Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Justifying the Donino.

This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 11:30 AM, Leon wrote:
This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

BTY I will use $6.72 worth of 5mm Domino's tenons to in these mortices'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 11:33 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/8/2012 11:30 AM, Leon wrote:
This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

BTY I will use $6.72 worth of 5mm Domino's tenons to in these mortices'.

CRAP Strike that, $3.36 worth of 5mm Domino tenons.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 11:30 AM, Leon wrote:
This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words (or 1,236,469 words on
the wRec).

All I have to say is ... Wow!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 2:46 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article6dudnQ9FBbqkLK_SnZ2dnUVZ5h2dnZ2d@giganews. com,
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

In an *hour*??? I bow to you.

(Me, I finally decided it was time to get a biscuit joiner rather
than cut them with a router.)

LOL... I would say you have taken a major step forward. It would be
tough to cut a slot into the face of a panel with a router, mid-panel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 1:34 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 2/08/12 2:07 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/8/12 12:08 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 2/08/12 12:30 PM, Leon wrote:
This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Then between 11 am and 12 am, you went back and counted them all. :-)

13 hours to count them? That's some serious ADD. :-p

Using his fingers and toes he can only count to 19 1/2. :-)

Ah.... you remember old "stubby". LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 3:22 PM, Leon wrote:

LOL... I would say you have taken a major step forward. It would be
tough to cut a slot into the face of a panel with a router, mid-panel.

Next question ... did you use your story stick pro's to do that also?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 3:24 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/8/2012 3:22 PM, Leon wrote:

LOL... I would say you have taken a major step forward. It would be
tough to cut a slot into the face of a panel with a router, mid-panel.

Next question ... did you use your story stick pro's to do that also?

Not at all. The indexing pins on the Domino and,

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/d...op-498590.html

on both sides to provide the needed increments.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 11:30 AM, Leon wrote:
This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

One more thing that the domino tenons excel at which I would have never
though of doing with biscuits.

When matibg two pieces with these 5mm domino's I can glue and tap the
pieces together, lift by the top piece, rotate 180 degrees, and then
attach the opposite side. The domino's hold the parts together before
the glue dries. Basically parts stay in place with no fear of parts
coming apart from their own weight..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 3:22 PM, Leon wrote:

LOL... I would say you have taken a major step forward. It would be
tough to cut a slot into the face of a panel with a router, mid-panel.

Next question ... did you use your story stick pro's to do that also?

Not at all. The indexing pins on the Domino and,

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/d...op-498590.html

on both sides to provide the needed increments.

You said "into the face of a panel ... mid-panel" How did you insure an
accurate "mid-panel" measurement for opposing panels (say from the
bottom or top of the panel)?

Just trying to determine whether you have really thrown away all your
tape measures (and where you threw them)?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 3:22 PM, Leon wrote:

LOL... I would say you have taken a major step forward. It would be
tough to cut a slot into the face of a panel with a router, mid-panel.

Next question ... did you use your story stick pro's to do that also?

Not at all. The indexing pins on the Domino and,

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/d...op-498590.html

on both sides to provide the needed increments.

You said "into the face of a panel ... mid-panel" How did you insure an
accurate "mid-panel" measurement for opposing panels (say from the
bottom or top of the panel)?

I was replying that it would be hard to cut a biscuit slot into the face
of a panel with a router bit made for cutting biscuits slots.
You would have to switch from a slot cutting blade bit to a straight bit.

Just trying to determine whether you have really thrown away all your
tape measures (and where you threw them)?

Now, ;~) I have not yet used my tape measure on this job except to
verify/double check my track placement. So far all cuts have been
either on the TS or laid out with the story sticks.

All of the mortices were spaced with the built in indexing pins on both
sides of the Domino and the Domino Cross Stop accessory.

In the case of up and down on a panel I would do the same as I would if
using a biscuit cuter, clamp a strait edge across the panel at the
desired height. So far all of my mortices on these pieces have been on
the top and bottom edges.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 5:23 PM, Leon wrote:

To add to that a bit with the cross stop accessory you can make mortices
one after the other evenly spaced indefinitely. The indexing pins on
both the Domino and the cross stop accessory are at the same height as
the mortise. You cut a mortise, slide the Domino down until the
indexing pin engages that mortice and cut again and so on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

The subject has been bugging me all day... Why on earth does it have to be
justified? Why can't we just buy stuff because it strikes our fancy on a
whim? So what if it only gets used occasionally if it makes us happy? I've
got some tools that don't get used often but when I need them I NEED them...
and when I need them I say to myself "I'm glad I bought this."

