Posted to rec.woodworking
2fatty

Default tail/end vise question

I'm currently in the design phase of making a budget workbench. I'm mainly
planning on using this bench to assist in my new neander addiction (hand
planing/sawing etc etc...). Ideally I'd like to include a twin vise setup
like the LV twin screw vise but unfortunately I can't afford that kind of
expense right now. I do however have 2 bench screws. I realize the chain
system really makes the twin setup easier to use, but what kind of problems
will I run into if I setup a twin screw without chain going to present?
I've come up with a couple so far.
- working both screws at the same time will be a bit of a pain
- I'll need some kind of holding system so that I can put something in place
then use both hands to work the screws.

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

2fatty wrote:

I'm currently in the design phase of making a budget workbench. I'm mainly
planning on using this bench to assist in my new neander addiction (hand
planing/sawing etc etc...). Ideally I'd like to include a twin vise setup
like the LV twin screw vise but unfortunately I can't afford that kind of
expense right now. I do however have 2 bench screws. I realize the chain
system really makes the twin setup easier to use, but what kind of problems
will I run into if I setup a twin screw without chain going to present?
I've come up with a couple so far.
- working both screws at the same time will be a bit of a pain
- I'll need some kind of holding system so that I can put something in place
then use both hands to work the screws.

The twin screws end vise really only adds two capabilities over
a single screw end vise
- the ability to hold a wider (up to a bit over 16") piece vertical
between the screws - say for cutting dovetails
- two end point clamping of wider pieces - straight or curved
imagine clamping a round table top or the like -two bench dogs
in the bench top and two in the twin screw jaw - though that
could be done with two single screws

The twin screw will also allow for clamping tapered parts
since the chain drive can be disconnected to allow slanting
the jaws, but a shoulder vise does that and does it easier.

The twin screw vise has some drawbacks - specifically the
damn handles. Though they can be fairly easily removed
once you've got the piece clamped up, so you can get close
to the work, you now have two handles to keep track of
and they tend to wander off and hide if you don't corral them,
In their fixed, cranking position, they can extend above the
bench top height.so if you have parts on the bench top that
you're working on and just need to clamp something to
cut, chisel, pare or plane a part, the handles may
knock something off the bench. With a single screw,
the handle doesn't need to be fixed so it's never above
the bench top.

Look at the picture on this page and imagine a) standing
facing the end vise and trying to cut dovetails in a board
between the screws. Notice that the right handle is above
the bench top

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/.../CBbench0.html

(BTW - I wish they'd make the screw of a shoulder
vise a lot shorter- though having a throat opening
big enough for plaining dovetails on drawers is kind
of nice to have.

For now I'd skip the twin screw - chained together
or independent and see how things go. If you need
a second screw and jaws then worry about it. By
that time you may have saved up the bucks for the
Veritas Twin Screw.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

2fatty wrote:
I'm currently in the design phase of making a budget workbench. I'm mainly
planning on using this bench to assist in my new neander addiction (hand
planing/sawing etc etc...). Ideally I'd like to include a twin vise setup
like the LV twin screw vise but unfortunately I can't afford that kind of
expense right now. I do however have 2 bench screws. I realize the chain
system really makes the twin setup easier to use, but what kind of problems
will I run into if I setup a twin screw without chain going to present?
I've come up with a couple so far.
- working both screws at the same time will be a bit of a pain
- I'll need some kind of holding system so that I can put something in place
then use both hands to work the screws.

Not having the chain will allow you to tighten two screws separately
to better hold somethigng that is slightly tapered.

I'd consider it a plus.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:44:39 -0400, "2fatty" wrote:

I'm currently in the design phase of making a budget workbench.

I've got a Tage Frid (Scandanavian style) The vice I use most of all
are the moving dogs in the front edge, moved by the tailvice. I have no
use at all for it as an end vice.

Vice slip debriefing Bill Schwab Metalworking 12 October 25th 05 10:42 PM
Vise advice Bill Leonhardt Woodworking 9 July 8th 05 06:32 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Repair 6 March 26th 04 01:23 AM