Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Bill, in Indiana; Anyone near Waverly, Ohio?

Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
Lot 8072 is single phase:

You can call Delta, give them the serial number and they can tell you
how old that saw is.

Sonny

Auction ends in 90 minutes..the Unisaw has been on my mind.

Issue is transportation (220 miles each way):
Costs:

About $300 to buy a trailer hitch w/installation
$140 for a 5'by9' trailer with a ramp (U-Haul, 1-way rental)
$150 to load (estimate was provided)
$100+ for gas

which comes to $690 not including any costs to unload.

This is discouraging from placing the next bid for the saw--
$850 which is essentially $1000 including buyers fee and sales tax.

It may be better to wait for one a little closer to home, or even buy
something new--but I learned A GREAT DEAL mulling over this!!! Thank
you folks! You still have time to talk me out of/into it! LOL

Bill

do you know anyone with a pickup truck that would help you out? you can rent
a box truck for 50 from uhaul for the day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

chaniarts wrote:
Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

My neighbor, who has a pickup, would be willing to drive me across
town, but I wouldn't ask him to spend a whole day driving out of state
with me. Not only that, using a pick up may require taking apart the saw
(which Swingman, smartly I think, discouraged).

For those that are interested: Final auction price on the 1999 Unisaw
(36-816), with unifence and overhead guard and fold-down outfeed table,
located in Mid-Ohio, was $1135 + 10% = $1249, plus sales tax of course.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
chaniarts wrote:
Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

the pickup may already have a hitch, saving you the $300, although if you
installed it on your vehicle, then your wife could buy that piano that she's
been wanting.

For those that are interested: Final auction price on the 1999 Unisaw
(36-816), with unifence and overhead guard and fold-down outfeed
table, located in Mid-Ohio, was $1135 + 10% = $1249, plus sales tax
of course.
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

chaniarts wrote:
Bill wrote:
chaniarts wrote:
Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

Yes, it does. But I am not willing to drive another man's truck 500
miles. None of the car rental companies are willing to rent a vehicle I
could use for towing. This Unisaw was going to cost north of $2000
after expenses, plus time and effort, and with possible risk during
transport, and no warranty. For $2750 Amazon will deliver a new one to
your door. At least, that was the deal until about 3 weeks ago. Current
3rd party seller wants $3299.

I really did learn alot through this process that will ready me the next
time around. It was actually "over-stimulating". Like I said, next time
I will be ALOT more prepared.

Thanks,
Bill

although if you
installed it on your vehicle, then your wife could buy that piano that she's
been wanting.

For those that are interested: Final auction price on the 1999 Unisaw
(36-816), with unifence and overhead guard and fold-down outfeed
table, located in Mid-Ohio, was $1135 + 10% = $1249, plus sales tax
of course.
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/2011 1:46 PM, Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

Bill I rented a 16' lift gate truck a few months ago and it cost me
about $450 for 4 days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/11 8:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/29/2011 1:46 PM, Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

Note he said he needed the hitch first.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Bill, the "window shopper" strikes again.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , frozenNorth123
@gm.nospam.ail.com says...

On 6/29/11 8:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/29/2011 1:46 PM, Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

Why would he need a hitch to rent a truck?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/11 10:19 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In , frozenNorth123
@gm.nospam.ail.com says...

On 6/29/11 8:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/29/2011 1:46 PM, Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

It is listed above as part of the cost of getting a trailer.

Not making excuses for Bill's over thinking of everything.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Bill, the "window shopper" strikes again.

Lew

Hey, I had the high bid $880 yesterday. It was an honest bid.
I did all the leg work, computed the costs. Even shared the experience.
Sorry to disappoint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/2011 8:09 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 6/29/11 8:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/29/2011 1:46 PM, Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

Note, you need a hitch to pull the trailer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Bill I rented a 16' lift gate truck a few months ago and it cost me
about $450 for 4 days.

