Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Ping Bill Noble

Where can I get Gast vacuum pump flushing solvent? I haven't had any
luck on the 'net.

Thanks in advance

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

May your life be filled with experiences.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 18, 3:21 pm, Gerald Ross wrote:
Where can I get Gast vacuum pump flushing solvent? I haven't had any
luck on the 'net.

Sometimes Mr. Bill gets pretty busy, but I think he answers his emails
as it is his business. Hit him at

www.wbnoble.com

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

my first thought would be "why do you need GAST flushing solvent"?
presuming a good answer to that query, I would call my local GAST
distributor - start here http://www.gastmfg.com/productinfo.html and try the
"contact us" link

I have used good old rubbing alchohol once, it worked fine to get a bunch of
crud out of an otherwise OK pump, just set it up to recirculate the stuff by
having it exit into a coffee can to be sucked up again - this is NOT the
approved way in the user's manual mind you, but it seemed to work.

Going back to my first question though, what pump and why do you think you
need the magic fluid?

(and yes, it's easiest to reach me via email which is posted on my web site,
wbnoble.com - I don't use a real email address in newsgroup postings because
to do so just gathers spam like a fallen tree gathers wood turners with
chainsaws)

bill N

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
. ..
Where can I get Gast vacuum pump flushing solvent? I haven't had any luck
on the 'net.

Thanks in advance

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

May your life be filled with experiences.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 19, 1:53 am, "William Noble" wrote:

(and yes, it's easiest to reach me via email which is posted on my web site,
wbnoble.com - I don't use a real email address in newsgroup postings because
to do so just gathers spam like a fallen tree gathers wood turners with
chainsaws)

Whoops.... sorry about that Bill. I thought I was doing you a favor.
Won't happen again.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

William Noble wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I had tried to email you recently about
something else and assumed I had the wrong address.
I have a GAST 1/6 hp 0322-V103-G8DX. The other day I turned it on and
it gave a fluttering sound pulling only minimal vacuum. After 3 off/on
cycles it started running right.
One source said you could use brake cleaning fluid, but the can said
extremely flammable so I declined. Another said Loctite Safety
Solvent, but it contains mostly naptha and I did not feel like running
lighter fluid through it.

I found some GAST flushing solvent and it is on the way. The alcohol
sounds ok too.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Meet the new boss, same as the old
boss. . . .

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 01:01:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 19, 1:53 am, "William Noble" wrote:

(and yes, it's easiest to reach me via email which is posted on my web site,
wbnoble.com - I don't use a real email address in newsgroup postings because
to do so just gathers spam like a fallen tree gathers wood turners with
chainsaws)

Whoops.... sorry about that Bill. I thought I was doing you a favor.
Won't happen again.

Robert

You didn't give Bill's email, just his URL...
No harm, no foul? ;-]

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 19, 9:41 am, mac davis wrote:

You didn't give Bill's email, just his URL...
No harm, no foul? ;-]

Hope so!

These damn spambots are so sneaky and efficient these days you never
know.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

you did right - no problem - I give out my web site freely - that's what
it's for, afterall

I post a picture of my email address on my web site - that keeps the casual
"spider" from finding it and also helped significantly reduce spam. I was
just explaining WHY it is that I use a fake email address on NG posts --- I
really do appreciate your passing on my web address - it's even OK to pass
on my email - the primary route for harvesting is from the posting headers -
I tend to leave some extra spaces adn omit an "at" sign when I put my real
address into a NG -

for example, your email, if I were posting it would say "nail shooter 4 1 at
aol dot c om" or something like that, so it doesn't look like an address
to the software that scans postings - notice that I changed it below too
just to show another example

nailshooter41 at aol.com wrote in message
On Apr 19, 1:53 am, "William Noble" wrote:

(and yes, it's easiest to reach me via email which is posted on my web
site,
wbnoble.com - I don't use a real email address in newsgroup postings
because
to do so just gathers spam like a fallen tree gathers wood turners with
chainsaws)

Whoops.... sorry about that Bill. I thought I was doing you a favor.
Won't happen again.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald - be absolutely sure you have a decent filter infront of that pump -
it doesn't take much dust or sawdust to ruin the soft carbon vanes - while I
can sell you a filter, and would be happy to do so, you can get one at sears
or maybe even a used tool place - any decent air line filter (not a pure
moisture trap) will do. I just finished cleaning out a pump that I had sold
that the recipient had clearly used without a filter - I don't think it
worked more than a few days - luckily the sawdust gummed it up and it
wouldn't start, otherwise it would have been completely destroyed. so for
everyone's attention - note, I am shouting this "ALWAYS USE A FILTER IN THE
VACUUM LINE BEFORE YOUR VACUUM PUMP" the filter built into the GAST vane
pumps is not enough, you need a separate filter.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" wrote: you can get one at sears
or maybe even a used tool place - any decent air line filter (not a pure
moisture trap) will do. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A mason jar full of cheesecloth makes a pretty good filter. Make sure when
you solder in the tubing, that one of the lines goes to the bottom and the
other to the top. Or a hose with cheesecloth stuffed in.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

William Noble wrote:
Gerald - be absolutely sure you have a decent filter infront of that pump -
it doesn't take much dust or sawdust to ruin the soft carbon vanes - while I
can sell you a filter, and would be happy to do so, you can get one at sears
or maybe even a used tool place - any decent air line filter (not a pure
moisture trap) will do. I just finished cleaning out a pump that I had sold
that the recipient had clearly used without a filter - I don't think it
worked more than a few days - luckily the sawdust gummed it up and it
wouldn't start, otherwise it would have been completely destroyed. so for
everyone's attention - note, I am shouting this "ALWAYS USE A FILTER IN THE
VACUUM LINE BEFORE YOUR VACUUM PUMP" the filter built into the GAST vane
pumps is not enough, you need a separate filter.

bill N

Thanks, Bill. I have always used a good filter. Good advice.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Monday is a depressing way to spend
one-seventh of your life.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 19, 7:39 pm, "William Noble" wrote:
you did right - no problem - I give out my web site freely - that's what
it's for, afterall

Thanks for the follow up, Bill. I just passed you name (website!) to
a guy on the woodworking ng that was looking for affordable faceplates
and the possibility of a custom size or two.

I have such an extreme distaste for spam and crap in my mail, I rarely
use my real address for anything. If anyone wants me, they usually
ping me and since I read the groups about once a day (maybe more when
raining out) I am able to respond pretty quick.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 21, 12:33 am, "
wrote:

Thanks for the follow up, Bill. I just passed you name (website!) to
a guy on the woodworking ng that was looking for affordable faceplates
and the possibility of a custom size or two.

And once more over on Wood Central. Hope this sends some $$ your
way! You never know...

Robert

PING: Bill Noble Prometheus Woodturning 7 April 5th 07 10:39 AM
Ping: William B. Noble Prometheus Woodturning 14 May 23rd 06 10:22 PM
Ping Bill Pounds Lew Hodgett Woodworking 0 May 11th 06 09:33 PM
ping mr. noble skeezics Woodturning 7 April 2nd 06 12:39 PM
Ping Bill Gumbine Dave in Fairfax Woodturning 64 June 28th 05 04:18 PM