MG

Default New Workshop size

Is a room 15' by 25' big enough for a workshop? I'd like to make musical
instruments and maybe some furniture. I have a craftsman 10" contractors saw
and a lot of other equipment.

Thanks,
Mark

patrick conroy

"MG" wrote in message

Is a room 15' by 25' big enough for a workshop? I'd like to make musical

Yes.

Jay Pique

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:21:57 -0400, "MG" wrote:

Is a room 15' by 25' big enough for a workshop? I'd like to make musical
instruments and maybe some furniture. I have a craftsman 10" contractors saw
and a lot of other equipment.

It is if that's all you have! There are many ways to get the most out
of a small space, and there are many sources for information on doing
just that. I recommend taking a look at Setting Up Shop by
Nagyszalanczy, Building Woodshop Workstations by Proulx and Small
Woodworking Shops from the Fine Woodworking folks.

JP
MG

Well....my wife and I are building a new house and the architect has planned
a 10 x 25 storage area attached to the garage. I'm planning on have it
extended to 15 x 25 and have the roof extended on the end for some outside
workspace and to store my mechanic's anvil. I already have a craftsman 10"
table saw, a craftsman band saw, and lots of other tools I don't have room
to use right now. I just collect stuff at yard sales, hardware going out of
business sales, and other places.

Thanks for you help,
Mark
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:21:57 -0400, "MG" wrote:

Is a room 15' by 25' big enough for a workshop? I'd like to make musical
instruments and maybe some furniture. I have a craftsman 10" contractors

saw
and a lot of other equipment.

It is if that's all you have! There are many ways to get the most out
of a small space, and there are many sources for information on doing
just that. I recommend taking a look at Setting Up Shop by
Nagyszalanczy, Building Woodshop Workstations by Proulx and Small
Woodworking Shops from the Fine Woodworking folks.

JP

NoOne N Particular

Is a workshop ever big enough?

Wayne

"patrick conroy" wrote in message

"MG" wrote in message

Is a room 15' by 25' big enough for a workshop? I'd like to make musical

Yes.

patrick conroy

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
. ..

Is a workshop ever big enough?

No.

D. J. Dorn

I went with 20' x 20' thinking I'd have room to ice skate when nothing was
going on but after everything was in there, I found myself really thinking
about in order to maximize floor space. I could get by with less, but I
think I'm at the minimum for ability to move around with a fairly well
equipped shop.

Don

"MG" wrote in message

Is a room 15' by 25' big enough for a workshop? I'd like to make

musical

Yes.

Upscale

"D. J. Dorn" wrote in message
I went with 20' x 20' thinking I'd have room to ice skate when nothing was
going on but after everything was in there, I found myself really thinking
about in order to maximize floor space. I could get by with less, but I
think I'm at the minimum for ability to move around with a fairly well
equipped shop.

Man, you guys are scaring me. When I finally get a shop of my own, I'm going
to have to leave a minimum of 30" manoeuvring space between everything for
me to get around it in my wheelchair. Either I'm going to need a football
field of space or really organize things well.

Stephen M

The short answer is yes. Lots of folks here get by with less.

Lay out a prototype on graph paper with cutouts of your tools (present and
future).

lanes lanes lanes. You need lanes to walk between tools, and lanes to infeed
and outfeed stock. Infeed and outfeed space can beshred between machines,
and can be stacked on top of machines. For instance my main workbench would
be in the way of outfeeding an 8' rip from my table saw but it is below the
plane of the table taw top.

*for me* it is important to be able to rip a sheet of plywood. Therefore, my
TS needs 8' in front and behind the blade. This is the biggest space user in
the shop so I started working around that.

Organizing by work area is a nice, but it is second to actually getting
every tool into the shop IMHO.

Also a square has less wall space than a rectangle. Look a what tools should
be placed against a wall vs in the open.

good luck.

"MG" wrote in message
Is a room 15' by 25' big enough for a workshop? I'd like to make musical
instruments and maybe some furniture. I have a craftsman 10" contractors

saw
and a lot of other equipment.

Thanks,
Mark

MG

I have a book on workshops where a guy has his workshop in a tiny space the
size of a closet. I am planning on having the roof extended to give a lot of
outside space. I could also later on build a storage shed for materials.
I'll also have the garage next to the shop for some spillover. Just can't
let the wife know the stuff is in there...hahaha.

Mark

"MG" wrote in message

Is a room 15' by 25' big enough for a workshop? I'd like to make

musical

Yes.

NoOne N Particular

Workshop the size of a football field. hmmmmm. Now you are getting
close. :-)

Wayne

"Upscale" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...