Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tape measure deals

Hey All:

I don't know how many of you are like me, but I hate all of the tape
measures on the market today. I don't want metric on one edge with SAE on
the other. I want SAE on both edges of the tape. I don't think or measure
in metric increments, so I don't want that taking up valuable space on my
tape. I hate it if I have to move my tape to mark a measurement, just
because there is some irrelevant markings along the edge I happened to drag
for marking.

Likewise - i can read a tape measure. I don't want and I don't like the
clutter of the new generation of idiot proof tapes that actually label 1/8,
1/4, 1/2, etc. for those that don't know how to read the simple marks on a
tape.

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just 1/16"
ticks on both edges of the tape. No idiot stuff, no metric stuff. Fits
your hand nice, has a really nice positive lock that locks and unlocks
easily holds the tape firmly. The best part - only 7 bucks and change!
Hell - I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on a give away tape...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2012 4:51 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
[...]

I agree totally about the idiot tapes. I bought one for one of my
"always counting little marks" fellas. It didn't help him all that much
and I can't stand to use it. I also don't like all the strange ways of
locking the tape. I prefer and will only buy the old original (well,
not metal cased anymore-sadly) Stanley PowerLoc.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2012 5:51 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
[...]

It is not as much of a problem when you loose a cheap tape as when you
loose and expensive one.

I am getting old and found that by buying a bunch of cheap tapes and
having them all around the shop and house I can always find one. There
was a point when I was spending more time looking for the expensive tape
than I was doing projects that required a tape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DanG wrote:

I agree totally about the idiot tapes. I bought one for one of my
"always counting little marks" fellas. It didn't help him all that
much and I can't stand to use it. I also don't like all the strange
ways of locking the tape. I prefer and will only buy the old
original (well, not metal cased anymore-sadly) Stanley PowerLoc.

I used to like the Stanley Lever Loc because I liked that squeeze the bottom
feature, to retract the tape. The one I have now is not that old and the
damned thing will not hold the tape in position if laid on the table. As
much as I like them, this one is going to the realm of "use by others", and
I'm going to buy a couple more of those Ace tapes for myself.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:

It is not as much of a problem when you loose a cheap tape as when you
loose and expensive one.

I am getting old and found that by buying a bunch of cheap tapes and
having them all around the shop and house I can always find one. There was
a point when I was spending more time looking for the
expensive tape than I was doing projects that required a tape.

And - isn't it just rediculous that the same tape with a Stanley nameplate
will cost over twice as much as that Ace brand tape! So... the value is...
where? Of course if it were a Festool...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:51:53 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

[...]

I was always of the same thought though most of my tapes are Klein as
that's what the electrical supply houses usually stocked. But I've
found with some of the Festool tools its handy to have a tape with
both inches and metric. Actually bought some of the same tapes
Swingman mentioned from Amazon. Don't have to do the math that way.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Now if only it comes in a 12' version.

FastCap makes what you would want too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nothing like being tied up in a knot with a tape measure, balancing off
the side of a ladder, and only one hand to operate the tape measure
extended past it's normal holding strength only to find the metric on
the side you need to get that 1/32" accuracy for that crown moulding
cut.

Double measurement tapes should be banned as they are so hard too hide
in the garbage can after the wrapping paper is ripped off the gift from
a well meaning friend. You keep it around and sooner or later you will
pick it up with many regrets.

---------------
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:
Nothing like being tied up in a knot with a tape measure, balancing
off the side of a ladder, and only one hand to operate the tape
measure extended past it's normal holding strength only to find the
metric on the side you need to get that 1/32" accuracy for that crown
moulding cut.

Double measurement tapes should be banned as they are so hard too hide
in the garbage can after the wrapping paper is ripped off the gift
from a well meaning friend. You keep it around and sooner or later
you will pick it up with many regrets.

You hit it right on the head! If I worked in both metric and SAE, that
would be one thing, but I don't so it really annoys me to stretch a tape -
especially in an awkward setting, only to find that the edge I need to read
is not what I need. I'm too old to teach new tricks to, so I stick with
what I'm familiar with in matters like this. If I did work in metric, I
would probably have a metric tape around for those times when I needed it,
and not deal with the hassle of not being able to read one edge for the
measuring system I'm using.

