Eugene

Default Keeperpro for Windows

Paul O. wrote:

Have any of you heard of, or are using this program for keeping info on
your tool collections or other collections? Saw it on ebay this morning
and downloaded a demo but haven't had a chance to fool with it much.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to keep it in a spreadsheet?
I have a spreadsheet with the make, model, serial number, date purchased,
hyperlink to the manual, and a link to the scanned receipt. I organize the
spreadsheets by location such as workbench or toolbox, for example one
sheet the plastic wheeled one that holds all my cordless stuff and their
batteries and chargers.

Eugene

Paul O. wrote:

"Eugene" wrote in message
Paul O. wrote:

Have any of you heard of, or are using this program for keeping info on
your tool collections or other collections? Saw it on ebay this morning
and downloaded a demo but haven't had a chance to fool with it much.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to keep it in a spreadsheet?
I have a spreadsheet with the make, model, serial number, date purchased,
hyperlink to the manual, and a link to the scanned receipt. I organize

the
spreadsheets by location such as workbench or toolbox, for example one
sheet the plastic wheeled one that holds all my cordless stuff and their
batteries and chargers.

That would work, but I don't have a spreadsheet. This program downloads
photos and you can import the full page w/photos from ebay of the item you
bought. Price paid, shipping and total cost supposedly goes in
automatically. Anyway, I gotta play more with the demo.

What if you didn't buy the tool from ebay? I've bought plenty from ebay,
but also from Sears, Lowes, Home depot, etc.
www.openoffice.org, nice spreadsheet, word processor, etc all for free.
Eugene

Leon wrote:

If you are using a relative late version of Windows, you may have a spread
sheet program in Microsoft Works.

Microsoft Works isn't a part of any version of Windows so it won't matter
how late of a version of windows he's running.

Paul O.

--
Paul O.

Eugene

Leon wrote:

"Eugene" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

If you are using a relative late version of Windows, you may have a

spread
sheet program in Microsoft Works.

Microsoft Works isn't a part of any version of Windows so it won't matter
how late of a version of windows he's running.

This is true except Many major computer builders offer the Works package
for
no extra charge. In the early 3.1 years this was not normally included.
However my Compaq with 95 and Dell with 98 and 2 Dells with XP all
included Works for no extra charge.

Usually only on some lines. The latitude's for example don't come with it,
or he could have had a pc built by a local builder.

Leon

If you are using a relative late version of Windows, you may have a spread
sheet program in Microsoft Works.

B a r r y

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:55:03 +0000, Eugene
wrote:

www.openoffice.org, nice spreadsheet, word processor, etc all for free.

Many spreadsheets will now accept a photo in a cell.

It's amazing what can be done with "the killer app!"

Barry
B a r r y

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:55:25 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

This is true except Many major computer builders offer the Works package for
no extra charge. In the early 3.1 years this was not normally included.
However my Compaq with 95 and Dell with 98 and 2 Dells with XP all included
Works for no extra charge.

If not, it's only $29 for the whole shebang he
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/SWW12198.html

If you or your spouse happen to be enrolled in school, are a teacher,
or a college professor, there are places that offer massive
educational discounts on serious software. Be prepared to fax a
paystub, ID card, report card, etc... as proof of status.

Also, some discount houses often offer office packages from Corel,
Microsoft, Lotus, etc... as full, legal previous version packages at
killer discounts.

A spreadsheet and some user knowledge really can make a whole lot of
other apps almost meaningless, for one price! G

Barry

Doug Winterburn

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:35:21 +0000, B a r r y wrote:

If not, it's only $29 for the whole shebang he
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/SWW12198.html

If you or your spouse happen to be enrolled in school, are a teacher, or a
college professor, there are places that offer massive educational
discounts on serious software. Be prepared to fax a paystub, ID card,
report card, etc... as proof of status.

Also, some discount houses often offer office packages from Corel,
Microsoft, Lotus, etc... as full, legal previous version packages at
killer discounts.

A spreadsheet and some user knowledge really can make a whole lot of other
apps almost meaningless, for one price! G

....or for the time/effort of downloading and installing, you can get an
entire office suite for any platform:

http://www.openoffice.org/

-Doug

--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 00:35:31 GMT, Doug Winterburn wrote:
...or for the time/effort of downloading and installing, you can get an
entire office suite for any platform:

http://www.openoffice.org/

I'll second that. I've been using it for, well about 5 years and two
name changes. The current version, I can't find a thing that anyone with
MS Office can't make that I can't open & display as intended.

Dave Hinz

Paul O.

wrote:
...or for the time/effort of downloading and installing, you can get an
entire office suite for any platform:

http://www.openoffice.org/

I'll second that. I've been using it for, well about 5 years and two
name changes. The current version, I can't find a thing that anyone with
MS Office can't make that I can't open & display as intended.

Dave Hinz

Thanks for the link, just downloaded it and will check it out.
--
Paul O.

Paul O.

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Eugene" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

If you are using a relative late version of Windows, you may have a

spread
sheet program in Microsoft Works.

Microsoft Works isn't a part of any version of Windows so it won't

matter
how late of a version of windows he's running.

This is true except Many major computer builders offer the Works package

for
no extra charge. In the early 3.1 years this was not normally included.
However my Compaq with 95 and Dell with 98 and 2 Dells with XP all

included
Works for no extra charge.

