Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

Default chamfer my TS wings

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:14:30 -0500, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:57:55 -0400, "Stephen M"
wrote:

Where I had problems was the wings on my contractor saw are not
chamfered at the leading edge the way the main part of the table is.

My Jet Cabinet saw is like that. Although it has not caused me problems, if
it did, I would not hesitate to modify it as you suggest.

I could be wrong, but I'll bet that they don't chamfer it just so that the
part can be symetrical, relieving them of the need for both a right and a
left casting.

On my Ridgid both edges of the wings are chamfered, only the front is
on the main table. I guess it's cheaper to chamfer them both than
keep track of a right and left.

The table is chamfered because it needs to be functionally so that the
miter gage will not hang when starting off table.

The wings are not chamfered because the table chamfer is variable;
that is it is not always the same bevel length because tables are not
ground to a set block they are ground to clean up past any surface
porosity. In order for the wings to match they would have to be
assembled and beveled as a set. Very expensive. Consequently, wings
just get a file break of the sharp edge.

They don't match up perfectly on mine, but they don't have to.

-Leuf