Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
skeezics

Default ping mr. noble

hi william. i just came into posession of a vacume pump. it is a
shuco. ser # 1182664 if that helps. that is the only info on the pump
i can find. it has a guage on it and when running if i hold my finger
over the inlet it registers almost 22 cm hg. will this have enough
power to use for turning small bowls? thanks.

skeez
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"skeezics" wrote: (clip) if i hold my finger over the inlet it registers
almost 22 cm hg. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you mean 22 *inches* Hg? That would be plenty. 22 cm would be less that
9"--by the time you lose some to leakage you could be in trouble with small
bowls.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
skeezics

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:24:03 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"skeezics" wrote: (clip) if i hold my finger over the inlet it registers
almost 22 cm hg. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you mean 22 *inches* Hg? That would be plenty. 22 cm would be less that
9"--by the time you lose some to leakage you could be in trouble with small
bowls.

the guage reads cm hg. i guess it might be from accross the pond.
medical equipment. i set it up good. no leekage. get the same reading
hooked to the lathe as i do not hooked up. this thing came with a
glass bottle with stopper i did away with the bottle and used the
stopper to make my conection to the lathe and siliconed all of it. I
have not made the vacume chuck yet though so i will probly get some
leekage there. it has a bleeder built in so I can turn it down some
but i may not have to use it if there isnt enough suction to start
with. any way to soup it up? lol... did i mention it was FREE? if it
works its a gloat if not i'll write from the ER.

skeez
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mark Fitzsimmons

It's not just the pressure you need to worry about it's the volume of
air the pump can handle to overcome leaks. If you're only turning sound
wood with no cracks and no leaks, good seals, it should plenty strong,
but if you have any leaks at all.

FYI if you want someone to help you with a product, put on the model
number, not the serial number (is it model 102, 120, 130, 136, 230 or
330?), and spell the name correctly.
Is this the pump?
http://websites.labx.com/rankin/deta...tonumber=28459

If it's a suction pump for medical waste, it might work fine, since
it's designed to suck out material.

Your best answer will come from the manufacturer, who will be able to
tell you how much flow it can pull and maintain pressure.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Mark Fitzsimmons" wrote: (clip) If you're only turning sound wood with no
cracks and no leaks, good seals, it should plenty strong, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That depends on what Skeeziks meant by "for turning small bowls." 8.6" Hg
is not whole lot for holding small diameters. It's about 4 1/4 psi, which
on a 2" diameter is only about 13 lb force.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
skeezics

On 29 Mar 2006 12:40:46 -0800, "Mark Fitzsimmons"
wrote:

It's not just the pressure you need to worry about it's the volume of
air the pump can handle to overcome leaks. If you're only turning sound
wood with no cracks and no leaks, good seals, it should plenty strong,
but if you have any leaks at all.

FYI if you want someone to help you with a product, put on the model
number, not the serial number (is it model 102, 120, 130, 136, 230 or
330?), and spell the name correctly.
Is this the pump?
http://websites.labx.com/rankin/deta...tonumber=28459

thats the one. thank you. i didnt think to look for it on line as i
thought it was too old to find it. mine is missing the label so i did
not have a model number. only had the ser # and brand. all i had to go
on was the numbers on the vacume guage. by holding a finger over the
hose it went to 22 and by releasing the bleeder i could set it
wherever i wanted.

If it's a suction pump for medical waste, it might work fine, since
it's designed to suck out material.

Your best answer will come from the manufacturer, who will be able to
tell you how much flow it can pull and maintain pressure.

by the way i did get the faceplate made today. to test it i placed a
glass bowl on the face plate and fired it up. i could not pull it
loose so then i stood to the side and turned the lathe on slowest
speed. im still alive and the bowl still holds soup sooo.............
this was my first experiance with vacume anything. i like it!!! im
probly only going to use it for sanding and finishing the bottom of
small bowls. i dont think i will be trying to do any cutting with it.
thanks,

skeez
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

it looks like your questions have been answered. If it holds wood
well enough for you to do what you need to do, then you got a good
deal. there is my "booklet" on vac chucking which you can find on my
web site, www.wbnoble.com - it will give you a table of holding forces
versus the amount of vacuum.

note - if this pumpuses oil, be sure to point the exhaust into a can
or something so you dont' get oil all over everything - and you don't
want to be breathing oily mist.

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:45:59 GMT, skeezics wrote:

hi william. i just came into posession of a vacume pump. it is a
shuco. ser # 1182664 if that helps. that is the only info on the pump
i can find. it has a guage on it and when running if i hold my finger
over the inlet it registers almost 22 cm hg. will this have enough
power to use for turning small bowls? thanks.

skeez

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
skeezics

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 18:51:26 -0800, "William B Noble (don't reply to
this address)" wrote:

[...]

thank you william. i think i got it figured out .

skeez

NT PING John Moorhead Woodworking 2 March 22nd 05 03:18 AM
Ping N. Thornton N. Thornton UK diy 9 December 23rd 04 09:55 PM
Ping N. Thornton N. Thornton UK diy 0 December 23rd 04 01:06 PM
Ping Pong Table [email protected] Woodworking 8 September 24th 04 10:26 PM
Ping Pong Table [email protected] Woodworking 8 September 15th 04 10:12 PM