Jerry Korea

Default Routing a 3/4" Chamfer in a 1 1/2" stock

This may sound like an easy question but ... I need to cut a 3/4"
chamfer in a circle cut from 1 1/2" stock. I have a 45 degree bit but
it does not seem to cut a large enough chamfer -- what is the best bit
for this job. Thanks in advance and sorry for such an easy question

Jerry
CW

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:sCDcd.15355$ If
you want to cut a 3/4" deep chamfer at 45 degrees, you need a bit that's at
least 3/4" in diameter.

1 1/2 inch diameter and then, only if it comes to a sharp point.

George

Slanted jig for the router, spiral bit. Two pins to reference, in the
board, router screwed to a base. That, or tilted bandsaw / disk sander
with circle jig.

and "Jerry Korea" wrote in message
om...
This may sound like an easy question but ... I need to cut a 3/4"
chamfer in a circle cut from 1 1/2" stock. I have a 45 degree bit but
it does not seem to cut a large enough chamfer -- what is the best bit
for this job. Thanks in advance and sorry for such an easy question

Jerry

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:11:06 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

I think he's trying to do this on a curved (circular in fact) stock.

Yes, I'd missed that bit.

Then it sounds like a job for a router, mounted on a trammel. Use an
extra- long straight bit (used by kitchen fitters to joint worktops -
they're worth having) and make the router sled with a built-in 45°
angle.

If you're hand planing something like this, I'd make a croze for it -
a barrel-maker's plane, with a custom-made one-radius sole. It's
soemthing to do with all the Stanley irons I have spare from upgraded
bench planes.

--
Smert' spamionam
Doug Miller

wrote:

I think he's trying to do this on a curved (circular in fact) stock.

Yes, I'd missed that bit.

Then it sounds like a job for a router, mounted on a trammel. Use an
extra- long straight bit (used by kitchen fitters to joint worktops -
they're worth having) and make the router sled with a built-in 45°
angle.

If you're hand planing something like this, I'd make a croze for it -
a barrel-maker's plane, with a custom-made one-radius sole. It's
soemthing to do with all the Stanley irons I have spare from upgraded
bench planes.

Oh, for goodness' sake! What a lot of trouble to go to! Why not just buy a
45-deg chamfer router bit with a longer cutting edge? Simple, quick, and easy.

--
Regards,

Mike Marlow

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , Andy Dingley

wrote:

I think he's trying to do this on a curved (circular in fact) stock.

Yes, I'd missed that bit.

Then it sounds like a job for a router, mounted on a trammel. Use an
extra- long straight bit (used by kitchen fitters to joint worktops -
they're worth having) and make the router sled with a built-in 45°
angle.

If you're hand planing something like this, I'd make a croze for it -
a barrel-maker's plane, with a custom-made one-radius sole. It's
soemthing to do with all the Stanley irons I have spare from upgraded
bench planes.

Oh, for goodness' sake! What a lot of trouble to go to! Why not just buy a
45-deg chamfer router bit with a longer cutting edge? Simple, quick, and

easy.

Thank you Doug. I was reading through the whole thread before beginning a
reply and the very thought that kept haunting me was "is this the Rube
Goldberg newsgroup?". It was worth a good chuckle to see how complex the
suggestions were becoming.
--

-Mike-

George

MLCS and others have 'em, but won't make as smooth a cut as a spiral on a
jig, especially uphill. A bit tougher on the router, swinging a 2 1/2" wing
bit, too.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:12:32 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

Oh, for goodness' sake! What a lot of trouble to go to! Why not just buy

45-deg chamfer router bit with a longer cutting edge? Simple, quick, and

easy.

Because he's already thought of that.

Secondly, 3/4" is a big chamfer. Biggest cutter I can find is only
18mm
--
Smert' spamionam

CW

If you had read the whole thread, you would see that someone already posted
a link to one.

" Biggest cutter I can find is only
18mm
--
Smert' spamionam

Edwin Pawlowski

"CW" no adddress@spam free.com wrote in message

If you had read the whole thread, you would see that someone already
posted
a link to one.

I did not read the entire thread either, but tonight I saw that Ridge
Carbide makes a cutter that is 1 3/4". If the other link does not turn out,
check with Ridge.