Markus Romanoff

Default Enineered flooring question!

I just installed a Bruce engineered flooring system in several rooms.
I looks beautiful and the finish is rated to last longer than I will
be in the house.

Not long after the installation , my cat peed on the flooring and the
urine ran into the unsealed butt ends of the boards and started to
delaminate the surface wood layer. I caught it quickly and is now
barely noticeable.

Since the flooring is pre-finished and does not require a urethane
finish coating which would have sealed the flooring to such "spills",
is there any aftermarket searer that can be applied to the flooring to
make the joints watertight?

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:29:47 -0400, Markus Romanoff
wrote:
I just installed a Bruce engineered flooring system in several rooms.
I looks beautiful and the finish is rated to last longer than I will
be in the house.

Not long after the installation , my cat peed on the flooring and the
urine ran into the unsealed butt ends of the boards and started to
delaminate the surface wood layer. I caught it quickly and is now
barely noticeable.

Since the flooring is pre-finished and does not require a urethane
finish coating which would have sealed the flooring to such "spills",
is there any aftermarket searer that can be applied to the flooring to
make the joints watertight?

We put Pergo (glue type) in a rec room. For "potentially wet locations"
(kitchen and bath) they recommended filling the perimeter gap with a
silicone-based sealant.

Does the Bruce website have any recommendations?

Leon

"Markus Romanoff" wrote in message

Since the flooring is pre-finished and does not require a urethane
finish coating which would have sealed the flooring to such "spills",
is there any aftermarket searer that can be applied to the flooring to
make the joints watertight?

My engineered floor In my bathroom has survived water on it several times.
A small flood once. Did you use, Water Proof Glue on all the joints? Any
one know who makes Water Proof Glue?

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:06:08 GMT, Leon wrote:

My engineered floor In my bathroom has survived water on it several times.
A small flood once. Did you use, Water Proof Glue on all the joints? Any
one know who makes Water Proof Glue?

I hear Titebond has a waterproof glue, at least according to the
front label

Markus Romanoff

While the floor is glued down, Bruce did not reccomend gluing the
little tounges and grooves. Even if I had the top layer of wood is
above the joint and would still be at risk. I need something to apply
to the whole floor to seal those microscopic cracks.

wrote:

"Markus Romanoff" wrote in message
.. .

Since the flooring is pre-finished and does not require a urethane
finish coating which would have sealed the flooring to such "spills",
is there any aftermarket searer that can be applied to the flooring to
make the joints watertight?

My engineered floor In my bathroom has survived water on it several times.
A small flood once. Did you use, Water Proof Glue on all the joints? Any
one know who makes Water Proof Glue?

Leon

So your floor is the one with the V shaped cracks at every joint? If so,
adding another layer of sealer will probably not solve the problem as water
will still pool in those joints and soak in.
Anything you add may void the manufacturers warranty on the factory finish.
I would call or email Bruce and see what they recommend.

news

wrote:

"Markus Romanoff" wrote in message
.. .

Since the flooring is pre-finished and does not require a urethane
finish coating which would have sealed the flooring to such "spills",
is there any aftermarket searer that can be applied to the flooring to
make the joints watertight?

My engineered floor In my bathroom has survived water on it several

times.
A small flood once. Did you use, Water Proof Glue on all the joints?

Any
one know who makes Water Proof Glue?

patriarch

"Leon" wrote in
news

wrote:

"Markus Romanoff" wrote in message
.. .

Since the flooring is pre-finished and does not require a urethane
finish coating which would have sealed the flooring to such
"spills", is there any aftermarket searer that can be applied to
the flooring to make the joints watertight?

My engineered floor In my bathroom has survived water on it several

times.
A small flood once. Did you use, Water Proof Glue on all the
joints?

Any
one know who makes Water Proof Glue?

And I would seriously consider making that an outdoor only cat....
Markus Romanoff

Bruce says that if you put anything on the factory coating it voids
the warrantee

wrote:
[...]

tweaked

Markus Romanoff wrote in
:

There are systems now for coating prefinished. I think, but not sure, that
Basic Coatings system is compatible with Bruce, assuming you are talking
about an aluminum oxide product.
Bruce will say your warranty is void, but what does it matter. You will be
applying a very good coating on top of their better coating.I have done a
number of engineered that had incompatible sheen between lots. Not a
problem and you extend the life of the floor.