Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Attn: SketchUp users

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:08:02 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 4/27/2012 9:57 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 08:11:57 -0500, wrote:

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes, I'm sure it's worth it if you use it a lot. I recently used it to
make a 1-1 scale, 2-D template. However, after printing, the accuracy is
only as good as your ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have
margins. I believe there is room for improvement on this feature.

You simply can't blame the accuracy of multi page templates printed on a
personal printer on ANY software.

I'm still interested in it at $50, at $500 it's not going to happen.
For you, the $500 is tax-deductable and you recover it in sales, so, as
usual, it just depends on one's circumstances.

I guess I'll never understand why folks feel compelled to state the
obvious as if it were some astounding, heretofore unknown and
irrefutable truth??

Why is Bill's particular amount, $50, so obvious? And if someone else
replies that their limit would be $200, another $100, etc. and if
Trimble _somehow_ follow this thread, they'll have a better view of
what we think and what price to set if they do take away the freebies.
To me, it's all good.

Nor will we po' folks ever understand why people who are making really
good money never seem to consider their account balances. Unlike them,
we run OUT of money if it isn't dribbled out in small bits.

If you're standing in line at Starbucks and don't have the money in your
pocket to buy a tall Mocha, no further reasoning, or repeating to anyone
else, is needed to NOT buy one ... that is so "obvious" as to need no
further telling ... except perhaps to a six year old.

Well, there are times and persons here on the Wreck where that "six
year old" description fits the personality perfectly...

--
If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns.
It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Yep, especially those whom the phrase ".....so, as usual, it just depends
on one's circumstances." sails right over their heads.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:
To tell you the truth IMHO Sketchup is well worth the pro asking
price if that is the only way to get it.

I'm still interested in it at $50, at $500 it's not going to happen.
For you, the $500 is tax-deductable and you recover it in sales, so, as
usual, it just depends on one's circumstances.

I guess I'll never understand why folks feel compelled to state the
obvious as if it were some astounding, heretofore unknown and
irrefutable truth??

Swing, I think my comment was a reasonable reply to the assertion Leon
made. Your remark left out the context of my comment. No biggie,
only, if you're going to be condescending, at least be fair about it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 6:48 PM, Bill wrote:

Swing, I think my comment was a reasonable reply to the assertion Leon
made. Your remark left out the context of my comment. No biggie, only,
if you're going to be condescending, at least be fair about it.

Bull**** ... I quoted your words only, and replied to _exactly_ what
you said, nothing more, nothing less.

I did leave Leon's remark out, on purpose as it was not remotely
necessary to "context" because you reiterated the "context" yourself,
repeatedly, without it.

I apologized to Leon ONLY because his name was inadvertently included
and his words were not ... the only reason.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/27/2012 6:48 PM, Bill wrote:

Swing, I think my comment was a reasonable reply to the assertion Leon
made. Your remark left out the context of my comment. No biggie, only,
if you're going to be condescending, at least be fair about it.

Bull**** ... I quoted your words only, and replied to _exactly_ what you
said, nothing more, nothing less.

I did leave Leon's remark out, on purpose as it was not remotely
necessary to "context" because you reiterated the "context" yourself,
repeatedly, without it.

Geeze, from listening to you, one might think I had malicious intent.
It's not so. I strive to write clearly.

I apologized to Leon ONLY because his name was inadvertently included
and his words were not ... the only reason.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Larry, Your first 3 Tall Mocha's (tm) on me. I think someone may be
suffering PTSD over an old Festool thread. I'll buy him and Mike a beer
if they would like--don't think they need more caffeine. Everyone have
a great weekend! : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

How many times have you seen that phrase used here?

--
If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns.
It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they
fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
-- Margot Fonteyn
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

On 4/27/2012 9:53 AM, Robatoy wrote:

been a lot of different macs come through here. I still have my 128K
mac from 1984. Still boots and then sits there in its wonderful
uselessness saying 'hello'.

That was, and still is, in itself and at the time, pretty much as
astounding as anything I've ever seen for home use.

I've had Macs die for the simple reason that a battery went dead. Most PCs
don't die, they used to make you reenter the configuration in the BIOS.
(Nowadays they just detect everything.)