I think you guys need more practice if you are locked into this "justify"
mind set... ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:30:26 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.

168 mortises eh? Considering the amount of messages you've posted and
time you've been online lately, I'm wondering how you found the time
to cut those mortises?

Perhaps you finally got to Dominoing again because you managed to get
it back after loaning it to Swingman? You gotta watch out for that
guy. He's got a real fixation with your Domino.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

I hope this doesn't ruin your day; it is the newer bigger better
Domino. But not available yet.

http://woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/...er_8956.asp x

Posted to rec.woodworking

The subject has been bugging me all day... Why on earth does it have to
be justified? Why can't we just buy stuff because it strikes our fancy
on a whim? So what if it only gets used occasionally if it makes us
happy? I've got some tools that don't get used often but when I need
them I NEED them... and when I need them I say to myself "I'm glad I
bought this."

Don't look now, but you just proved that you, yourself, were
"justifying" the purchase with a "need", no matter how occasionally that
need arose.

I think you guys need more practice if you are locked into this
"justify" mind set... ;~)

I think you need to think a bit more about what you said and why you
even took exception to someone's "justification", especially when he was
pretty damn specific about what that was?

Every tool purchase, at a price level that is determined by the user and
according to his need, has a "justification" for purchase.

Except for the bargain table at the Borg, and maybe even then, I would
love to hear your explanation for when that is not always the case?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Looked thru some/most of your pics. Nice stuff.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

I think you need to think a bit more about what you said and why you even
took exception to someone's "justification", especially when he was pretty
damn specific about what that was?

First off... it was tongue in cheek. ;~) Point was buy it... enjoy it... if
it turns out that you use it a lot and it's a quality tool you'll forget
what you paid for it. If you use it and it's junk you'll never forget what
you paid. If you don't use it and stumble across it years later you may not
even remember buying it...

Every tool purchase, at a price level that is determined by the user and
according to his need, has a "justification" for purchase.

Yes, price is an issue. Everyone has a price point/budget that comes into
play when making purchases. In my woodworking club there are guys who drop
many thousands without blinking an eye and there are guys who agonize over
seemingly trival and relatively inexpensive items. Most fall somewhere in
between.

Except for the bargain table at the Borg, and maybe even then, I would
love to hear your explanation for when that is not always the case?

Over time I've had occasion to purchase tools, including stationary tools,
that were of no clear use to me at the time but they struck my fancy. My
1905 Crescent 36" bandsaw is the largest such purchase... stands about 8
feet tall! To me it is just way cool! I bought it because I liked the idea
of having a 36" bandsaw not because I needed it--though I can think of
things I could do with it that would be difficult or impossible on my 18"
saw. One of my female friends, as a way of busting my chops, refers to it as
my "big tool." Maybe that was the real justification. ;~)

"It's cheap" led me to buy a LOT of stuff in January 2004 when Woodworker's
Warehouse went out of business. The last couple days things were selling for
a few pennies on the dollar, e.g., I think I paid $1 for a table saw side
table that I set up as an out feed table and a buck a piece for things like
shaper rub bearings. Some of that stuff is still brand new in the wrapper
all these years later. While rearranging the drawer for my shaper stuff this
evening, to make room for three new cutters, I came across a large ogee
cutter that I forgot I had from the WW purchases. It's so big that 5/4 or
6/4 would be needed to see the whole profile. It's brand new in the box and
here I am 8 years later and I have a project coming up where I might be able
to use it... good thing I was rearranging the drawer or I might have
purchased another one and paid real money for it! ;~)

Perceived need drives some purchases... existing tools could serve. Variety
makes things more interesting... biscuits, pocket screws, mortise and tenon,
nails... all could be used but corrugated fasteners and staples could work
took. Gotta have them all. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

I think you need to think a bit more about what you said and why you
even took exception to someone's "justification", especially when he
was pretty damn specific about what that was?

First off... it was tongue in cheek. ;~) Point was buy it... enjoy it...

Well no damn wonder!

:-J is how I remember "tongue in cheek".

[...]

Good points all ... very different from my usual reason for buying, but
certainly valid. Thanks.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168
mortices, precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers
of mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

The subject has been bugging me all day... Why on earth does it have to
be justified? Why can't we just buy stuff because it strikes our fancy
on a whim? So what if it only gets used occasionally if it makes us
happy? I've got some tools that don't get used often but when I need
them I NEED them... and when I need them I say to myself "I'm glad I
bought this."

