Posted to rec.woodworking

Default fixing up a biscuit joiner

WD40 will be fine.
I think they are probably nylon, not plastic, but I can be wrong.

BTW you might want to try mineral oil as a lube after you get it moving.
It's a nice lite lube.

On 2/22/2012 3:09 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Edward A. wrote:

(Me, I finally decided it was time to get a biscuit joiner rather
than cut them with a router.)

Aaaand, I went and bought a cheap one on eBay. A PC 557 for $50.

However it needs work; I've ordered the $30 worth of replacement parts it
needs to get back to snuff, but the biggest problem is that the external
moving parts are just not moving freely enough. My first impulse is to
shoot it with WD-40, but two of the parts are plastic and I'm slightly
worried about spraying petroleum products onto plastic.

Any suggestions? I guess I could scrounge up some silicone spray
somewhere in the house, but I thought I'd ask other people's opinions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edward A. Falk wrote:

Any suggestions? I guess I could scrounge up some silicone spray
somewhere in the house, but I thought I'd ask other people's opinions.

First rule - No silicone around wood! At least if you ever hope to apply a
finish to that wood.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

Edward A. Falk wrote:

Any suggestions? I guess I could scrounge up some silicone spray
somewhere in the house, but I thought I'd ask other people's opinions.

First rule - No silicone around wood! At least if you ever hope to apply a
finish to that wood.

It is hard to clean out but can be done. You could also seal the wood
with shellac or just use shellac as the finish. Other wise you can use
silicon oil in the finish (but that will pose a cleaning problem).

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2012 2:09 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Edward A. wrote:

(Me, I finally decided it was time to get a biscuit joiner rather
than cut them with a router.)

Aaaand, I went and bought a cheap one on eBay. A PC 557 for $50.

However it needs work; I've ordered the $30 worth of replacement parts it
needs to get back to snuff, but the biggest problem is that the external
moving parts are just not moving freely enough. My first impulse is to
shoot it with WD-40, but two of the parts are plastic and I'm slightly
worried about spraying petroleum products onto plastic.

Any suggestions? I guess I could scrounge up some silicone spray
somewhere in the house, but I thought I'd ask other people's opinions.

Like Mike Marlow said, do your future finishing a big favor and do not
allow silicone into any aspect of your wood shop environment ... and NO,
_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

What do you use on your table saw? If you have TopCote, that works
pretty well as a dry lubricant on the external parts of the 557. My 557
was recently giving me trouble binding when trying to set the angle, and
TopCote solved the problem.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 2/22/2012 2:09 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
SNIP
... and NO,
_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.
Not a cure all of course.
But silicon contamination is not the end of all either. If it was no one
better polish furniture with pledge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael Joel wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 2/22/2012 2:09 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
SNIP
... and NO,
_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone
contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.
Not a cure all of course.
But silicon contamination is not the end of all either.

Nope - but it sure as hell makes a complicated mess out of future finishing.
Why would anyone want to do that?

If it was no
one better polish furniture with pledge.

Well - those that do, don't know or care about a lot of these issues.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2012 9:58 PM, Michael Joel wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 2/22/2012 2:09 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
SNIP
... and NO,
_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.

blank stare

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 2/22/2012 2:09 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
SNIP
... and NO,
_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.
Not a cure all of course.
But silicon contamination is not the end of all either. If it was no one
better polish furniture with pledge.

The silicone is a before you finish problem, not an after the project is
finished and away from the shop problem.

Basically you don't use Pledge before applying the finish..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

On 2/22/2012 2:09 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
SNIP

... and NO,

_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.
Not a cure all of course.
But silicon contamination is not the end of all either. If it was no one
better polish furniture with pledge.

The silicone is a before you finish problem, not an after the project is
finished and away from the shop problem.

Basically you don't use Pledge before applying the finish..

Not for a refinisher.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

On 2/22/2012 2:09 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
SNIP

... and NO,

_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.
Not a cure all of course.
But silicon contamination is not the end of all either. If it was no one
better polish furniture with pledge.

The silicone is a before you finish problem, not an after the project
is finished and away from the shop problem.

