Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mills

Default Warning on Magazine Subscription from Magazine World

I don't trust any of them any more. Several years ago I sent a subscription
form and check to Woodworkers Journal. They started sending the mags and
soon after statements which I ignored thinking their book keeping hadn't
caught up but the dun's kept coming and getting nasty so I sent a letter
telling them that I had sent payment with my order and if they hadn't got
the check out of the envelope they would have to wait as it would cost me
more than the subscription to stop payment on the check that they failed to
find. I never got any response from my letter, just more threats for
payment. Needless to say I never sent another check or bothered to contact
them again.
I also have some other wood related subscriptions that run in excess of one
year and I find that more often than not they try to sucker you into
additional payment after one year (even if you have 2 yrs remaining)
thinking you will slip up and send more $$.
I have a very well stocked magazine stand not too far from the house and I
find it much more economical to go there once a month and purchase only the
magazines that have something of interest to me because more often than not
I don't find much of interest in most magazines, maybe purchase two
magazines out of a publishers one years printings which is quite a savings
for me.

Sorry for the rant, Rob Mills