Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Attn: SketchUp users

Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:

http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042712a
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2012 3:26 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:

http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042712a

Probably weep, but who know$?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2012 1:32 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/26/2012 3:26 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:

http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042712a

Probably weep, but who know$?

With the number of free users, what does Trimble hope to
gain by buying a product that zillions of folks already
have for free ?

I have seen this sort of thing before and it never seems
to make any sense.ex: IBM bought Lotus for $$$$$(billion ?)
and that has been a dead money loser.

An MBA probably told them they could make it in "support" fees.

The SketchUp crowd might see something similar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2012 3:42 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 4/26/2012 1:32 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/26/2012 3:26 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:

http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042712a

Probably weep, but who know$?

With the number of free users, what does Trimble hope to
gain by buying a product that zillions of folks already
have for free ?

I have seen this sort of thing before and it never seems
to make any sense.ex: IBM bought Lotus for $$$$$(billion ?)
and that has been a dead money loser.

An MBA probably told them they could make it in "support" fees.

The SketchUp crowd might see something similar.

There past few years has seen a large increase of the installed base of
SketchUP Pro users who could arguably benefit greatly from this
acquisition, and since Trimble is right in the middle of supply the area
of benefit, this is indeed a very likely scenario ... at what cost that,
is the major question.

As far as the free version, if SketchUp never develops past its current
capability, users of the free version are still in a win/win situation.
I doubt that the free version will never benefit/be totally excluded
from any future features of the Pro version.

As a Pro user (because I need the presentation ability of that version
in a major way), I am indeed a bit concerned about a future price
increase, but I suppose as long as it is cost effective with regard to a
parallel increase in features, that it will a viable business investment
in software in any event.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2012 3:42 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 4/26/2012 1:32 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/26/2012 3:26 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:

http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042712a

Probably weep, but who know$?

With the number of free users, what does Trimble hope to
gain by buying a product that zillions of folks already
have for free ?

Well, It may not run on Win8 without an upgrade, a purchased upgrade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/12 7:26 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/26/2012 3:42 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 4/26/2012 1:32 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/26/2012 3:26 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:

http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042712a

Probably weep, but who know$?

With the number of free users, what does Trimble hope to
gain by buying a product that zillions of folks already
have for free ?

Well, It may not run on Win8 without an upgrade, a purchased upgrade.

Not sure if you have seen a preview of Win8, this is another version to
skip, what a POS.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On 4/26/12 7:26 PM, Leon wrote:

Well, It may not run on Win8 without an upgrade, a purchased upgrade.

Not sure if you have seen a preview of Win8, this is another version to
skip, what a POS.

I saw a review of Win 8. It made the remark that there were some features
that would help business, but they did not know what they were. All this
effort to make it look like a iphone, nobody seemed to care if any real work
gets done.

I think there should be two versions. One should be a work version for
people who do real work. And a gamers version for those folks who use their
computer to play games and look at movies..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2012 7:05 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 4/26/12 7:26 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/26/2012 3:42 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 4/26/2012 1:32 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/26/2012 3:26 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:

http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042712a

Probably weep, but who know$?

With the number of free users, what does Trimble hope to
gain by buying a product that zillions of folks already
have for free ?

Well, It may not run on Win8 without an upgrade, a purchased upgrade.

Not sure if you have seen a preview of Win8, this is another version to
skip, what a POS.

Just seeing the home screen was enough for mt to not even consider
upgrading.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2012 6:26 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/26/2012 3:42 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 4/26/2012 1:32 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/26/2012 3:26 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:

http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042712a

Probably weep, but who know$?

With the number of free users, what does Trimble hope to
gain by buying a product that zillions of folks already
have for free ?

Well, It may not run on Win8 without an upgrade, a purchased upgrade.

Some would consider that a blessing in disguise.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:

http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042712a

I don't like it, but I can certainly understand that Google may
think it has "other fish to fry", and it would probably like to
apply it's softare development staff to those other problems with
which is has real expertise. How much (more) do Google developers know
about architectural development and the other applications for SU?
Maybe Google hopes that enough of SU will be free that they can
keep using it for Google Earth.

