothered me so much I called Griz this morning and talked
to a nice lady in Customer Service. She neither knew what it was for
nor quite how it worked, so she gave me the number for Griz T/S, who
wasn't up at that hour.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Dr. Deb wrote:

Larry W wrote:

A second thought on your wood choice, might be worth researching if
red oak was typically used "back in the day." I don't know for sure,
but my guess would be that something with a tighter grain, or maybe
interlocking grain, would do better.

Larry, I will see what I can find. I have some soft maple, which cuts very
well. But, for obvious reasons, I would prefer hard maple. You don't
happen to have a full 2x2 of hard maple, about 42" long, in your hip pocket,
do you? :-)

Thanks

Deb

No, I'm just happy to see you.

Kurt vise swivel attachment question Tom Gardner[_2_] Metalworking 15 March 24th 08 01:22 AM
tail/end vise question 2fatty Woodworking 3 April 24th 06 11:32 PM
Another question regarding AMT equipment - an AMT miter vise Richard Woodworking 1 January 29th 06 04:06 PM
Vise question mongke Metalworking 4 March 14th 05 01:04 PM
Tail vise question... bhayner Woodworking 5 January 21st 05 06:38 AM