FWIW, I saw some tapes at Harbor Freight the other day that looked like they
would be worth purchasing. Fit the hand well, good positive lock (that's a
big one for me...), $3.00 - a great price, and felt pretty sturdy. Pulled
out the tape on just about every model they had on the rack, and all of them
were either dual scale, or worse... the idiot versions with the fractional
markings on them. My eye just can't warm to those after all these years of
recognizing ticks. The older ya get, the easier it is to confuse the
eyes...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2012 7:00 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/12/2012 4:51 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Hey All:

I don't know how many of you are like me, but I hate all of the tape
measures on the market today.

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just
1/16" ticks on both edges of the tape. No idiot stuff, no metric stuff. Fits
your hand nice, has a really nice positive lock that locks and unlocks
easily holds the tape firmly. The best part - only 7 bucks and change!
Hell - I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on a give away tape...

Yes, that is what I want in a tape. My favorite is a Stanley 33-312, a
12 footer. Before that I had a 10 footer that I lost or broke. My only
complaint about the Stanley is it has 1/32 marks on the first 12 inches
on one side. I don't need no stinking 1/32 markings on either side.

Now if only it comes in a 12' version.
FastCap makes what you would want too.

Recently, I bought a FastCap ProCarpenter 16' Old Standby on a
recommendation from some on this rec. Nope, don't like it. First, it
is 16', the smallest they had, and it's a bit too big for my cabinet
work, I like 12' or less. The return spring is a bit too powerful for
my tastes, the Stanley's have better feel, imo. I have cheap tapes from
the $1 barrel bin that have better feeling spring than the Fastcap.

The main issue though is the markings. The damned thing has 1/32
markings on BOTH sides of the tape for the first 12". I HATE 1/32"
markings, don't use them, don't need them, don't want them. At least my
Stanely has those only on *one* side of the first 12". If the Fastcap
had *only* 1/16" markings, and a slightly weaker spring, and was 12',
I'd say it was good tape for my shop.

I guess I should say what I like about the Fastcap, I like the rubber
shell. The pencil sharpener would be good out of my shop, the duel locks
is nice, the robust, 4 rivet front tab is excellent, and over all, it
feels durable. I would like it for carpentry work outside. In my
cabinet shop, where I don't need 16", nor 1/32" markings, not so much.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Mike Marlow wrote:
Hey All:
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just
1/16"

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 12:19*pm, Stuart wrote:
In article ,
* *Mike Marlow wrote:

Hey All:
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just
1/16"

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emailshttp://www.asciiribbon.org

Mine reads in Planck Units.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
Mike Marlow wrote:
Hey All:
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for
a friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) -
just 1/16"

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!

Yeah...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 13, 12:19 pm, Stuart wrote:
In article ,
Mike Marlow wrote:

Hey All:
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape
for a friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace
brand) - just 1/16"

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emailshttp://www.asciiribbon.org

Mine reads in Planck Units.

Naturally...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2012 11:19 AM, Stuart wrote:
In ,
Mike wrote:
Hey All:
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

That depends upon your scientific discipline of study over here ... if
you were a geologist the standard would be "API".

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am surprised no one had brought this up. When starting in the
trades, I learned to use a tape upside down. So did everyone else.
It wasn't an option, unless you were left handed. Think about it; if
the majority of your dexterity lies in your right hand, this will make
perfect sense.

Hold the tape in your left hand, hook the blade (you may have to slide
it out many, many feet when framing a roof or other tasks) after
carefully guiding the hook to the end of the board. You extend the
tape and mark with your right hand, the hand you write with and
perform other detailed tasks. Slip the hook up on the tape, and while
it is retracting in your left hand, put your pencil behind your ear,
then get your speed square with your right hand. It's all one big
motion. You never locked the tape; it was held in your left hand just
long enough to make your mark.

((At this same time, you learn to cut with the shoe of the saw on the
board, not the motor side. This allows you to see EXACTLY the point
of contact and the accuracy of the cut. Plus, you don't have to
change sides from where you measured.))

It was not taught to measure left to right. To do that, you had to
hook the tape, extend it where you need it (so far, so good) but then
there was monkey motion in getting the tape locked with your right
hand, retrieving the pencil with the right hand after locking the
tape, balancing the tape on the material to be cut, marking, then
unlocking the tape (which you would do with your right hand, which
should be putting the pencil behind your ear and reaching for the
square) and then finally get to the speed square for your saw line.

Too much activity for a cut, and imagine all that over the course of
cutting all day. Not to mention all the times the tape will fall over
(which it never does when you are holding it in your left hand) or you
lose your hook if you bump your material or the tape slips when
locked. Then you have to start over with your measuring.