I've got a Mac that won't boot even with a new PRAM battery.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:03:35 -0500, wrote:

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Never by me. I just checked all of my sent messages for the word
"circumstances", and I was unable to locate similar usage. I think it's
just Friday. Of course, that's stating the obvious, but I don't mean
the obvious.

--
If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns.
It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they
fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
-- Margot Fonteyn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 9:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:03:35 -0500, wrote:

Yep, especially those whom the phrase ".....so, as usual, it just depends
on one's circumstances." sails right over their heads.

How many times have you seen that phrase used here?

Quit playing coy, C_less, you've seen the meaningless utterance
paraphrased at least a couple of dozen times in every Festool, Harbor
Fright, and SketchUP thread since day one.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/27/2012 9:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:03:35 -0500, wrote:

Yep, especially those whom the phrase ".....so, as usual, it just
depends on one's circumstances." sails right over their heads.

How many times have you seen that phrase used here?

Quit playing coy, C_less, you've seen the meaningless utterance
paraphrased at least a couple of dozen times in every Festool, Harbor
Fright, and SketchUP thread since day one.

Hey - wait a minute... there's no such thing as a meaningless utterance when
it comes to Harbor Freight conversations...

.... or Festool...

....... or SketchUP...

So - just what are you tring to say Karl?

Yes - I am trying to divert this - it's getting way too serious...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/27/2012 9:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:03:35 -0500, wrote:

Yep, especially those whom the phrase ".....so, as usual, it just
depends
on one's circumstances." sails right over their heads.

How many times have you seen that phrase used here?

Quit playing coy, C_less, you've seen the meaningless utterance
paraphrased at least a couple of dozen times in every Festool, Harbor
Fright, and SketchUP thread since day one.

IMHO, I doubt any of us want to invest further in this nonsense.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 4/27/2012 9:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:03:35 -0500, wrote:

Yep, especially those whom the phrase ".....so, as usual, it just
depends
on one's circumstances." sails right over their heads.

How many times have you seen that phrase used here?

Quit playing coy, C_less, you've seen the meaningless utterance
paraphrased at least a couple of dozen times in every Festool, Harbor
Fright, and SketchUP thread since day one.

IMHO, I doubt any of us want to invest further in this nonsense.

those of us that don't... don't...

Most of us don't need nannys to guard over us.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Geeze, from listening to you, one might think I had malicious intent.
It's not so. I strive to write clearly.

Any malicious intent or the impugning of the clarity of your writing is
entirely in your imagination.

What I did remark upon was both an erroneous assumption that software was
somehow to blame for your template accuracy problems; and an opinion that
you were belaboring the obvious with a less than profound statement about
how spending "....depends on your circumstances".

All fair game for possible remark as soon as you hit the send button ...
just take care that the **** stirrers don't continue to get you too excited
about that possibility.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:49:25 -0500, Swingman wrote:

The most solid Window OS I ever ran were WinNT, 4 and up; and, strangely
enough, Vista. I never had the problems with Vista that all the unwashed
masses, fanbois and commentards did, and still have two laptops running
it here at the house with far, far fewer problems than Win7

Yes, I forgot to include NT4. just before XP. It ran very well
actually with several fixes to help it along. Implicit in that fact
was a game that I particularly like which wouldn't run under any OS
previous to NT.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 08:05:02 -0500, Swingman wrote:
That said, I can't imagine anyone who has ever done any 3D modeling
seriously thinking they can actually do any worthwhile modeling with
their finger on a current tablet interface/OS ... not something I would
consider at this point even if it was remotely possible.

It's still too new a technology, but it will catch up. I'd say give it
two years and it meet your wish list.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

What I did remark upon was both an erroneous assumption
that software was somehow to blame for your template
accuracy problems;

Actually, this is not as erroneous as you make it out to be.
Since you have purchased the "Pro" version you have many more
options. DAGS for "printing to scale in sketchup" and you'll see
many people having problems. A good decription of the problem is
located at http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=117.

SketchUp is not smart enough to print only a specific, or
selected, object. Not minimizing the white space around the
object you wish to print results in something as simple as a
4"x4" square spanning across multiple pages.

You _can_ correctly print to scale but it's a PITA and far more
difficult than it should be.

Just my 2 cents from a SketchUp Free user...

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2012 9:28 AM, Larry wrote:
wrote in
:

What I did remark upon was both an erroneous assumption
that software was somehow to blame for your template
accuracy problems;

Actually, this is not as erroneous as you make it out to be.

