Posted to rec.woodworking

Default B.S. by Famiy Handyman magazine.

My recent issue arrived with a separate page explaining that "this is a
special issue and that it will count as two of your subscriber issues,
and the duration of your subscription will be adjusted accordingly."

Here is my email reply:

-------------------------
Dear The Family Handyman,

I had to laugh when I read the insert that you provided my my magazine:
" .. We are treating it as a special issue that will count towards
two of your subscriber issuses."
except for the fact that you're wasting my time.

My reason for asking you to treat it only as ONE issue for me is:
*** What the hell do you think this is??? We had a contract!!! ***

I am very unsatisfied which your magazines conduct in this matter. I
find it VERY UNPROFESSIONAL and I hope that it does not happen again.
-------------------------

If you're a subscriber, take notice and don't let them try to pull that
crap. FWIW, regular issue ~100 pages, this one was 130 and seems to
include more advertising than usual.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 19, 8:02*pm, Bill wrote:
[...]

Well, yannow.... it's Family Handyman Mag, bro'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
[...]

Consider yourself lucky you got anything out of them. Your letter to them
made no sense at all.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
[...]

What part was difficult to understand? I paid them in advance for 12
monthly issues than they reduced were going to reduce my subscription to
11. I was PO'ed that they had the audacity to do that. I don't want to
see the same from them or any other magazines going forward. It would
be different if they had asked. The form letter reply I got back was
pitiful too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

Consider yourself lucky you got anything out of them. Your letter to them
made no sense at all.

Well, technically it made me about 100 sense I hardly care about. I
wonder how much it improves their bottom line for the year...I'm hoping
in the end, not much. If they can't treat their customers with respect
and stay in business, they won't have one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 19, 8:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hey, I checked, found their forum, and find that there's a whole bunch
of folks who appear upset about! I'm going to go read what they think!
LOL! And I'll bring my letter with me! : )

http://community.familyhandyman.com/...37/t/1771.aspx
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

Consider yourself lucky you got anything out of them. Your letter to them
made no sense at all.

I'd post my reply at their forum, but I'm not willing to register.
Here is someone else's reponse (same sentiments as mine):

I don't see another forum for this, but anyone happy with TFHM
shortening your subscription, unilaterally? I mean we pay for a
subscription for a set # of issues and they decide to offer a double
sized issue and shorten the subscription because of THEIR decision. I
have NO problems with paying for the double issue when I go to renew the
subscription, it will only minimally increase the subscription rate.
But to decided to, effectively, increase the subscription rate AFTER I
thought it was "locked-in" by buying it in advance, well, I find that
distasteful.

Am I alone?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:02:00 -0400, Bill
wrote:

[...]

September's issue was 108 pages, the "big new" October was 128 pages.
I haven't yet tallied up the content v. ad space yet and written to
them, but I think I'll ream them like I did the idiot at Netflix. Who
ARE these people?

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

I don't see another forum for this, but anyone happy with TFHM
shortening your subscription, unilaterally? I mean we pay for a
subscription for a set # of issues and they decide to offer a double
sized issue and shorten the subscription because of THEIR decision. I
have NO problems with paying for the double issue when I go to renew
the subscription, it will only minimally increase the subscription
rate. But to decided to, effectively, increase the subscription rate
AFTER I thought it was "locked-in" by buying it in advance, well, I
find that distasteful.

Am I alone?

Just for the record Bill - I do agree with you.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/19/2011 7:02 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Good on you Bill!

Anyway, is that rain on your shoes? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

If I were the person at FH reading your missive I would disregard it
and file in the 'lunatic fringe' basket. Perhaps a better thought out
response which contained fewer vestigial question marks, asterisks and
exclamation points would have made you come across as a valuable and
believable customer. I think you should just cancel your subscription.
Financial responses go farther towards making a point than rhetoric,
capital letters and vulgarity. Just sayin'
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That's the spirit!!! : )

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people
can handle it.
-- Hugh Macleod

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/20/2011 7:15 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I hope so!!! We'll never know for sure. : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , tommyboy
wrote:

I think you should just cancel your subscription.

Exactly. ****ing and moaning and writing letters will have little
effect on the publisher. Pull money, however, and you'll definitely
have their attention.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

My response was reasonably thought out. I found their action/conduct
egregious!!! It's not easy to convey that through email, but I did the
best I could in 3 sentences. I have other fish to fry.,,

I hope my message gets to the *Lunatic/Idiot* that started this!
I asked them to publish my message in the "letters to the editor"
section of their next issue. Let's nip this in the bud before other
magazines follow suit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/20/2011 9:45 AM, tommyboy wrote:

If I were the person at FH reading your missive I would disregard it
and file in the 'lunatic fringe' basket. Perhaps a better thought out
response which contained fewer vestigial question marks, asterisks and
exclamation points would have made you come across as a valuable and
believable customer.

I think you should just cancel your subscription.
Financial responses go farther towards making a point than rhetoric,
capital letters and vulgarity. Just sayin'

I don't normally give up on things that fast. I not afraid to try to
set them straight though. You know what they say about opinions....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/20/2011 11:39 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In , tommyboy
wrote:

I think you should just cancel your subscription.

Exactly. ****ing and moaning and writing letters will have little
effect on the publisher. Pull money, however, and you'll definitely
have their attention.

And then what. Being right isn't everything. They just need to remember
there contract.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

I should have said:

And then what? Being right isn't everything. They just need to remember
their contract.

Haste makes waist.................

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , tommyboy
wrote:

I think you should just cancel your subscription.

Exactly. ****ing and moaning and writing letters will have little
effect on the publisher. Pull money, however, and you'll definitely
have their attention.

Maybe - but the bigger frustration these days is that it seems you really
don't get their attention anymore.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/20/2011 10:39 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In , tommyboy
wrote:

I think you should just cancel your subscription.

Exactly. ****ing and moaning and writing letters will have little
effect on the publisher. Pull money, however, and you'll definitely
have their attention.

You will NOT get their attention unless yo do both. Complain and demand
a refuud of the remainder.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I think you should just cancel your subscription.

Exactly. ****ing and moaning and writing letters will have little
effect on the publisher. Pull money, however, and you'll definitely
have their attention.

You will NOT get their attention unless yo do both. Complain and demand
a refuud of the remainder.

If I do that, then I won't get to see if they print my letter in the
next issue. I've already written them twice. And Larry Jaques is going
to write to them, and at least one other person posted a similar message
at their web site. I want to read the "the apology" in the next issue.
At least they learned some of us are paying attention.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I think you should just cancel your subscription.

Exactly. ****ing and moaning and writing letters will have little
effect on the publisher. Pull money, however, and you'll definitely
have their attention.

You will NOT get their attention unless yo do both. Complain and demand
a refuud of the remainder.

If I do that, then I won't get to see if they print my letter in the
next issue. I've already written them twice. And Larry Jaques is going
to write to them, and at least one other person posted a similar message
at their web site. I want to read the "the apology" in the next issue.
At least they learned some of us are paying attention.

You could buy it at the news stand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/20/11 9:53 PM, Leon wrote:
You could buy it at the news stand.

Or you could get all the same info in the interwebs.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/19/2011 7:02 PM, Bill wrote:
My recent issue arrived with a separate page explaining that "this is a
special issue and that it will count as two of your subscriber issues,
and the duration of your subscription will be adjusted accordingly."

I got the same subscription. The difference is in how you use it

My MIL apparently thinks, because I have more "tools" than anyone else
she knows, that I'm a "handyman", that that is what I do, and therefore
the subscription to TFHM she blesses me with yearly, for the last ten
years just tickles me to death, which it indeed sometimes does.

Appropriately, the mag goes straight to the ****ter each month, where it
uniquely belongs. Much better than the Sears catalog when you find out
at the last minute that the pups have chewed up the TP, again ... just
wrinkle it real good and you're in business.

That extra twenty pages was a BIG plus in that regard.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/21/2011 9:15 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

WOW! You should submit those comments directly to the magazine. I bet
they would appreciate hearing from a reader that gets so much use out of
their publication...

Now I dare you to do so. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/21/2011 10:15 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

LOL -- What do you want for a buck an issue? I figured I wasn't the
only one here with a subscription. Enjoy those glossy pages.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/21/2011 10:50 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Maybe we should be cc'ing all our posts to
".

Someone must have the nerve, where's m II???
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:50:39 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

I don't believe that he utilizes the magazine for that particular use.
Glossy stock is a crappy crapper paper.

My research revealed this: The Oct issue had 57ish pages of ads in a
108 page mag. The controversial Nov issue had 47ish pages of ads in a
128 page mag. So, content pages totaled 47.2% in the Oct issue and
56.5% in the Nov issue. They want double the "price" for a measly
9.3% content increase (which they touted as double)? Feh!

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Maybe you should forward you stats to ???
Let 'em know we feel like we have wet shoes! ; )

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Appropriately, the mag goes straight to the ****ter each month, where it
uniquely belongs. Much better than the Sears catalog when you find out
at the last minute that the pups have chewed up the TP, again ... just
wrinkle it real good and you're in business.

Damn! You should write ad copy.

Maybe you could solicit a marketing job from these good folks. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'll do that once I've read both issues. I fully intend to retain my
option to -not- pay double for a single issue.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Appropriately, the mag goes straight to the ****ter each month, where
it uniquely belongs. Much better than the Sears catalog when you find
out at the last minute that the pups have chewed up the TP, again ...
just wrinkle it real good and you're in business.

You were obviously a high class country boy. When I grew up we didn't have
that damned Sears catalog - only you snobs had that. We looked for broad
leaf weeds/plants. The broader the leaf - the better - up to a point. Just
watch out for the poison ivy... and for the sharp edges on the leaves of
those plants - some were real killers!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Right here!

But **sigh** not my concern. I look at the magazine rack and see over
18 magazines at any given time and 'round 'ere, they run $10-$18 each.
Not even a chance when the main article is "How I built My Workbench
for under $500" . I have bought my share of mags in my day but when all
I can do it ick holes in somebody's woodworking guessing articles, it
is not worth the bucks or time.

You'll get there and looks like you have started.

My magazines are hand picked and not many have an article I want to pay
for, anymore.

-------------
"Bill" wrote in message ...
Maybe we should be cc'ing all our posts to
".

Someone must have the nerve, where's m II???

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/21/2011 12:32 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Appropriately, the mag goes straight to the ****ter each month, where
it uniquely belongs. Much better than the Sears catalog when you find
out at the last minute that the pups have chewed up the TP, again ...
just wrinkle it real good and you're in business.

You were obviously a high class country boy. When I grew up we didn't have
that damned Sears catalog - only you snobs had that. We looked for broad
leaf weeds/plants. The broader the leaf - the better - up to a point. Just
watch out for the poison ivy... and for the sharp edges on the leaves of
those plants - some were real killers!

Moss ... good old Southern moss: soft, caressing, absorbent, rugged,
plentiful, organic, biodegradable & free.

(Writing that I can't believe that I used to help my grandfather, by
being on one end of a two man crosscut saw, cut down huge trees just so
his cows could eat the moss ... wish I had some of that hog pecan and
white oak we cut down sixty years ago).

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, don't forget to read *both* of 'em! lol