Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default fixing up a biscuit joiner

On 2/22/2012 2:09 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Edward A. wrote:

(Me, I finally decided it was time to get a biscuit joiner rather
than cut them with a router.)

Aaaand, I went and bought a cheap one on eBay. A PC 557 for $50.

However it needs work; I've ordered the $30 worth of replacement parts it
needs to get back to snuff, but the biggest problem is that the external
moving parts are just not moving freely enough. My first impulse is to
shoot it with WD-40, but two of the parts are plastic and I'm slightly
worried about spraying petroleum products onto plastic.

Any suggestions? I guess I could scrounge up some silicone spray
somewhere in the house, but I thought I'd ask other people's opinions.

Like Mike Marlow said, do your future finishing a big favor and do not
allow silicone into any aspect of your wood shop environment ... and NO,
_only_ on Google is shellac a cure all for all silicone contamination.

What do you use on your table saw? If you have TopCote, that works
pretty well as a dry lubricant on the external parts of the 557. My 557
was recently giving me trouble binding when trying to set the angle, and
TopCote solved the problem.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010