Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Rolling planer stand with wings

This is just a workshop gizmo that served me well over the years.
I had a 12" Delta planer and it came with little metal wings to
extend the bearing area of the base. I built a rolling stand for
the planer, then added two wings that folded down, using coffee
table wing brackets to lock them firmly "up" when needed. To gain
the additional height to match up with the base of the planer and
its wings, I added parallel strips of wood to the outfeed wing,
separated by about an inch per strip to allow for chips to not get
in the way of the infeed our outfeed. I also placed rollers at
the end of the wings for support and to reduce friction.

Without the strips on the outfeed table, the wood had a tendency
to catch on the outfeed roller. The strips also greatly reduced
snipe. Later, after this photo, I also added them to the infeed
table, though I'm not sure why. Grin

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Attached Thumbnails
Rolling planer stand with wings-delta-planer-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I like your shop. I see you do have some dust control. that is a real
problem for me.
I also have to set up tools since my shop is used for parking a work truck
and a family car.
The wheels make it nice for the planer, and the rollers are perfect.
great.....
john
"Nonny" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 12/20/09 11:48 PM, "Nonny" wrote:

This is just a workshop gizmo that served me well over the years.
I had a 12" Delta planer and it came with little metal wings to
extend the bearing area of the base. I built a rolling stand for
the planer, then added two wings that folded down, using coffee
table wing brackets to lock them firmly "up" when needed. To gain
the additional height to match up with the base of the planer and
its wings, I added parallel strips of wood to the outfeed wing,
separated by about an inch per strip to allow for chips to not get
in the way of the infeed our outfeed. I also placed rollers at
the end of the wings for support and to reduce friction.

Without the strips on the outfeed table, the wood had a tendency
to catch on the outfeed roller. The strips also greatly reduced
snipe. Later, after this photo, I also added them to the infeed
table, though I'm not sure why. Grin

Very nice. And timely as I am thinking of making a stand, but yours is a
much better design than what I was thinking of. I hope you don't mind if I
"steal" some of your ideas.

Merry Christmas.

Bob Haar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Robert Haar" wrote in message
[...]

If something I built can help someone else, it makes for a Merrier
Christmas. Enjoy.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote in message
I like your shop. I see you do have some dust control. that is
a real problem for me.
I also have to set up tools since my shop is used for parking a
work truck and a family car.
The wheels make it nice for the planer, and the rollers are
perfect.
great.....
john

My dust wasn't always controlled, but I tried. grin The planer
came with a takeoff, and I built an adapter onto a long flex hose
that I could slap on quickly. The major tools that were mounted,
such as the RAS, Cabinet Saw, table sander etc. all had under
floor metal piping to the DC, and the DC could be vented into its
bags OR with the flip of a lever be vented about 40' out behind my
home, into a wooded area with lots of brush. I'd vent outdoors
most of the time, but during AC or heating season, I'd keep the
shop air inside. Venting outside also created a small negative
pressure in the lower level shop, preventing dust from getting
into the house itself.