I think you guys need more practice if you are locked into this
"justify" mind set... ;~)

John

Wellllllll I don't have to justify it but some do and think it is crazy
to spent that kind of money when they can do it with a bench top
mortiser, router, DP and chisel, chisel. etc.

I think that because the machine is relative expensive that most don't
seriously consider it and therefore have no clue of how much time it
will save them. For me it saves time and encourages me to use better
building techniques.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 6:53 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:30:26 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.

168 mortises eh? Considering the amount of messages you've posted and
time you've been online lately, I'm wondering how you found the time
to cut those mortises?

Perhaps you finally got to Dominoing again because you managed to get
it back after loaning it to Swingman? You gotta watch out for that
guy. He's got a real fixation with your Domino.

Well I used the Domino. ;~) That afforded me more time on there. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

I hope this doesn't ruin your day; it is the newer bigger better
Domino. But not available yet.

http://woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/...er_8956.asp x

I know about it and just got my rejection letter from Festool last week,
then needed a few guiney pigs to try one out. I actually believe I am
going to pass on this one, I think it is going to be better suited for
larger than furniture projects. Now if I were into door building,
bridge building, timber frame building, etc I would probably jump all
over it. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 9:06 PM, notImpressed wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices,
precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring.
Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of
mortices on each end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Looked thru some/most of your pics. Nice stuff.

Thank You! Can I build you something? I need to justify the cost of
my Domino. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

Wellllllll I don't have to justify it but some do and think it is crazy to
spent that kind of money when they can do it with a bench top mortiser,
router, DP and chisel, chisel. etc.

I think that because the machine is relative expensive that most don't
seriously consider it and therefore have no clue of how much time it will
save them. For me it saves time and encourages me to use better building
techniques.

As I replied to Swingman that was a tongue in cheek post... ;~)

I know a couple guys who own Dominos. One has a commercial shop and a rack
full of Festool tools... he makes money with his tools and as you implicitly
point out time is money--that is all the justification needed when you are
trying to put food in your mouth! That guy does first class work and is also
the only guy I know personally, besides myself, who has a 36" bandsaw. It's
always interesting to see the jigs and fixtures he creates to solve complex
machining problems... a good source for ideas and inspiration.

The other guy I know is retired and has the discretionary funds to buy one.
He had one project, a large dining room set, where he opted to use the
Domino and it worked out well for him. I think his choice was mostly based
on the fact that he could and that it relieved him of a lot of tedious
mortise and tenon work--not a job for biscuits.

Me personally. I don't have one at this time but I wouldn't rule it out in
the future if I concluded that it was the best tool for the job based on
performance and speed. Shop time is the thing I lack most. The time thing is
what prompted me recently to get a corrugated fastener so I could tackle a
sizeable project for my son's Boy Scout Troop and to a lesser degree a
future project. It also prompted me to order some shaper cutters for another
project I'm doing for a friend. Without the cutters the job would have
required a lot of set up changes and passes on the table saw and I'd have
ended up with a less robust product. I'm not sure I'll use two of the three
cutters again but for $70 they more than justified themselves for this
project. The only thing that gives me time on the wreck is that fact that it
takes time for automated jobs and programs to run that otherwise tie up my
computer... I am proficient at time slicing during the day!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Justifying the Domino.

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 06:37:03 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I think that because the machine is relative expensive that most don't
seriously consider it and therefore have no clue of how much time it
will save them. For me it saves time and encourages me to use better
building techniques.

And considering those drawer fronts you pin attached with Dominos,
it's also capable of adding a dimension of artistry to some projects.
While possible with regular mortise and tenon constructions, stuff
like that is not so often visible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

Wellllllll I don't have to justify it but some do and think it is
crazy to spent that kind of money when they can do it with a bench top
mortiser, router, DP and chisel, chisel. etc.

I think that because the machine is relative expensive that most don't
seriously consider it and therefore have no clue of how much time it
will save them. For me it saves time and encourages me to use better
building techniques.

As I replied to Swingman that was a tongue in cheek post... ;~)

I totally understood that, but I knew there would be others that didn't
hence my reply. ;~) I think you just caught Swingman off guard, he has
been going at it with a couple of others here. ;-0

And I totally agree, who can really justify the cost of a 70" vs 40" TV?

