Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Tape measure deals

On 2/12/2012 4:51 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Hey All:

I don't know how many of you are like me, but I hate all of the tape
measures on the market today. I don't want metric on one edge with SAE on
the other. I want SAE on both edges of the tape. I don't think or measure
in metric increments, so I don't want that taking up valuable space on my
tape. I hate it if I have to move my tape to mark a measurement, just
because there is some irrelevant markings along the edge I happened to drag
for marking.

Likewise - i can read a tape measure. I don't want and I don't like the
clutter of the new generation of idiot proof tapes that actually label 1/8,
1/4, 1/2, etc. for those that don't know how to read the simple marks on a
tape.

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just 1/16"
ticks on both edges of the tape. No idiot stuff, no metric stuff. Fits
your hand nice, has a really nice positive lock that locks and unlocks
easily holds the tape firmly. The best part - only 7 bucks and change!
Hell - I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on a give away tape...

I agree totally about the idiot tapes. I bought one for one of my
"always counting little marks" fellas. It didn't help him all that much
and I can't stand to use it. I also don't like all the strange ways of
locking the tape. I prefer and will only buy the old original (well,
not metal cased anymore-sadly) Stanley PowerLoc.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven