Swingman

Default Kitchen Table Plans Please

"igor" wrote in message

That is a great looking table.

Thank you.

That being said, it seems from the photos that you have a bit more

overhang
at the ends than I have seen before. Did you do that on purpose?

Yep ... I wanted to be able to sit at the head of the table without kicking
the trestle and designed the table to accomplish that by actually setting up
a horizintal surface (table top) and vertical board (tresle) in front of a
chair to measure what was comfortable for me (I am 6' tall).

I was actually surprised by how little overhang was necessary to accomplish
fair leg comfort ... IIRC, the overhang on this table is only 12", but could
easily be kicked up another 4" - 6" without upsetting the design.

wonder how much of an overhang might work yet still be stable.

I've had no stability problems and I am certain that you can safely add more
overhang without problem. I've seen tables with as much as an 18" overhang
that looked good and should give just about anyone ample leg room. From my
limited experiments, I would say that 14" would likely be a comfortable
design target overhang if your top is long enough.

Of course, the factor for a pleasing appearance with the trestles would be
designing the overhang in proportion to the total length of the top, and
that should be easy to calculate from known examples that look good to you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04