Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default After-market Tablesaw Wings

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:53:43 +0000 (UTC), lid (Drew
I like cast iron, and I'd like to have the full surface cast iron.
That said, the upgrade isn't near the top of the spending list.
I'm hoping this is the year I can afford a band saw, and that is
far higher on the wish list.

One thing that I consider detrimental about cast iron is it's weight.
Supporting that weight is often a problem and under certain
circumstances, that weight tends to affect alignment. Also, it rusts.

It sounds a little like your desire for cast iron is more you just
being enamored with it than having a real need for it.

The only
practical reasons I can see for cast iron is that it's probably flat
and likely to stay that way.

I find that fairly compelling. I'd pay $200-250 for a cast iron top.
But TS-add ons I see seem to start closer to $300-400 and have
non-trivial install. And I suspect one still has to buy an appropriate
router insert.

Finally, it's an unyielding solid surface
that you can use to hammer things on.