Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Tape measure deals

On 2/13/2012 7:00 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/12/2012 4:51 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Hey All:

I don't know how many of you are like me, but I hate all of the tape
measures on the market today.

So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a
friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just
1/16" ticks on both edges of the tape. No idiot stuff, no metric stuff. Fits
your hand nice, has a really nice positive lock that locks and unlocks
easily holds the tape firmly. The best part - only 7 bucks and change!
Hell - I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on a give away tape...

Yes, that is what I want in a tape. My favorite is a Stanley 33-312, a
12 footer. Before that I had a 10 footer that I lost or broke. My only
complaint about the Stanley is it has 1/32 marks on the first 12 inches
on one side. I don't need no stinking 1/32 markings on either side.

Now if only it comes in a 12' version.
FastCap makes what you would want too.

Recently, I bought a FastCap ProCarpenter 16' Old Standby on a
recommendation from some on this rec. Nope, don't like it. First, it
is 16', the smallest they had, and it's a bit too big for my cabinet
work, I like 12' or less. The return spring is a bit too powerful for
my tastes, the Stanley's have better feel, imo. I have cheap tapes from
the $1 barrel bin that have better feeling spring than the Fastcap.

The main issue though is the markings. The damned thing has 1/32
markings on BOTH sides of the tape for the first 12". I HATE 1/32"
markings, don't use them, don't need them, don't want them. At least my
Stanely has those only on *one* side of the first 12". If the Fastcap
had *only* 1/16" markings, and a slightly weaker spring, and was 12',
I'd say it was good tape for my shop.

I guess I should say what I like about the Fastcap, I like the rubber
shell. The pencil sharpener would be good out of my shop, the duel locks
is nice, the robust, 4 rivet front tab is excellent, and over all, it
feels durable. I would like it for carpentry work outside. In my
cabinet shop, where I don't need 16", nor 1/32" markings, not so much.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com