Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Default chamfer my TS wings

While building a cabinet I had to cut some dados using my TS. I taped
up the area to be cut with blue tape to prevent chipout on the plywood.
Where I had problems was the wings on my contractor saw are not
chamfered at the leading edge the way the main part of the table is.
This sharp edge caught the tape and pulled it away, balled it up, etc.
So I had to tape a dado, make the cut, remove the tape, tape the next,
make the cut, and so on... This sharp edge does cause some resistance
when cutting large pieces even without tape.

Should I file/grind a slight chamfer on the infeed side of my wings?

PS I have a router jig to make dados similar to this:
http://www.benchnotes.com/Router%20D...dado_guide.htm
I just didn't make it big enough for a 2' wide panel. I will be making
a bigger one for the dresser I plan on building next.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

PS I have a router jig to make dados similar to this:
http://www.benchnotes.com/Router%20D...dado_guide.htm
I just didn't make it big enough for a 2' wide panel. I will be making
a bigger one for the dresser I plan on building next.

Take a look here.

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/dado.html

This jig is self squaring and requires no shims when using a top bearing
flush trim bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Where I had problems was the wings on my contractor saw are not
chamfered at the leading edge the way the main part of the table is.

My Jet Cabinet saw is like that. Although it has not caused me problems, if
it did, I would not hesitate to modify it as you suggest.

I could be wrong, but I'll bet that they don't chamfer it just so that the
part can be symetrical, relieving them of the need for both a right and a
left casting.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:57:55 -0400, "Stephen M"
wrote:

Where I had problems was the wings on my contractor saw are not
chamfered at the leading edge the way the main part of the table is.

My Jet Cabinet saw is like that. Although it has not caused me problems, if
it did, I would not hesitate to modify it as you suggest.

I could be wrong, but I'll bet that they don't chamfer it just so that the
part can be symetrical, relieving them of the need for both a right and a
left casting.

-Steve

The table is chamfered because it needs to be functionally so that the
miter gage will not hang when starting off table.

The wings are not chamfered because the table chamfer is variable;
that is it is not always the same bevel length because tables are not
ground to a set block they are ground to clean up past any surface
porosity. In order for the wings to match they would have to be
assembled and beveled as a set. Very expensive. Consequently, wings
just get a file break of the sharp edge.

It certainly won't hurt to put a bevel on the wings if you are capable
of doing so.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

wrote:

Where I had problems was the wings on my contractor saw are not
chamfered at the leading edge the way the main part of the table is.

My Jet Cabinet saw is like that. Although it has not caused me problems, if
it did, I would not hesitate to modify it as you suggest.

I could be wrong, but I'll bet that they don't chamfer it just so that the
part can be symetrical, relieving them of the need for both a right and a
left casting.

On my Ridgid both edges of the wings are chamfered, only the front is
on the main table. I guess it's cheaper to chamfer them both than
keep track of a right and left.

The table is chamfered because it needs to be functionally so that the
miter gage will not hang when starting off table.

The wings are not chamfered because the table chamfer is variable;
that is it is not always the same bevel length because tables are not
ground to a set block they are ground to clean up past any surface
porosity. In order for the wings to match they would have to be
assembled and beveled as a set. Very expensive. Consequently, wings
just get a file break of the sharp edge.

They don't match up perfectly on mine, but they don't have to.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On 28 Apr 2006 07:41:02 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

Should I file/grind a slight chamfer on the infeed side of my wings?

I just took a file to mine. While I didn't get anywhere near the
amount of chamfer as on the table, I did get the edge knocked off
pretty well. It took about 15 minutes and I'm quite satisfied with
results. I was a little surprised that it was as easy as it was to
file down.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
RayV wrote:
...snipped...
Should I file/grind a slight chamfer on the infeed side of my wings?

I would. A file should work fine on CI wings.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

FS: Jet 10" Contractors Table Saw, with mobile base & CI wings Darrell Woodworking 1 February 2nd 05 11:58 PM
Steel Table Saw Wings Replaced w/Exact Fit Cast Iron Wings Joe Woody Woodpecker Woodworking 0 October 29th 04 09:44 PM
Chamfer help Dennis Woodworking 17 October 27th 04 02:18 AM
Routing a 3/4" Chamfer in a 1 1/2" stock Jerry Korea Woodworking 15 October 19th 04 05:21 PM