Mr Mark

Default Kitchen Table Plans Please

I am looking for plans for a very large, simple kitchen table. I am no
carpenter so simpler the better for me please. I need something like a
10 seater and for the top I would like to use (if practical) two
lengths of IKEA kitchen worktop (the one which is made up of lengths
of pine, all glued together) side by side. This would then match my
kitchen worktops. Any help would be appreciated, thanking you in
advance.
Swingman

"Mr Mark" wrote in message
I am looking for plans for a very large, simple kitchen table. I am no
carpenter so simpler the better for me please. I need something like a
10 seater and for the top I would like to use (if practical) two
lengths of IKEA kitchen worktop (the one which is made up of lengths
of pine, all glued together) side by side. This would then match my
kitchen worktops. Any help would be appreciated, thanking you in
advance.

Do some research and you may find that trestle and pedestal designs will
generally seat more folks for their size due to the legs being mostly out of
the way. I recently designed and built a 70" X 42" Mission style trestle
table that seats 8 fairly comfortably. It would be easy to increase the size
of the top to accommodate two more. Although I had no plans, there is a
simple shop drawing of sorts, and photo's of most of the process ... you are
most welcome to use what you can. Project Journal, page 5 on the site below.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

Mark

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:23:55 +0200, Mr Mark (spoof
email address) wrote:

I am looking for plans for a very large, simple kitchen table. I am no
carpenter so simpler the better for me please. I need something like a
10 seater and for the top I would like to use (if practical) two
lengths of IKEA kitchen worktop (the one which is made up of lengths
of pine, all glued together) side by side. This would then match my
kitchen worktops. Any help would be appreciated, thanking you in
advance.

Hi
I could send you a few Kitchen table plans. Don't know if they are
what your after, but it may give you ideas on how to build what you
want.

email me
Cheers Mark

igor

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 06:25:17 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Do some research and you may find that trestle and pedestal designs will
generally seat more folks for their size due to the legs being mostly out of
the way. I recently designed and built a 70" X 42" Mission style trestle
table that seats 8 fairly comfortably. It would be easy to increase the size
of the top to accommodate two more. Although I had no plans, there is a
simple shop drawing of sorts, and photo's of most of the process ... you are
most welcome to use what you can. Project Journal, page 5 on the site below.

That is a great looking table. And, I have always liked the LOOK of
trestle tables, in general. My problem is that, with my long legs and big
feet, and sitting at the end, I can't pull all the way up to the table.
That being said, it seems from the photos that you have a bit more overhang
at the ends than I have seen before. Did you do that on purpose? I also
wonder how much of an overhang might work yet still be stable. I suppose
at some point the trestle becomes a pedastal and loses the trestle concept.
Another idea is to make the feet of the trestle smaller and make the cutout
between the feet higher. But their proportions look good the way you did
them. Any suggestions? Maybe I'll just have to go w/ 4 legs. Thanks. --
Igor
Swingman

"igor" wrote in message

That is a great looking table.

Thank you.

That being said, it seems from the photos that you have a bit more

overhang
at the ends than I have seen before. Did you do that on purpose?

Yep ... I wanted to be able to sit at the head of the table without kicking
the trestle and designed the table to accomplish that by actually setting up
a horizintal surface (table top) and vertical board (tresle) in front of a
chair to measure what was comfortable for me (I am 6' tall).

I was actually surprised by how little overhang was necessary to accomplish
fair leg comfort ... IIRC, the overhang on this table is only 12", but could
easily be kicked up another 4" - 6" without upsetting the design.

wonder how much of an overhang might work yet still be stable.

I've had no stability problems and I am certain that you can safely add more
overhang without problem. I've seen tables with as much as an 18" overhang
that looked good and should give just about anyone ample leg room. From my
limited experiments, I would say that 14" would likely be a comfortable
design target overhang if your top is long enough.

Of course, the factor for a pleasing appearance with the trestles would be
designing the overhang in proportion to the total length of the top, and
that should be easy to calculate from known examples that look good to you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

Richard Cline

In article , igor
wrote:

The is a lot of flexibility in the design of a trestle table. Mine is
40" X 60". there is a 12" inset to the legs at each end. Also, a leaf
can be added near each end so the inset to the legs would be 24". We
have used the table for 25 years and still enjoy it.

Dick

[...]

igor

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:10:09 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"igor" wrote in message

That being said, it seems from the photos that you have a bit more

overhang
at the ends than I have seen before. Did you do that on purpose?

Yep ... I wanted to be able to sit at the head of the table without kicking
the trestle and designed the table to accomplish that by actually setting up
a horizintal surface (table top) and vertical board (tresle) in front of a
chair to measure what was comfortable for me (I am 6' tall).

Well, my eye is usually not that good. BTW, I'm almost 6'4".

I was actually surprised by how little overhang was necessary to accomplish
fair leg comfort ... IIRC, the overhang on this table is only 12", but could
easily be kicked up another 4" - 6" without upsetting the design.

Must be the feet. It seems that I need 22" table overhang. Now, if my
toes could fit under the trestle legs ...

I think for my kitchen, where I need a 60" table or so, I may just have to
do a pedastal. For the dining room, where I want about 92", the trestle
could work. I'm still thinking, though, that the trestle table always has
been a "bottom heavy" table (I mean that in a good way - solid) and the
overhang I need may just not work for that style table. At least I have a
basic 3D program so I can play around with it w/o creating scraps. In my
DR, the only real view of the table will be from the side, so making a
higher cutout btw the trestle's feet could help provide toe room w/o too
much of an aesthetic change - at least that is visible.

Again, thanks for the insights -- and the website images, etc. I think
your site is great. And that is true of many rec members' sites. Good,
inspiring substance. And, while (w/ a few exceptions), not
pro-level-looking web design, they are really effective and easy to
navigate -- which is more than can be said about many of the pro-designed
sites I've seen across the web. That so many people here take the time to
do websites is very helpful and appreciated. -- Igor

Swingman

"igor" wrote in message

Must be the feet. It seems that I need 22" table overhang. Now, if my
toes could fit under the trestle legs ...

Could also be that the older I get the increased belly "overhang" pushes the
chair farther away from the table edge, mitigating the need for more table
overhang.

Good luck with your design... and thanks for the kind words.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

igor

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:02:01 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"igor" wrote in message

Must be the feet. It seems that I need 22" table overhang. Now, if my
toes could fit under the trestle legs ...

Could also be that the older I get the increased belly "overhang" pushes the
chair farther away from the table edge, mitigating the need for more table
overhang.

Hmmm? Maybe if I just wait a few more years I can "achieve" that same
organic mitigation. Overhang1 + Overhang2 = X" I'll think about that over
an afternoon snack.