If you like it, want it, and can afford it, GET IT. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 8:48 AM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 06:37:03 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
I think that because the machine is relative expensive that most don't
seriously consider it and therefore have no clue of how much time it
will save them. For me it saves time and encourages me to use better
building techniques.

And considering those drawer fronts you pin attached with Dominos,
it's also capable of adding a dimension of artistry to some projects.
While possible with regular mortise and tenon constructions, stuff
like that is not so often visible.

Exactly! In another post I covered the fact that it was those exposed
Domino's on 3 other drawers that probably got me the big drawer job.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

I know about it and just got my rejection letter from Festool last week,
then needed a few guiney pigs to try one out. I actually believe I am
going to pass on this one, I think it is going to be better suited for
larger than furniture projects. Now if I were into door building, bridge
building, timber frame building, etc I would probably jump all over it.
;~)

Rejection letter from Festool?? Those *******s!! LOL

You need to by the big fella. It will help with your upcoming catapult and
trebuchet projects. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 9:43 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" wrote

I know about it and just got my rejection letter from Festool last
week, then needed a few guiney pigs to try one out. I actually believe
I am going to pass on this one, I think it is going to be better
suited for larger than furniture projects. Now if I were into door
building, bridge building, timber frame building, etc I would probably
jump all over it. ;~)

Rejection letter from Festool?? Those *******s!! LOL

I know!

You need to by the big fella. It will help with your upcoming catapult
and trebuchet projects. ;-)

Oh Noooooooo!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

Wellllllll I don't have to justify it but some do and think it is
crazy to spent that kind of money when they can do it with a bench top
mortiser, router, DP and chisel, chisel. etc.

I think that because the machine is relative expensive that most don't
seriously consider it and therefore have no clue of how much time it
will save them. For me it saves time and encourages me to use better
building techniques.

As I replied to Swingman that was a tongue in cheek post... ;~)

I totally understood that, but I knew there would be others that didn't
hence my reply. ;~) I think you just caught Swingman off guard, he has
been going at it with a couple of others here. ;-0

Could be... I'm dismayed at how badly things deteriorate here at times...
Why subject yourself to it...? I do this for fun, not to increase the stress
level of my life. As a side bonus, useful answers and opinions can be found
here at times! ;~)

And I totally agree, who can really justify the cost of a 70" vs 40" TV?

40"? Geez... I watch TV in a window on my computer via a built in tuner.
Typically have it sized to about 5-6" diagonally. Not much on TV that I need
to see in detail and if I do I make the window bigger. ;~)

If you like it, want it, and can afford it, GET IT. :~)

Yup!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Could be... I'm dismayed at how badly things deteriorate here at
times... Why subject yourself to it...? I do this for fun, not to
increase the stress level of my life. As a side bonus, useful answers
and opinions can be found here at times! ;~)

Except that tweaking the odd asshats nose on occasion can actually
relieve stress ... particularly those who have a history of posting
nothing whatsoever related to woodworking.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 9:40 AM, Leon wrote:

I totally understood that, but I knew there would be others that didn't
hence my reply. ;~) I think you just caught Swingman off guard, he has
been going at it with a couple of others here. ;-0

Not at all, and nothing to do with it ... it was a legitimate query
regarding an unusual, to me, take on purchasing tools.

(But I am still trying to figure out what some of us "need more
practice" at?)

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:45:07 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
You need to by the big fella. It will help with your upcoming catapult
and trebuchet projects. ;-)

Oh Noooooooo!

You know you're going to get one, it's just a matter of when. Think of
what you could build with one? It could be a whole new category of
building stuff. And considering what Swingman could do with one, you
could get whatever you want in trade from him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 10:31 AM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:45:07 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
You need to by the big fella. It will help with your upcoming catapult
and trebuchet projects. ;-)

Oh Noooooooo!

You know you're going to get one, it's just a matter of when. Think of
what you could build with one? It could be a whole new category of
building stuff. And considering what Swingman could do with one, you
could get whatever you want in trade from him.

Gotta feeling it will probably be me, and we'll swap, as you previously
indicated.

But with the dude cutting mortises at the rate of 1344/day, it appears
I'll probably have to schedule far in advance.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Could be... I'm dismayed at how badly things deteriorate here at
times... Why subject yourself to it...? I do this for fun, not to
increase the stress level of my life. As a side bonus, useful answers
and opinions can be found here at times! ;~)

Except that tweaking the odd asshats nose on occasion can actually relieve
stress ... particularly those who have a history of posting nothing
whatsoever related to woodworking.