Actually, you're wrong ... the OP's clearly stated assumption is
absolutely and irrefutably "erroneous", in ALL respects ... see below.

Since you have purchased the "Pro" version you have many more
options. DAGS for "printing to scale in sketchup" and you'll see
many people having problems. A good decription of the problem is
located at http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=117.

Yep, I used the free version for a number of years before going to the
Pro version, and am well aware of the limitations on scale printing,
NONE of which have anything to do with the OP's actual statement(s), see
below.

SketchUp is not smart enough to print only a specific, or
selected, object. Not minimizing the white space around the
object you wish to print results in something as simple as a
4"x4" square spanning across multiple pages.

You _can_ correctly print to scale but it's a PITA and far more
difficult than it should be.

Just my 2 cents from a SketchUp Free user...

Well, had you read the OP's problem correctly, which was clearly one of
the need for printing a 1:1 drawing that is larger than the printer
paper can accomodate:

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
I recently used it to make a 1-1 scale, 2-D template.
However, after printing, the accuracy is only as good as your
ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have margins.
I believe there is room for improvement on this feature.

.... you would clearly see, his assumption is that "the accuracy is only
as good as your ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have
margins", is NOT a "feature" of this particular software that can be
"improved upon", but is indeed a problem with ANY software when
attempting to print a 1:1 scale drawing that is larger than the maximum
size paper the printer can handle.

This is not an arguable point ...

Once again, his assumption that this is a problem with the software
under discussion, and his statement that "there is room for improvement
on this feature", is indeed totally "erroneous" ... a point which I
CLEARLY stated.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

I agree with you Swing, about the only thing they could do is possibly
give the option of printing a light grid or something over the image to
assist with the glue-up and registration. (and maybe a few brads while
the glue dries.)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
I recently used it to make a 1-1 scale, 2-D template.
However, after printing, the accuracy is only as good as
your
ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have margins.
I believe there is room for improvement on this feature.

... you would clearly see, his assumption is that "the
accuracy is only as good as your ability to glue together 2
to 4 pages which have margins", is NOT a "feature" of this
particular software that can be "improved upon", but is
indeed a problem with ANY software when attempting to print
a 1:1 scale drawing that is larger than the maximum size
paper the printer can handle.

This is not an arguable point ...

Once again, his assumption that this is a problem with the
software under discussion, and his statement that "there is
room for improvement on this feature", is indeed totally
"erroneous" ... a point which I CLEARLY stated.

You're absolutely wrong but you already have you're mind made
up and I'm not going to change it. I can do in AutoCad in a
couple of minutes what would take hours to get done in the
free version of SketchUp. Printing is much more flexible in a
real CAD program vs. SketchUp.

The original discussion centered around "glueing" pieces
together to have a full scale print. With _precise_ control of
printing this is easy. Add some crosshairs to the drawing to
use for lining things up, print to scale overlapping enough to
use the crosshairs, cut the margins off, glue together and you
have a full scale 1:1 drawing.

When printing a simple 4"x4" square in SketchUp, on my printer
it comes out on paper as 4" x 3 15/16" with no way to
compensate. Ergo, I can't print 1:1. Irrefutable. I can't
select an object to print without it being the only thing in
the visible screen. I don't need to print the screen, I need
to print the object. Just a couple of things with plenty of
room for improvment.

That said, I'm not complaining, it's a valuable tool as is and
we're lucky to have a free version. When trying to visualize
projects it's the first thing I use.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2012 10:41 AM, Larry wrote:

You're absolutely wrong but you already have you're mind made
up and I'm not going to change it.

Not true ... as soon as you provide solid evidence that the statement:

On 4/27/2012 8:11 AM, Swingman wrote:
You simply can't blame the accuracy of multi page templates printed
on a personal printer on ANY software.

.... is wrong, I'll swiftly retract any portion that is proven wrong.

I can do in AutoCad in a
couple of minutes what would take hours to get done in the
free version of SketchUp. Printing is much more flexible in a
real CAD program vs. SketchUp.

SketchUP is not technically a CAD program, and does not pretend to be.
It is instead "3D modeling software" ... there is a big difference in
the architectural concept under the hood, and elsewhere.