Basically you don't use Pledge before applying the finish..

Not for a refinisher.

You totally have me confused. Could you please explain the process, in
order, that a "refinisher" uses Pledge on a piece before the
varnish/paint goes on?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

... and NO,
_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.

Is that hair on your knuckles too?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

On 2/22/2012 2:09 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
SNIP

... and NO,

_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.
Not a cure all of course.
But silicon contamination is not the end of all either. If it was no
one
better polish furniture with pledge.

The silicone is a before you finish problem, not an after the project
is finished and away from the shop problem.

Basically you don't use Pledge before applying the finish..

Not for a refinisher.

You totally have me confused. Could you please explain the process, in
order, that a "refinisher" uses Pledge on a piece before the
varnish/paint goes on?

I guess I should not have quoted both your sentences.
I was referring to -

The silicone is a before you finish problem, not an after the project
is finished and away from the shop problem.

Refinishers have to strip the old finish, many times this finish is
cracked and deteriated, so any polishes will most likely have reached
the wood. A refinisher doesn't have control over the starting state of
what they are working on.

Swingman wrote:

... and NO,

_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.

Is that hair on your knuckles too?

No. I gave up using the wider internet over a year ago (I found it
interfered with my ability to obey God) and have been the much better
for it. I now limit my use to a few selected sites and a few selected
avenues of access. Made my life much better.

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

... and NO,
_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.

Is that hair on your knuckles too?

You _know_ he's looking for hair between his fingers now, too, don't
you? (Googlit, Naily. It'll be in the same section as the last one.)

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

... and NO,

_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.

Is that hair on your knuckles too?

You _know_ he's looking for hair between his fingers now, too, don't
you? (Googlit, Naily. It'll be in the same section as the last one.)

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein

Internet is a great magnifier. Whatever a person will allow for in their
life becomes magnified since there appears to be no consequences for
releasing their true character.

Fear of God is the solution to such problems - no matter where you
are/go His Law and the Love for Him will guard how you act and what you
sayand do.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael Joel" wrote in message
m...

Swingman wrote:

[...]

You believe in the easter bunny and Santa Clause too?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

... and NO,

_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.

Is that hair on your knuckles too?

No. I gave up using the wider internet over a year ago (I found it
interfered with my ability to obey God) and have been the much better
for it. I now limit my use to a few selected sites and a few selected
avenues of access. Made my life much better.

That's good, Mike. You can't argue with an individual's life decisions,
particularly when that decision makes them content. The fact that you
made one is definitely in your favor and should be applauded,
particularly in this day and age.

As you've no doubt noticed, this place can get pretty contentious,
argumentative and wild, so it pays each one of us to be careful about
posting something that could perhaps mislead those looking for answers
and who don't have the knowledge to judge the, often wildly varying,
proffered advice.

In effect, that's a good thing, because, if you can stand the occasional
heat, you quickly realize that there is not much else that keeps the
advice offered here arguably much better than many other forums in the
online world.

All in all, good to see you here and participating.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

So - you have your belief and he has his. Just what is it within you that
has to deride him for his expressed beliefs? Got a little insecurity thing
going on within yourself?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

Well... Swingman is old and sometimes has trouble expressing his real inner
feelings. Beside that - he hangs out with Leon and (God forbid...), he even
occassionaly socializes with Robert (nailshooter). That all by itself
should provide adequate insight...

All that said - yeah - what he said...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

He offered a reasonable explanation for his behavior,
why would you choose to ridicule anothers religious beliefs?

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:54:11 -0600, basilisk
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:54:00 -0800, CW wrote:

"Michael Joel" wrote in message
m...
Fear of God is the solution to such problems - no matter where you
are/go His Law and the Love for Him will guard how you act and what you
sayand do.
You believe in the easter bunny and Santa Clause too?

He offered a reasonable explanation for his behavior,
why would you choose to ridicule anothers religious beliefs?

I chose to filter instead. He joined Stormin this morning because
this is not a religious forum, it's the Wreck.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:

He offered a reasonable explanation for his behavior,
why would you choose to ridicule anothers religious beliefs?