Thanks for reminding me about that Leon. I WAS able to locate 22' lift
gate trucks (Penske), but they were not available for "one-way" rental.
The rental price was some nominal amout + .79cents/mile. Of course, at
almost 500 miles, the latter, along with gas, might be significant. As
you may have read, Swingman described your efforts at moving a saw on a
mobile base using a lift gate truck as practically effortless! One thing
is certain, next time I see a saw, I will not have to search for the
answer to the question, as I have done more than once before, "HOW can I
move that saw by tomorrow?"!

For the saw auctioned today, I wasn't even sure how I was going to get
it onto the liftgate by myself so I was tentatively chose the plan which
left me with a trailer hitch.

By the way, Swingman's words weren't wasted on me--mobile bases wouldn't
ship for 5 days--and that was too vague for my purposes now.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 17:59:21 -0400, Bill wrote:

chaniarts wrote:
Bill wrote:
chaniarts wrote:
Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

Yikes! They've gone up! I paid $1600 for my 36-L31X-BC50 two years ago, from
Amazon. I'm looking for a bandsaw now, but I'm not in a hurry.

I really did learn alot through this process that will ready me the next
time around. It was actually "over-stimulating". Like I said, next time
I will be ALOT more prepared.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 6/29/11 8:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/29/2011 1:46 PM, Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

If he's got a 16 foot lift gate truck then why does he need a trailer?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/2011 10:51 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:

[...]

Damn Bill, you did not tell them you were coming did you? LOL

t might be cheaper for you to fly to Houston, rent the PV rental truck
and go from here, deliver the saw to your home and fly the PZ rental
people up to your house to return their truck! IIRC I had to pay 15~25
cents per mile, still high but 79 cents per mile is robbery!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/29/2011 10:51 PM, Bill wrote:

For the saw auctioned today, I wasn't even sure how I was going to get
it onto the liftgate by myself so I was tentatively chose the plan which
left me with a trailer hitch.

One person can load a Unisaw, on a mobile base, easily with a pickup
truck equipped with a Tommylift tail gate.

For a box truck, where the bed is much higher off the ground, two are
ideal ... one to push the lift gate button, and one to steady the
extension table (which is hanging off the lift) for the longer trip up.

Neither person has to lift anything.

By the way, Swingman's words weren't wasted on me--mobile bases wouldn't
ship for 5 days--and that was too vague for my purposes now.

A mobile base is almost a necessity for most of us with a cabinet saw,
unless your shop is so big that you'll only move it once/in.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
IIRC I had to pay 15~25
cents per mile, still high but 79 cents per mile is robbery!

The difference in price may reflect a business versus a non-business
rental. Of course, I am in the later category.
The trucks with lift gates are owned by the local units--at least at
Penske. For just driving a truck back and forth across, 79 cents a mile
is reasonable enough. Clearly it is not as suitable for a long trip.
Next time I ask I will appear more shocked when I am quoted a .79 mile
rate, and I'll tell 'em Leon sent me! : )

Thanks,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

One person can load a Unisaw, on a mobile base, easily with a pickup
truck equipped with a Tommylift tail gate.

For a box truck, where the bed is much higher off the ground, two are
ideal ... one to push the lift gate button, and one to steady the
extension table (which is hanging off the lift) for the longer trip up.

Neither person has to lift anything.

Thanks for mentioning that part of the process. I had wondered about it.
In a pinch, I could probably find someone to push the button for me!

By the way, Swingman's words weren't wasted on me--mobile bases wouldn't
ship for 5 days--and that was too vague for my purposes now.

A mobile base is almost a necessity for most of us with a cabinet saw,
unless your shop is so big that you'll only move it once/in.

I will be sure to have a mobile base.

Bill

Ping: Bill Steve[_43_] Woodworking 1 March 8th 10 04:19 AM
Ping: Ohio Brush Tom Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 7 May 22nd 08 01:02 PM
Ping Bill Noble Gerald Ross[_2_] Woodturning 12 April 21st 08 06:47 AM
Ping Bill Pounds Lew Hodgett Woodworking 0 May 11th 06 09:33 PM
Ping Bill Gumbine Dave in Fairfax Woodturning 64 June 28th 05 04:18 PM