The original discussion centered around "glueing" pieces
together to have a full scale print. With _precise_ control of
printing this is easy. Add some crosshairs to the drawing to
use for lining things up, print to scale overlapping enough to
use the crosshairs, cut the margins off, glue together and you
have a full scale 1:1 drawing.

Still, a workaround (adding artifacts that are not germane to the
drawing), just like there are workarounds in SketchUP printing, as
you've noted, and with which I agree.

When printing a simple 4"x4" square in SketchUp, on my printer
it comes out on paper as 4" x 3 15/16" with no way to
compensate. Ergo, I can't print 1:1. Irrefutable. I can't
select an object to print without it being the only thing in
the visible screen. I don't need to print the screen, I need
to print the object. Just a couple of things with plenty of
room for improvment.

Once again, the "accuracy" problem the OP complained about is inherent
in assembling a drawing with any 1:1 scale drawing that spans multiple
pages, and is one that is irrespective of the software, and unless you
have a printer that does not use margins and will print to the edges, as
his clearly does (use margins), there is nothing you can do to fix it as
a feature, except use a workaround ... a concept that I have no argument
with.

That said, I'm not complaining, it's a valuable tool as is and
we're lucky to have a free version. When trying to visualize
projects it's the first thing I use.

No argument there ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2012 10:40 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

I agree with you Swing, about the only thing they could do is possibly
give the option of printing a light grid or something over the image to
assist with the glue-up and registration. (and maybe a few brads while
the glue dries.)

I will indeed qualify my contention to a point. There may well be a
program out there that will do it on a home printer without the need for
a device/workaround/kludge, and I would like to see it and give it a try.

I've personally had to use some type of device/workaround/kludge when
printing multi-page scale drawing to a home printer in _every_ software
program I've ever used, both CAD (AutoCAD was one I used, and printed
from, early on), including Sketchup Pro, which is not immune to the
problem itself.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

On 4/28/2012 10:41 AM, Larry wrote:

You're absolutely wrong but you already have you're mind
made up and I'm not going to change it.

Not true ... as soon as you provide solid evidence that the
statement:

You're going to tell me simply adding a selectable print
window wouldn't make things easier? Neither of us care about
the whitespace of the drawing, only what we've added.

On 4/27/2012 8:11 AM, Swingman wrote:
You simply can't blame the accuracy of multi page
templates printed on a personal printer on ANY software.

... is wrong, I'll swiftly retract any portion that is
proven wrong.

Convince me that being able to compensate for printer scaling
won't help.

I can do in AutoCad in a
couple of minutes what would take hours to get done in the
free version of SketchUp. Printing is much more flexible
in a real CAD program vs. SketchUp.

SketchUP is not technically a CAD program, and does not
pretend to be. It is instead "3D modeling software" ...
there is a big difference in the architectural concept
under the hood, and elsewhere.

Which is the reason I'm not complaining. The only bitch I've
got is they removed the ability to export to a *.dwg from the
free version.

The simple fact is that MANY people have problems printing to
scale regardless of whether or not the drawing spans pages and
a simple Google search will confirm that. You'll never make
software stupid proof but there is definitely room for
improvement in the printing functionality of SketchUp.

I'm done...

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2012 11:37 AM, Larry wrote:
wrote in
:

On 4/28/2012 10:41 AM, Larry wrote:

You're absolutely wrong but you already have you're mind
made up and I'm not going to change it.

Not true ... as soon as you provide solid evidence that the
statement:

You're going to tell me simply adding a selectable print
window wouldn't make things easier? Neither of us care about
the whitespace of the drawing, only what we've added.

IOW, by leaving my statement completely out of your reply, you can't
disprove it, but you can ignore it and change the subject?

Nice try ...

The simple fact is that MANY people have problems printing to
scale regardless of whether or not the drawing spans pages and
a simple Google search will confirm that. You'll never make
software stupid proof but there is definitely room for
improvement in the printing functionality of SketchUp.

Was never a point of contention, and I clearly stated that repeatedly.

I'm done...