You've been here long enough to know that it's a common enough thing here.
I don't get it myself, but I will admit that it does hit one of my hot
buttons. Seems those who like to deride this way feel very comfortable in
doing so, but then get all panty twisted if the opposing views express
themselves. Oh well...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:54:00 -0800, CW wrote:

"Michael Joel" wrote in message
m...
Fear of God is the solution to such problems - no matter where you
are/go His Law and the Love for Him will guard how you act and what
you sayand do.
You believe in the easter bunny and Santa Clause too?

He offered a reasonable explanation for his behavior,
why would you choose to ridicule anothers religious beliefs?

I chose to filter instead. He joined Stormin this morning because
this is not a religious forum, it's the Wreck.

Fair enough Larry, but do you also filter those who are outspoken in their
belief that is contrary to "religeous" beliefs? Of course, it is your
choice who you filter and who you don't, but I'm asking if the standard is
arbitrary, biased, or balanced.

In the end - it's just discussion. What you filter is your right to decide.
It's just somewhat amusing how this type of discussion results in double
standards. Oh well...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2012 11:53 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Well... Swingman is old and sometimes has trouble expressing his real inner
feelings.

Old??

"has trouble expressing his real inner feelings"??

Not observably, Bubba!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

The belief in a god is proof that the human race has not matured yet. Do
what you want but I don't want to here about it. In any case, I asked a
legitimate question. Belief in any of the three mentioned entities makes
equal sense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

... and NO,
_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

I wouldn't know about google since I don't use it.

Is that hair on your knuckles too?

****! ROTFL once again on the same thread!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

I highly suspect that most contaminates that will harm a new finish have
long been gone. If the surface is deteriorated to the point of
cracking it is likely there is nothing left.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 2/23/2012 7:56 AM, Michael Joel wrote:

No. I gave up using the wider internet over a year ago (I found it
interfered with my ability to obey God) and have been the much better
for it. I now limit my use to a few selected sites and a few selected
avenues of access. Made my life much better.

Mike

I cannot say that using Google has given me problems with obeying God...
But if that helps, you need to do what you feel is right, all the more
power to you. If you are not feeling comfortable with God you need to
make some changes. As you are probably noticing, too much interference
can cloud your judgement and thinking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

There you go! Some people go a life time and never "get it". Although
I do not fear God. I know that every thing that happens does so for a
reason and is perfectly orchestrated. Nothing is by chance. I am
perfectly comfortable with that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

I would certainly not say that belief in God is proof that the human
race has not matured yet so much as the human race has not totally gone
down the tubes yet.

More and more God is ridiculed and look at the type that do that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:54:00 -0800, CW wrote:

"Michael Joel" wrote in message
m...
Fear of God is the solution to such problems - no matter where you
are/go His Law and the Love for Him will guard how you act and what
you sayand do.
You believe in the easter bunny and Santa Clause too?

He offered a reasonable explanation for his behavior,
why would you choose to ridicule anothers religious beliefs?

I chose to filter instead. He joined Stormin this morning because
this is not a religious forum, it's the Wreck.

Fair enough Larry, but do you also filter those who are outspoken in their
belief that is contrary to "religeous" beliefs? Of course, it is your
choice who you filter and who you don't, but I'm asking if the standard is
arbitrary, biased, or balanced.

Yes, I do, Mike. I tend to dislike sermons, from Christians, Muslims,
Buddhists, and Athiests alike. I also have no trouble allowing people
their own beliefs.

In the end - it's just discussion. What you filter is your right to decide.
It's just somewhat amusing how this type of discussion results in double
standards. Oh well...

We humans aren't perfect, but I aim for balance. shrug

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people
can handle it.
-- Hugh Macleod
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:54:00 -0800, "CW" wrote:
Fear of God is the solution to such problems - no matter where you
are/go His Law and the Love for Him will guard how you act and what you
sayand do.
================================================= ================
You believe in the easter bunny and Santa Clause too?