I can see that... my approach is to ignore them and move on. This as feeding
the trolls just seems to make them grow...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can see that... my approach is to ignore them and move on. This as
feeding the trolls just seems to make them grow...

Your approach makes infinitely more sense, and I often follow that ideal
approach myself, when politics and climate are concerned ... it's just
that, sometimes, the devil makes you do it!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

The subject has been bugging me all day... Why on earth does it have to
be justified? Why can't we just buy stuff because it strikes our fancy
on a whim?

Wow.....somebody who finally understands the world of tools.

Our old friend on PBS probably sold more tools accidentally than any
tool rep in the world today.

Nobody needs a PC 557 but there are millions sitting in shops around the
world because of one guy and a thing called tool envy.

If everybody on this list fessed up about the drawer full of "magic"
tools they bought and rarely, if ever used, we would have some pretty
interesting threads on "my last dumb ass purchase".

If I had the money, I would have a shop full of Festool just because
I want my estate sale to be interesting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 2:09 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

The subject has been bugging me all day... Why on earth does it have to
be justified? Why can't we just buy stuff because it strikes our fancy
on a whim?

Wow.....somebody who finally understands the world of tools.

Our old friend on PBS probably sold more tools accidentally than any
tool rep in the world today.

Nobody needs a PC 557 but there are millions sitting in shops around the
world because of one guy and a thing called tool envy.

If everybody on this list fessed up about the drawer full of "magic"
tools they bought and rarely, if ever used, we would have some pretty
interesting threads on "my last dumb ass purchase".

If I had the money, I would have a shop full of Festool just because
I want my estate sale to be interesting.

It would not be interesting for long. :~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 10:34 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2012 10:31 AM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:45:07 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
You need to by the big fella. It will help with your upcoming catapult
and trebuchet projects. ;-)
Oh Noooooooo!

You know you're going to get one, it's just a matter of when. Think of
what you could build with one? It could be a whole new category of
building stuff. And considering what Swingman could do with one, you
could get whatever you want in trade from him.

Gotta feeling it will probably be me, and we'll swap, as you previously
indicated.

But with the dude cutting mortises at the rate of 1344/day, it appears
I'll probably have to schedule far in advance.

I have actually taped the switch to be on all the time, I don't want to
wait on it to power up between boards.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote ...
John Grossbohlin wrote:

The subject has been bugging me all day... Why on earth does it have to
be justified? Why can't we just buy stuff because it strikes our fancy
on a whim?

Wow.....somebody who finally understands the world of tools.

Our old friend on PBS probably sold more tools accidentally than any
tool rep in the world today.

Nahm?? Are we talking about Nahm?? What was funny about NYW was that PBS
insisted that all logos be covered or removed from the tools. Apparently it
would have been too commercial. And you could go to any tool store or forum
on the net and all the tool brands and models would be instantly
communicated. He did a hell of a job selling tools for a "non commercial"
network/program.

Nobody needs a PC 557 but there are millions sitting in shops around the
world because of one guy and a thing called tool envy.

I wonder how many routers were sold as a result of Norm opening that drawer
on his shop cabinet to reveal that he had more routers than fingers or toes.

If everybody on this list fessed up about the drawer full of "magic"
tools they bought and rarely, if ever used, we would have some pretty
interesting threads on "my last dumb ass purchase".

Hey! I resemble that remark. I did some cleaning in my shop recently and
found stuff I bought over 30 years ago. Still in the original package. I
haven't opened them or used them since I bought them. Including a router
attachment to cut biscuit slots. Some odd fasteners that looked like a good
idea at the time, but never found a use in the real world.

On the other hand, I bought a bunch of tools that were put to use five
minutes after I got them home. And I have bought tools that lasted over
twenty years. Heck, my old wrenches and general tools are over 40 years
old. Most of what I bought was put to use. Although, sometimes I buy some
kinda exotic wrench because I had a couple situations where I really needed
it. And the situation hasn't arisen yet to use them. But If I need it, I
know where to find them!

Reminds me of that old depressing joke. How can you tell that you really,
really need a tool? When you buy it twice. That refers to brain farts
where you have a tool and forget about it. You go out and buy a new one and
discover that you already bought one years ago and forgot about it. I have
done that a couple of times.

If I had the money, I would have a shop full of Festool just because
I want my estate sale to be interesting.

Like the bumper sticker says, "I am spending my kid's inheritance".