Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Attn: SketchUp users

On 4/28/2012 10:41 AM, Larry wrote:

You're absolutely wrong but you already have you're mind made
up and I'm not going to change it.

Not true ... as soon as you provide solid evidence that the statement:

On 4/27/2012 8:11 AM, Swingman wrote:
You simply can't blame the accuracy of multi page templates printed
on a personal printer on ANY software.

.... is wrong, I'll swiftly retract any portion that is proven wrong.

I can do in AutoCad in a
couple of minutes what would take hours to get done in the
free version of SketchUp. Printing is much more flexible in a
real CAD program vs. SketchUp.

SketchUP is not technically a CAD program, and does not pretend to be.
It is instead "3D modeling software" ... there is a big difference in
the architectural concept under the hood, and elsewhere.

The original discussion centered around "glueing" pieces
together to have a full scale print. With _precise_ control of
printing this is easy. Add some crosshairs to the drawing to
use for lining things up, print to scale overlapping enough to
use the crosshairs, cut the margins off, glue together and you
have a full scale 1:1 drawing.

Still, a workaround (adding artifacts that are not germane to the
drawing), just like there are workarounds in SketchUP printing, as
you've noted, and with which I agree.

When printing a simple 4"x4" square in SketchUp, on my printer
it comes out on paper as 4" x 3 15/16" with no way to
compensate. Ergo, I can't print 1:1. Irrefutable. I can't
select an object to print without it being the only thing in
the visible screen. I don't need to print the screen, I need
to print the object. Just a couple of things with plenty of
room for improvment.

Once again, the "accuracy" problem the OP complained about is inherent
in assembling a drawing with any 1:1 scale drawing that spans multiple
pages, and is one that is irrespective of the software, and unless you
have a printer that does not use margins and will print to the edges, as
his clearly does (use margins), there is nothing you can do to fix it as
a feature, except use a workaround ... a concept that I have no argument
with.

That said, I'm not complaining, it's a valuable tool as is and
we're lucky to have a free version. When trying to visualize
projects it's the first thing I use.

No argument there ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com