I built my own computer with XP. This version has no spreadsheet.

--
Paul O.

Bill Rogers

On 6 Jul 2004 01:40:58 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

http://www.openoffice.org/

I'll second that. I've been using it for, well about 5 years and two
name changes. The current version, I can't find a thing that anyone with
MS Office can't make that I can't open & display as intended.

An excellent office suite, but there are difficulties with some
spreadsheet compatibility, depending on depth of programming: Macros
for example. However, that's a common problem between all
spreadsheets. Another problem is lack of security from one to the
other, or within itself. A "protected" OOo spreadsheet can lose all
of its protection by "inserting" apage form one into another. Some
early Excel sheets lost theirs being opened into Quattro Pro ...and so
on.

There are several other incompatibility problems, discussed at length
in their forums. However, a good rule of thumb is to start with OOo
and have no problems. I redid a lot of my spreadsheets, only a few
transferring entirely, but redoing solved any problems [and gave a
second look to neat them up a bit.]

I've been saying for years about the power of the spreadsheet, and
posted a compound miter calculation sheet a while back in the alt
binaries newsgroup.

Bill.

Leon

"Paul O." wrote in message
om...

I built my own computer with XP. This version has no spreadsheet.

Yeah... Well It was a thought... Most people do not realize that Works has
a spread sheet in it.

xrongor

"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...

"Eugene" wrote in message
Paul O. wrote:

[...]

seems absolutely pointless to me. time would be better spent using the
tools instead of looking at pictures... what you paid for them in the past
has nothing to do with what they are worth to someone else, right now
(despite what some people seem to think) so thats useless information. at
best you will dwell on the ones you paid too much for.

it just seems silly.

randy

Charlie Self

xrongor writes:

That would work, but I don't have a spreadsheet. This program downloads
photos and you can import the full page w/photos from ebay of the item you
bought. Price paid, shipping and total cost supposedly goes in
automatically. Anyway, I gotta play more with the demo.

seems absolutely pointless to me. time would be better spent using the
tools instead of looking at pictures... what you paid for them in the past
has nothing to do with what they are worth to someone else, right now
(despite what some people seem to think) so thats useless information. at
best you will dwell on the ones you paid too much for.

OK. Tell that to your insurance adjuster after a fire or theft.

Charlie Self
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or
not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn
Neal

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
xrongor writes:

That would work, but I don't have a spreadsheet. This program downloads
photos and you can import the full page w/photos from ebay of the item you
bought. Price paid, shipping and total cost supposedly goes in
automatically. Anyway, I gotta play more with the demo.

seems absolutely pointless to me. time would be better spent using the
tools instead of looking at pictures... what you paid for them in the past
has nothing to do with what they are worth to someone else, right now
(despite what some people seem to think) so thats useless information. at
best you will dwell on the ones you paid too much for.

OK. Tell that to your insurance adjuster after a fire or theft.

Charlie Self
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or
not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

PC Mag has a nice (free) program to track inventories called Thinginventory. You
can attach a photo and a replacement cost to each item. Good for insurance
purposes.

Neal

Casey Stamper

"Neal" wrote in
:

xrongor writes:

[...]

That would be ThingVentory.

remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper

"The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
old Arabic saying

Leon

PC Mag has a nice (free) program to track inventories called

Thinginventory. You
can attach a photo and a replacement cost to each item. Good for

insurance
purposes.

Nope not free anymore. You have to subscribe to that utility download
service to get the file.

xrongor

xrongor writes:

That would work, but I don't have a spreadsheet. This program downloads
photos and you can import the full page w/photos from ebay of the item

you
bought. Price paid, shipping and total cost supposedly goes in
automatically. Anyway, I gotta play more with the demo.

seems absolutely pointless to me. time would be better spent using the
tools instead of looking at pictures... what you paid for them in the

past
has nothing to do with what they are worth to someone else, right now
(despite what some people seem to think) so thats useless information.

at
best you will dwell on the ones you paid too much for.

OK. Tell that to your insurance adjuster after a fire or theft.

i video tape my stuff and talk into the mike as i tape it. granted im not
up to the minute but who ever would be.

but i see your point. and it didnt sound like the op had that in mind.

randy

B a r r y

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:05:05 -0400, "Neal" wrote:

PC Mag has a nice (free) program to track inventories called Thinginventory. You
can attach a photo and a replacement cost to each item. Good for insurance
purposes.

The thing that always bothered me about programs like that, as nice as
some of them are, is that I lose them. G

In other words, I get the program, lose the install package, buy a new
PC or lose a hard disc, and can't find or download the original
install package. Usually, the program uses a proprietary database, so
I can't open the database once I get the data files onto the new PC or
drive.

Since I've started using basic databases or spreadsheets to keep track
of finances, projects, tools, bike rides, etc... I've never had that
problem. The data may not be as pretty to view, but I'm pretty sure
SOMETHING will open the file 5 years from now.

Barry

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:27:38 GMT, B a r r y
wrote:

[...]

if you're willing to buck the price and learning curve, filemaker may
be what you want. insanely powerful, been around long enough to have
good support and lotsa addons. with a bit of dinking aboutit can be
made to open *any* database, and it isn't going away.