Just please don't take my (free) copy away!!! : )

Thank you for the notice FrozeN.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2012 8:44 PM, Bill wrote:
FrozenNorth wrote:
Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:

http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042712a

I don't like it, but I can certainly understand that Google may
think it has "other fish to fry", and it would probably like to
apply it's softare development staff to those other problems with
which is has real expertise. How much (more) do Google developers know
about architectural development and the other applications for SU?
Maybe Google hopes that enough of SU will be free that they can
keep using it for Google Earth.

Just please don't take my (free) copy away!!! : )

Thank you for the notice FrozeN.

Bill

To tell you the truth IMHO Sketchup is well worth the pro asking price
if that is the only way to get it. Sketchup is on of the most valuable
WW tools I have.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/26/2012 8:44 PM, Bill wrote:
FrozenNorth wrote:
Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:

http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id=042712a

I don't like it, but I can certainly understand that Google may
think it has "other fish to fry", and it would probably like to
apply it's softare development staff to those other problems with
which is has real expertise. How much (more) do Google developers know
about architectural development and the other applications for SU?
Maybe Google hopes that enough of SU will be free that they can
keep using it for Google Earth.

Just please don't take my (free) copy away!!! : )

Thank you for the notice FrozeN.

Bill

To tell you the truth IMHO Sketchup is well worth the pro asking price
if that is the only way to get it. Sketchup is on of the most valuable
WW tools I have.

Yes, I'm sure it's worth it if you use it a lot. I recently used it to
make a 1-1 scale, 2-D template. However, after printing, the accuracy
is only as good as your ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have
margins. I believe there is room for improvement on this feature.

I'm still interested in it at $50, at $500 it's not going to happen.
For you, the $500 is tax-deductable and you recover it in sales, so, as
usual, it just depends on one's circumstances.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes, I'm sure it's worth it if you use it a lot. I recently used it to
make a 1-1 scale, 2-D template. However, after printing, the accuracy is
only as good as your ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have
margins. I believe there is room for improvement on this feature.

You simply can't blame the accuracy of multi page templates printed on a
personal printer on ANY software.

I'm still interested in it at $50, at $500 it's not going to happen.
For you, the $500 is tax-deductable and you recover it in sales, so, as
usual, it just depends on one's circumstances.

I guess I'll never understand why folks feel compelled to state the
obvious as if it were some astounding, heretofore unknown and
irrefutable truth??

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 08:11:57 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes, I'm sure it's worth it if you use it a lot. I recently used it to
make a 1-1 scale, 2-D template. However, after printing, the accuracy is
only as good as your ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have
margins. I believe there is room for improvement on this feature.

You simply can't blame the accuracy of multi page templates printed on a
personal printer on ANY software.

I'm still interested in it at $50, at $500 it's not going to happen.
For you, the $500 is tax-deductable and you recover it in sales, so, as
usual, it just depends on one's circumstances.

I guess I'll never understand why folks feel compelled to state the
obvious as if it were some astounding, heretofore unknown and
irrefutable truth??

Nor will we po' folks ever understand why people who are making really
good money never seem to consider their account balances. Unlike them,
we run OUT of money if it isn't dribbled out in small bits.

--
If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns.
It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:
To tell you the truth IMHO Sketchup is well worth the pro asking
price if that is the only way to get it.

I'm still interested in it at $50, at $500 it's not going to happen.
For you, the $500 is tax-deductable and you recover it in sales, so, as
usual, it just depends on one's circumstances.

I guess I'll never understand why folks feel compelled to state the
obvious as if it were some astounding, heretofore unknown and
irrefutable truth??

Swing, I think my comment was a reasonable reply to the assertion Leon
made. Your remark left out the context of my comment. No biggie,
only, if you're going to be condescending, at least be fair about it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2012 8:11 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 4/27/2012 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:

Sorry, Leon ... accidentally left your quote out.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Sketchup Ralph Compton Woodworking 21 March 4th 12 07:03 PM
Attn: Abby Brown: Sketchup model of a Morris Dovey sawhorse - "Morris Dovey Sawhorse.skp" yEnc (1/1) William Douglas Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 June 15th 10 09:05 PM
Sketchup hep? SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 9 February 19th 10 08:57 PM
Many Sketchup users on this newsgroup? spaco Metalworking 8 March 22nd 09 11:11 PM
Sketchup 7 Leon Woodworking 80 March 2nd 09 02:51 PM