Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Attn: SketchUp users

FrozenNorth wrote:
On 4/28/12 11:10 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/28/2012 9:28 AM, Larry wrote:
wrote in
:

What I did remark upon was both an erroneous assumption
that software was somehow to blame for your template
accuracy problems;

Actually, this is not as erroneous as you make it out to be.

Actually, you're wrong ... the OP's clearly stated assumption is
absolutely and irrefutably "erroneous", in ALL respects ... see below.

Since you have purchased the "Pro" version you have many more
options. DAGS for "printing to scale in sketchup" and you'll see
many people having problems. A good decription of the problem is
located at http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=117.

Yep, I used the free version for a number of years before going to the
Pro version, and am well aware of the limitations on scale printing,
NONE of which have anything to do with the OP's actual statement(s), see
below.

SketchUp is not smart enough to print only a specific, or
selected, object. Not minimizing the white space around the
object you wish to print results in something as simple as a
4"x4" square spanning across multiple pages.

You _can_ correctly print to scale but it's a PITA and far more
difficult than it should be.

Just my 2 cents from a SketchUp Free user...

Well, had you read the OP's problem correctly, which was clearly one of
the need for printing a 1:1 drawing that is larger than the printer
paper can accomodate:

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote:
I recently used it to make a 1-1 scale, 2-D template.
However, after printing, the accuracy is only as good as your
ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have margins.
I believe there is room for improvement on this feature.

... you would clearly see, his assumption is that "the accuracy is only
as good as your ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have
margins", is NOT a "feature" of this particular software that can be
"improved upon", but is indeed a problem with ANY software when
attempting to print a 1:1 scale drawing that is larger than the maximum
size paper the printer can handle.

This is not an arguable point ...

Once again, his assumption that this is a problem with the software
under discussion, and his statement that "there is room for improvement
on this feature", is indeed totally "erroneous" ... a point which I
CLEARLY stated.

I agree with you Swing, about the only thing they could do is possibly
give the option of printing a light grid or something over the image to
assist with the glue-up and registration. (and maybe a few brads while
the glue dries.)

The "light grid" is a nice idea, even if you have to add it yourself!
That's what is "missing", is something to help assemble the parts.