mongke

Default Vise question

Hi all

I want to make/buy a vise for my workbench. I was thinking about a leg vise
but then I started thinking wouldn't it be structurally equivalent to fix a
common vise over one of the legs of the bench?. I cut the legs of mine from
a 4x5" beam of some heavy wood scavenged from a neighbours' house renovation,
so the bench should be heavy enough.
Any suggestions?

--

Regards,

Mongke

Bugs

Haven't seen any 'post' vises for sale lately, but you're right about
mounting it over a heavy leg. Just get a good heavy machinist's vise
that can take some abuse. You'll never be sorry you spent more on a
heavier vise.
Bugs

Pete & sheri

It depends upon what you plan to use the vise for. A "leg" or post vise
has jaws that are not parallel, so they are not good at holding things
that need parallel support. The reason for the "leg" is so that
blacksmiths can pound as hard as they want on the hot parts that are
held in the vise.
The machinist's vise does have parallel jaws and, although you can
probably pound on them, I don't think I'd do it on a regular basis.

Heck, why not have both? Your bench must have more than one leg.

Recently I wrote a product review for a propane-powered leg vise It was
quite a machine, but very expensive. I don't even have one myself.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------

mongke wrote:

Hi all

I want to make/buy a vise for my workbench. I was thinking about a leg vise
but then I started thinking wouldn't it be structurally equivalent to fix a
common vise over one of the legs of the bench?. I cut the legs of mine from
a 4x5" beam of some heavy wood scavenged from a neighbours' house renovation,
so the bench should be heavy enough.
Any suggestions?

Ken Davey

Pete & sheri wrote:
It depends upon what you plan to use the vise for. A "leg" or post
vise has jaws that are not parallel, so they are not good at holding
things that need parallel support. The reason for the "leg" is so
that blacksmiths can pound as hard as they want on the hot parts that
are held in the vise.
The machinist's vise does have parallel jaws and, although you can
probably pound on them, I don't think I'd do it on a regular basis.

Heck, why not have both? Your bench must have more than one leg.

Recently I wrote a product review for a propane-powered leg vise It
was quite a machine, but very expensive. I don't even have one
myself.
Pete Stanaitis

A propane powered vice??
This I have got to see!

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:46:55 -0600, the inscrutable "Ken Davey"
spake:

Pete & sheri wrote:

Recently I wrote a product review for a propane-powered leg vise It
was quite a machine, but very expensive. I don't even have one
myself.
Pete Stanaitis

A propane powered vice??
This I have got to see!

Darn, Google doesn't show anything at all for "propane-powered vise",
"propane leg vise", "propane vise", or "propane-powered leg vise".

--
EAT SOYLENT McD!

new foundation question oreo123 Home Repair 11 July 20th 04 10:41 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Repair 6 March 26th 04 01:23 AM
Replacement mortar question Paul Home Repair 8 December 2nd 03 01:18 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM