Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Warning on Magazine Subscription from Magazine World

We believe that a majority of the woodworkers of this group are
magazine
subscribers. So we have decided to post our thread here to warn you of
this fraudulent online company.

We are a group of 90+ victims around the world who were scammed by the
fake online magazine suscription agency "Magazine World" which claimed
themselves to be the biggest international magazine subscription agency

with websites in 26 countries together with other fake
information.(www.magazineworld.co.uk)

Our members were scammed by Magazine World as early as September 2005
when their website and service as a magazine subscription agency first
launched. Their stradegy was carefully planned and each of our members'

experience followed the same pattern-- we ordered for our issues,
payment was processed and we all received our first issue on time and
we never receive further copies. Their customer service can be
contacted only by email and it was the same single person replying
customer's mail from all of their "different" websites. They tell us
all that the magazines were probably lost in the mail and they would
look into the cases for us. We tried asking for phone contact and they
would not give us with no reason given. We never received any further
reply and we tried contacting them again by email, and they do not
write back anymore.

Luckily, we victims found each other on the Internet and shared our
experience and realized that we were victims of the same trap. We tried

gathering Magazine World's information on the internet in cached
memories of different websites and sources from hosting service
providers with much effort and realized, in shock, that this group of
people appeared online as magazine subscription agencies using numerous

different names and phone numbers in turn over the past years and have
eventually arrived at this set up as this "international worldwide
magazine subscription agency".

We went on finding more proof and traces of Magazine World as a fraud
than we can list out and we decided to officially file our complaints
for legal assistance. We are currently in the process of getting our
cases dealt with through the help from some of our members located in
the local area of Magazine World in Australia. The local police and
Internet Fraud Complaint Department in Australia are acknowledged of
our situation and are trying to locate and contact Magazine World for
us.

We would like to post our disappointing and unhappy online experience
here as we want to put a stop to the everyday increasing number of
victims of the scam created by Magazine World around the world. The
total amount involved in the fraud exceeded US$10,000 and is increasing

everyday as new victims reach out to us for help. Please help by
spreading this warning to your personal friends, family and online
peers to prevent them from falling into this online magazine
subscription trap.

We will keep this forum posted with any update of the latest
development of the investigation.

Victims Association of the Magazine World Fraud

Note: We have included the following magazine titles in our posting for

a higher hit rate on search engines to maximize the exposure of our
warning.

Wired, Vanity Fair, O, The Oprah Magazine, Elle, Glamour, Golf
Magazine, Guitar Player, Robb Report, National Geographic, Popular
Mechanics, InStyle, Mens Health, Sports Illustrated, Maxim, Kite
Boarding, Alternative Press, GQ, FHM, Penthouse, Foreign Policy,
Popular Science

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mills

I don't trust any of them any more. Several years ago I sent a subscription
form and check to Woodworkers Journal. They started sending the mags and
soon after statements which I ignored thinking their book keeping hadn't
caught up but the dun's kept coming and getting nasty so I sent a letter
telling them that I had sent payment with my order and if they hadn't got
the check out of the envelope they would have to wait as it would cost me
more than the subscription to stop payment on the check that they failed to
find. I never got any response from my letter, just more threats for
payment. Needless to say I never sent another check or bothered to contact
them again.
I also have some other wood related subscriptions that run in excess of one
year and I find that more often than not they try to sucker you into
additional payment after one year (even if you have 2 yrs remaining)
thinking you will slip up and send more $$.
I have a very well stocked magazine stand not too far from the house and I
find it much more economical to go there once a month and purchase only the
magazines that have something of interest to me because more often than not
I don't find much of interest in most magazines, maybe purchase two
magazines out of a publishers one years printings which is quite a savings
for me.

Sorry for the rant, Rob Mills

Screwmachine World Magazine and Others... Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 7 April 29th 05 06:13 AM
Gunner: I'm back Gunner Metalworking 388 July 9th 04 12:35 AM
The Dubya's Steel tariffs declaired illegal Glenn Ashmore Metalworking 87 November 17th 03 03:55 AM