And without making a shred of evidence proving what you flatly stated
was "erroneous", of course you are ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Well, had you read the OP's problem correctly, which was clearly one of
the need for printing a 1:1 drawing that is larger than the printer
paper can accomodate:

No, I had no problems with the accuracy of the units (inches). The
problem is that a 1:1 drawing wants to print accross 4 pages with the
sketch in the middle. By a certain amound of "screwing around"
(including, but not limited to, moving my drawing to the origin
(0,0,0)), I was able to get better results.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

The "light grid" is a nice idea, even if you have to add it yourself!
That's what is "missing", is something to help assemble the parts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2012 12:18 PM, Bill wrote:
FrozenNorth wrote:

I agree with you Swing, about the only thing they could do is possibly
give the option of printing a light grid or something over the image to
assist with the glue-up and registration. (and maybe a few brads while
the glue dries.)

The "light grid" is a nice idea, even if you have to add it yourself!
That's what is "missing", is something to help assemble the parts.

Have you tried printing to grid paper and see how that works?

Never had to do it myself, so can't speak to its workability.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

http://www.printfreegraphpaper.com/

There you go, try it and see what happens, print a couple sheets of
graph paper, then feed them back through the printer for SketchUp.

Let us know if it helps.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:

I agree with you Swing, about the only thing they could do is possibly
give the option of printing a light grid or something over the image to
assist with the glue-up and registration. (and maybe a few brads while
the glue dries.)

The "light grid" is a nice idea, even if you have to add it yourself!
That's what is "missing", is something to help assemble the parts.

Have you tried printing to grid paper and see how that works?

Adding one's own "grid" to the drawing seems sufficient and workable.
I'll try it next time.

Never had to do it myself, so can't speak to its workability.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Yeah ... that would probably also take out any peculiarities/errors in
printing of that particular printer out of the equation.

Excellent suggestion ... would like to know if it works!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:

I agree with you Swing, about the only thing they could do is possibly
give the option of printing a light grid or something over the image to
assist with the glue-up and registration. (and maybe a few brads while
the glue dries.)

The "light grid" is a nice idea, even if you have to add it yourself!
That's what is "missing", is something to help assemble the parts.

Have you tried printing to grid paper and see how that works?

Adding one's own "grid" to the drawing seems sufficient and workable.
I'll try it next time.

And add the grid to a hidden "layer", and that layer to a print "scene",
so you won't have to deal with it when using the model for 3D use.

I still like FN's idea of printing a grid from the same printer, then
using that to print to ... be nice to know if that works, might give it
try to see.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

I'm not a SketchUp user, just started the thread because I knew a bunch
of people here used it. I have done similar things before with other
programs when it was going to lead to a paste up of a few sheets.

Helpful hint #1, put a pencil/pen tick at the lead edge of the sheets,
so they go back through the same way, often top and bottom margins on
printers can be different.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:

I agree with you Swing, about the only thing they could do is possibly
give the option of printing a light grid or something over the
image to
assist with the glue-up and registration. (and maybe a few brads while
the glue dries.)

The "light grid" is a nice idea, even if you have to add it yourself!
That's what is "missing", is something to help assemble the parts.

Have you tried printing to grid paper and see how that works?

Adding one's own "grid" to the drawing seems sufficient and workable.
I'll try it next time.

And add the grid to a hidden "layer", and that layer to a print "scene",
so you won't have to deal with it when using the model for 3D use.

Cool. Add that layer to the SU software, and it will be a "valuable
new feature"!

I still like FN's idea of printing a grid from the same printer, then
using that to print to ... be nice to know if that works, might give it
try to see.

The disadvantage I see with the graph paper approach is that the graph
paper may have to be synchronized with the margins of your printer for
it to work. The "hidden grid" layer approach doesn't encounter that issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2012 1:59 PM, Bill wrote:

The disadvantage I see with the graph paper approach is that the graph
paper may have to be synchronized with the margins of your printer for
it to work.

Therein was the suggested theory that using both on the same printer
might negate that possibility. You gotta read these things, Bill.

The "hidden grid" layer approach doesn't encounter that issue.

Hard to tell whether that is case until you try both ... the problem you
are still going to face is the thickness/opacity of your template paper
not allowing you enough opacity to do accurate aligning. Tick marks, and
other workarounds, work great on opaque sheets in the architect's
office, but not necessarily well on home printers and copy paper.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/12 3:13 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/28/2012 1:59 PM, Bill wrote:

The disadvantage I see with the graph paper approach is that the graph
paper may have to be synchronized with the margins of your printer for
it to work.

Therein was the suggested theory that using both on the same printer
might negate that possibility. You gotta read these things, Bill.

The "hidden grid" layer approach doesn't encounter that issue.

Hard to tell whether that is case until you try both ... the problem you
are still going to face is the thickness/opacity of your template paper
not allowing you enough opacity to do accurate aligning. Tick marks, and
other workarounds, work great on opaque sheets in the architect's
office, but not necessarily well on home printers and copy paper.

Another possible option, can you export from Sketch-Up to a PDF?
If so, check out the printer dialog box in AcrobatX even the reader
version, under Poster it defaults to a .005" overlap, increase that to
an inch or so.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/28/2012 1:59 PM, Bill wrote:

The disadvantage I see with the graph paper approach is that the graph
paper may have to be synchronized with the margins of your printer for
it to work.

Therein was the suggested theory that using both on the same printer
might negate that possibility. You gotta read these things, Bill.

I read it. I'd rather try the "gridline approach". I don't expect my
printer picks up sheets with as much precision as SU draws gridlines.

The "hidden grid" layer approach doesn't encounter that issue.

Hard to tell whether that is case until you try both ... the problem you
are still going to face is the thickness/opacity of your template paper
not allowing you enough opacity to do accurate aligning. Tick marks, and
other workarounds, work great on opaque sheets in the architect's
office, but not necessarily well on home printers and copy paper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2012 9:28 AM, Larry wrote:
wrote in
:

What I did remark upon was both an erroneous assumption
that software was somehow to blame for your template
accuracy problems;

Actually, this is not as erroneous as you make it out to be.
Since you have purchased the "Pro" version you have many more
options. DAGS for "printing to scale in sketchup" and you'll see
many people having problems. A good decription of the problem is
located at http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=117.

SketchUp is not smart enough to print only a specific, or
selected, object. Not minimizing the white space around the
object you wish to print results in something as simple as a
4"x4" square spanning across multiple pages.

Actually it is. You just have to know how to do it. You simply make
the Sketchup window smaller to cut out all the extra white space.

You _can_ correctly print to scale but it's a PITA and far more
difficult than it should be.

Just my 2 cents from a SketchUp Free user...

Larry

And I am using the free version too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2012 12:15 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Well, had you read the OP's problem correctly, which was clearly one of
the need for printing a 1:1 drawing that is larger than the printer
paper can accomodate:

No, I had no problems with the accuracy of the units (inches). The
problem is that a 1:1 drawing wants to print accross 4 pages with the
sketch in the middle. By a certain amound of "screwing around"
(including, but not limited to, moving my drawing to the origin
(0,0,0)), I was able to get better results.

If you reshape the size of your Sketchup window you also cut down on the
extra pages needed. Just be sure to save you tool locations so that you
can restore them after going back to the normal orientation that you use.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Well, had you read the OP's problem correctly, which was clearly one of
the need for printing a 1:1 drawing that is larger than the printer
paper can accomodate:

No, I had no problems with the accuracy of the units (inches). The
problem is that a 1:1 drawing wants to print accross 4 pages with the
sketch in the middle. By a certain amound of "screwing around"
(including, but not limited to, moving my drawing to the origin
(0,0,0)), I was able to get better results.

If you reshape the size of your Sketchup window you also cut down on the
extra pages needed. *Just be sure to save you tool locations so that you
can restore them after going back to the normal orientation that you use.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...hinkTanked.jpg
Main floor mini den/office from where I read my news, watch my news,
do the FB thing and do some rough sketching.
This way I am not secluded in the downstairs office, but part of the
family's goings on, something I changed after I ran into this
mortality bit.
Another important bit:
Relaxation whilst working. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...oy/Amoment.jpg

And yes, sometimes you need an overview of the bigger picture. Then
flip to monitor # 3. LOL

Also, notice that I remained out of the fray during this thread,
because, ****, man, some things just aren't as important as they used
to be.

Sketchup Ralph Compton Woodworking 21 March 4th 12 07:03 PM
Attn: Abby Brown: Sketchup model of a Morris Dovey sawhorse - "Morris Dovey Sawhorse.skp" yEnc (1/1) William Douglas Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 June 15th 10 09:05 PM
Sketchup hep? SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 9 February 19th 10 08:57 PM
Many Sketchup users on this newsgroup? spaco Metalworking 8 March 22nd 09 11:11 PM
Sketchup 7 Leon Woodworking 80 March 2nd 09 02:51 PM