Posted to rec.woodworking

Default After-market Tablesaw Wings

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 22:11:38 -0400, Bill wrote:

I find that fairly compelling. I'd pay $200-250 for a cast iron top.
But TS-add ons I see seem to start closer to $300-400 and have
non-trivial install. And I suspect one still has to buy an appropriate
router insert.

The router insert is open to discussion. On my cast iron contractor's
table saw wing, I used a cut off wheel in a grinder to cut away the
enough of the ribs underneath. Then used a hack saw to cut a round
circle for my Makita 3612br router, which I bolted directly to the
wing. This was some 35 years ago. Took me about three hours to do the
entire job.

If it had been an insert, I suspect the process would have been much
easier. Hacksaw to cut a square plate out and bolted on retention
supports to stop the insert from falling through.

To be honest though, considering the weight of the cast iron wing and
the added weight of the router, I'd go with a melamine wing these
days. Easier, faster, cheaper. Can't beat those three reasons.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Dave writes:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:53:43 +0000 (UTC), lid (Drew
I like cast iron, and I'd like to have the full surface cast iron.
That said, the upgrade isn't near the top of the spending list.
I'm hoping this is the year I can afford a band saw, and that is
far higher on the wish list.

One thing that I consider detrimental about cast iron is it's weight.
Supporting that weight is often a problem and under certain
circumstances, that weight tends to affect alignment. Also, it rusts.

It sounds a little like your desire for cast iron is more you just
being enamored with it than having a real need for it. The only
practical reasons I can see for cast iron is that it's probably flat
and likely to stay that way. Finally, it's an unyielding solid surface
that you can use to hammer things on.

I like cast iron because it is, within my conditions and lifetime,
unchanging. If it is flat when I get it, it will still be flat the
day I die. (All assuming I take enough care to prevent rust.)

And, once things are assembled and upright, I consider the weight
to be a major benefit. Turning the saw upright was a pain in several
body parts, but I only have to do that once. After that, it is all
inertia to resist vibration.

Do I *need* the wings to be cast iron? Certainly not. If I
absolutely needed that, I'd have held out until I could afford a
saw in the next price step. But I'm a hobbiest. I don't really
need a table saw. It's a really cool toy. I make my living in a
cubical.

--
Drew Lawson | We were taking a vote when
| the ground came up and hit us.
| -- Cylon warrior

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

Not quite as compelling as might first appear Bill. All of the alternatives
that have been discussed here provide good flat surfaces, and they stay that
way. As for installation - it's trivial. They just bolt on, no matter what
type you go with. Of course cast iron might require a second set of hands
due to the weight.

Mike, My comment relied completely on what Grizzly has on their web
site. Below is what Grizzly says about their router table wing (Model
#:T10222):

NOTICE: Installation usually requires permanent modification to your
table saw or its parts. This modification may include cutting, grinding,
drilling, and tapping threads in metal surfaces. Please read the Owner's
Manual available online.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just stumbled across this, which has a 50 lb. cast iron wing

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...n_exten_anchor

John S.

On 04/10/2012 12:45 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
Are there any after-market/upgrade tablesaw wings, preferably cast
iron, available?

Rolling planer stand with wings Nonny Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 December 21st 09 07:23 PM
Tablesaw Wings - Cast Iron or Steel? HerHusband Woodworking 14 December 5th 07 08:56 PM
chamfer my TS wings RayV Woodworking 6 April 29th 06 05:59 PM
FS: Jet 10" Contractors Table Saw, with mobile base & CI wings Darrell Woodworking 1 February 2nd 05 11:58 PM
Steel Table Saw Wings Replaced w/Exact Fit Cast Iron Wings Joe Woody Woodpecker Woodworking 0 October 29th 04 09:44 PM