If you could mark perfectly every single time with your left hand
(mine is an untrained idiot), you were allowed to measure left to
right. But if you were slow, clumsy, or needed more practice in your
cutting motion, you went back to being a mule.

I decided to learn as I was taught. Being the "saw man" was a step up
in job site status, plus when I was cutting the headers, rafters,
joists, bucks, etc., was sure a lot easier than having to haul them
all day as a laborer.

With almost 40 years of that in mind, I read my tapes upside down, and
can't easily decipher any tape that has too much stuff on it. I was
confounded years ago when the fractionalized tapes came out as the
clutter confused my dull mind. And I think it was soon discovered
that in the industry that "2 little sticks" was the common description
of 1/8" for some, and I even had helpers tell me that the fractions
they saw on a tape were "for something else". What, they didn't
know. Maybe something scientific. Baking, perhaps?

I was glad when that trend subsided. But the advent of combo metric
tape measures a few years ago muddied the water for me again. Now
most tapes I see are covered with unneeded and unwanted information
and if I don't have my glasses, sometimes I am up against it with
smaller tapes.

I don't want much. Sometimes I just want a long, retracting ruler
with one scale on it. I have them and can find them, but I just
wouldn't think it would be a challenge to do so.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2012 11:19 AM, Stuart wrote:
In ,
Mike wrote:
Hey All:
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just
1/16"

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!

I believe he was referring to SAE as opposed to Metric. As in INCHES.
and fractions thereof. Like the wrenches. SAE or metric. hello?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 5:12*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

I guess that's what I do (did). Just never stopped to figure out why I
did it that way. Seriously, I never even noticed the tape was upside
down. (Maybe because I learned to read upside down in French
literature in highschool.. HAD to cheat to get through that course.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 12:19*pm, Stuart wrote:
In article ,
* *Mike Marlow wrote:

Hey All:
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just
1/16"

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!

If they're good enough for Darth Vader, they're good
enough for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 12, 6:41*pm, DanG wrote:

I agree totally about the idiot tapes. *I bought one for one of my
"always counting little marks" fellas. *It didn't help him all that much
and I can't stand to use it. *I also don't like all the strange ways of
locking the tape. *I prefer and will only buy the old original (well,
not metal cased anymore-sadly) Stanley PowerLoc.

When were they other than chrome-plated plastic? As for
the tape markings, Stanley hit it right decades ago. Simple
1" and 1/16" ticks and bold numbers can't be improved upon.
Extra metric or otherwise scales on the opposite edge just
increase your chances of error.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stuart" wrote in message
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just
1/16"

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!

Then you have something called "BobsRule" which is in units called "bobs"
(whatever they are):

http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/hardw...bobsrule.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:23:04 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Feb 13, 12:19*pm, Stuart wrote:
In article ,
* *Mike Marlow wrote:

Hey All:
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just
1/16"

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emailshttp://www.asciiribbon.org

Mine reads in Planck Units.

How is old Max, anyway? What'd you pay for the quantum tape unit?

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Feb 13, 12:19*pm, Stuart wrote:
In article ,
* *Mike Marlow wrote:

Hey All:
[...]

Finally somebody's awake...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 20:04:32 -0500, "busbus"
wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just
1/16"

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!

Then you have something called "BobsRule" which is in units called "bobs"
(whatever they are):

http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/hardw...bobsrule.shtml

LoREENA Bobbit made up her own rule.

I've been known to use both sides of the tape while measuring. This
board's 61-5/8", that one is 123mm.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

wrote in message
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just
1/16"

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!

Then you have something called "BobsRule" which is in units called "bobs"
(whatever they are):

http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/hardw...bobsrule.shtml

LoREENA Bobbit made up her own rule.

I've been known to use both sides of the tape while measuring. This
board's 61-5/8", that one is 123mm.

I'm getting there.

But what is 0.525mm easier than 3/8" ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:23:04 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
Mine reads in Planck Units.

You've just been plonked, err, I mean plancked.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

wrote in message
I want SAE on both edges of the tape.

SAE?

Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just
1/16"

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!

Then you have something called "BobsRule" which is in units called "bobs"
(whatever they are):

http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/hardw...bobsrule.shtml

LoREENA Bobbit made up her own rule.

I've been known to use both sides of the tape while measuring. This
board's 61-5/8", that one is 123mm.

I'm getting there.

But what is 0.525mm easier than 3/8" ?