Obviously, his finding of God shows cretins like you to be the low
class person you apparently are.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:46:36 -0800, "CW" wrote:
The belief in a god is proof that the human race has not matured yet. Do
what you want but I don't want to here about it. In any case, I asked a
legitimate question. Belief in any of the three mentioned entities makes
equal sense.

Just goes to show your immaturity. Believe in God can be a moral
ideology, not a religious one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message news
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:54:00 -0800, "CW" wrote:
Fear of God is the solution to such problems - no matter where you
are/go His Law and the Love for Him will guard how you act and what you
sayand do.
================================================= ================
You believe in the easter bunny and Santa Clause too?

Obviously, his finding of God shows cretins like you to be the low
class person you apparently are.
Just because I have a firm grip on reality. No, I do not believe in mythical
beings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Swingman wrote:

[...]

So you think that belief in mythical beings makes for a healthy society.
Drop by some time. I have a few unicorns for you. BTW, of all the gods out
there, who's is real and who's isn't?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:04:12 -0800, "CW" wrote:
Just because I have a firm grip on reality. No, I do not believe in mythical
beings.

As I stated earlier, the finding of God can be a moral decision, not a
practical one. One doesn't have to believe in a mythical being to find
God. Finding God can be all about attitude and how you live your life.
Doesn't at all have to be about a supreme being.
Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message news
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:54:00 -0800, "CW" wrote:

Fear of God is the solution to such problems - no matter where you
are/go His Law and the Love for Him will guard how you act and what you
sayand do.
You believe in the easter bunny and Santa Clause too?

Obviously, his finding of God shows cretins like you to be the low
class person you apparently are.
Just because I have a firm grip on reality. No, I do not believe in
mythical beings.

Sometimes people think I am trying to argue when I am not. I do believe
though that when confronted with lies or sin, if the person who knowns
better doesn't speak up - they can become guilty as well (of course if
you've tried and they just refuse then it is no use in keep dragging it
out).

I may get me on a few more ignore lists
I do not want to commandeer the thread, but this is where I got asked.

So... (remember you asked me)
No to the bunny (pagan) - satan - yes of course.

No, I do not believe in
mythical beings.

I am afraid you do. Don't you believe in the scientific theories, that
get disproved all the time? The scientist/doctors have been elevated by
society to deity. Yet they are constantly proven wrong. Example: One of
Einstein's theories (can't off the top of my head remember which) is now
being considered to be possibly invalid. Something that for decades was
accepted. Science can never prove something - their best hope is that
something is not disproved.... yet. It is just the way it works, and
many honest scientists will admit it.

So that is faith - and anything that is faith is religion. Religion is
nothing more than something you believe so strongly that you change your
life to accommodate it (true of not).

We all decide what we will believe - God gave us that right. Doesn't
make us right. We can choose to believe and obey God or go on our own
ideas. Choice doesn't mean we get to avoid the results of our choices -
but we still are allowed the choices.

Truth is right there in His Word, no need to go to some biblical scholar
(especially since most are not in the business of teaching His Word as
much as they are in Interpreting His Word so it is *more acceptable* -
they have that right as well - again can't avoid the results of choices
but they are given the right to choose). It is there so no one will be
able to say they didn't know. No interpretations needed - just what it
says - without trying to make it fit our own desires to make it say what
we would prefer.

You can accept or not - I don't want to force anyone - can't. I also
have no intention of dragging this conversation on if it is just to
disparage and call names - I care for serious talks about the subject
when they are wanted.

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

That of course was my post... My settings did not do as I thought.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am afraid you do. Don't you believe in the scientific theories, that
get disproved all the time? The scientist/doctors have been elevated by
society to deity. Yet they are constantly proven wrong. Example: One of
Einstein's theories (can't off the top of my head remember which) is now
being considered to be possibly invalid. Something that for decades was accepted.

That is no longer the case (it had to do with a recent experiment result
that had neutrinos moving faster than the speed of light), which was
apparently the false result of sloppy work on the part of the researchers
who did not test all their cable connections ... so it appears Einstein is
still good to go.

So yes, there are bad researchers, just like there are less than proper
popes and pedophile preachers (please pardon the irresistible
alliteration).

--
www.ewoodshop.com