It's not. But when DESIGNING in metric, everything is done in tens or
tenths, hunreds or hundredths. So 1MM is .01CM, none of the silly 12
inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 36 inches to a yard etc, and none
of the .125 inches to the 1/8 inch. You design to the .1meter or
..01meter, or 12.5mm or whatever and never need to convert by anything
more complicated than moving decimal points to convert from one unit
to another.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I've been known to use both sides of the tape while measuring. This
board's 61-5/8", that one is 123mm.

Oh... that would seriously mess with my brain...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 23:04:27 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

But what is 0.525mm easier than 3/8" ?

It's not. But when DESIGNING in metric, everything is done in tens or
tenths, hunreds or hundredths. So 1MM is .01CM, none of the silly 12
inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 36 inches to a yard etc, and none
of the .125 inches to the 1/8 inch. You design to the .1meter or
.01meter, or 12.5mm or whatever and never need to convert by anything
more complicated than moving decimal points to convert from one unit
to another.

Ha! - you make it sound so easy...

He did, and he blatantly overlooked the metric RCH.
Ptooie, how many thou was that?

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 23:02:56 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I've been known to use both sides of the tape while measuring. This
board's 61-5/8", that one is 123mm.

Oh... that would seriously mess with my brain...

It only happens when I'm matching board lengths and I measure the
first board. If it lines up precisely with the metric side of the tape
and is in between ticks on the imperial, I use the metric scale.
Not a prob.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Ok, but why would I WANT TO do that???
It's damned difficult to eyeball 2 mm vs 3,
But dividing spaces into successive halves is easy.
I can reliably estimate 3/23" Half way between 1/16 and 1/8.

Call them silly if you want, but I'm not buying it as long as Greenwich
runs on base 60/60/24/30,31,29or maybe 29.

Although I have to admit getting away from
pounds/shillings/pence/ha'pennies was a good idea. Shame it's not
working so well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I've been known to use both sides of the tape while measuring. This
board's 61-5/8", that one is 123mm.

Oh... that would seriously mess with my brain...

It only happens when I'm matching board lengths and I measure the
first board. If it lines up precisely with the metric side of the tape
and is in between ticks on the imperial, I use the metric scale.
Not a prob.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

I do that one too.
But I wasn't going to admit it first...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

AND! Even the type is so obvious anybody would catch it.
That's not so obvious in mm.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

He did, and he blatantly overlooked the metric RCH.
Ptooie, how many thou was that?

Don't worry, we'll just use nanometers, micrometers, or maybe picometers.

If we wanted to really confuse things, we could apply the SI prefixes to
inches.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 23:04:27 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

But what is 0.525mm easier than 3/8" ?

It's not. But when DESIGNING in metric, everything is done in tens or
tenths, hunreds or hundredths. So 1MM is .01CM, none of the silly 12
inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 36 inches to a yard etc, and none
of the .125 inches to the 1/8 inch. You design to the .1meter or
.01meter, or 12.5mm or whatever and never need to convert by anything
more complicated than moving decimal points to convert from one unit
to another.

Ha! - you make it sound so easy...

It is. Working with wood and present dimensional material is not, but
designing a new machined part is a snap. If you start with rough
lumber, you can plane it to 19mm easy enough but with a 2 x 4 you'd be
off .1 from a round number. 38.1 x 88.9

Designing a new part and new machined tool, metric is a snap with very
few less than full mm dimensions.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in news:4f39ef8e$0$5486
:

If we wanted to really confuse things, we could apply the SI prefixes to
inches.

That would then be Silly Itsy SAE ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

[...]

On the other hand, lumber being very anal retentive in nomenclature,
width x length in mm of sheets of plywood, wallboard, or whatever is
really interesting 122x244cm

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote in news:Xns9FF94F2E85281ikkezelf@
216.151.153.189:

On the other hand, lumber being very anal retentive in nomenclature,
width x length in mm of sheets of plywood, wallboard, or whatever is
really interesting 122x244cm

With metric measurements, exact size should be easy, right? Do the
manufacturers still try to sell 18mm plywood that's only 17.2mm?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Measure without tape measure. Robatoy Woodworking 60 February 16th 08 07:31 AM
tape measure mohammad Woodworking 3 May 1st 06 07:13 PM
new use for a tape measure DOC Metalworking 8 November 4th 05 10:13 PM
Tape Measure Rip Off Sunworshipper Metalworking 4 January 26th 05 04:36 AM
Tom Gardner: another tape measure Joel Corwith Metalworking 2 November 28th 03 05:38 AM