Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

Default Ping: William B. Noble

Hello,

I was just taking a look at your website and contemplating getting a
faceplate for my outboard, when I noticed that you have "clocks" under
your hobby section.

So perhaps you're the guy who might know the answer to this one- I've
been looking off and on for an analog alarm clock that runs off a
standard 110v wall plug (or 12v DC with adapter), preferably with a
battery backup. Case and face condition don't matter, as I intend to
take it apart and turn a custom one (provided I can ever find such an
item.) The only important bits are the internal works and setting
keys. I'm undecided as to whether I prefer external bells or an
internal alarm, but as they seem to be a rarity, I'd take whatever I
can get.

I know I can find battery ones, and wind-up versions, but I worry that
I'd forget to wind it or change the battery one day and end up being
late for work. Since you have some rather obscure stuff on your site
anyhow, is there any chance you've got one of these squirreled away
somewhere? I "could" get a digital clock that would do the job, but I
really prefer analog for aestetic reasons.

You can contact me off-list at if you've
got any ideas, or here- as I check this forum regularly. Figured I'd
post it here just in case someone else has any leads, especially since
it's on-topic anyhow.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Hi Jesse,

I'll butt in til Bill reports. First off, I'm surprised to hear that
synchronous household alarm clocks are becoming rare. I thought they'd
be easy to find in thrift shops. I don't think there are any dc analog
clocks extant, but I may be wrong.

Henry Warren in Ashland, Mass. (my wife's hometown) invented the Warren
Telechron, an analog clock mechanism that depended on 60 cps house
current. The Telechron Co. made zillions of 110 V. alarm clocks.

I think the Co. was bought out by G.E. and they may not make Telechron
alarm clocks anymore, although they do make timers, etc. at the old
factory at the end of Central Street where this Southern Redneck did
some tricky but highly successful (for him) courting a long time ago.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On Sun, 21 May 2006 17:43:36 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

Hi Jesse,

I'll butt in til Bill reports. First off, I'm surprised to hear that
synchronous household alarm clocks are becoming rare. I thought they'd
be easy to find in thrift shops. I don't think there are any dc analog
clocks extant, but I may be wrong.

Henry Warren in Ashland, Mass. (my wife's hometown) invented the Warren
Telechron, an analog clock mechanism that depended on 60 cps house
current. The Telechron Co. made zillions of 110 V. alarm clocks.

I think the Co. was bought out by G.E. and they may not make Telechron
alarm clocks anymore, although they do make timers, etc. at the old
factory at the end of Central Street where this Southern Redneck did
some tricky but highly successful (for him) courting a long time ago.

Well, it's a good lead, Arch- Thanks! I DAGS on Telechron with a
couple different strings, and it looks like they were bought out by GE
in 1951, then were revived from time to time, up until 1992 when the
market for them dried up. (My guess is that it was because they were
really, really ugly) Found one on Ebay for $4.99, but the bidding was
over.

I hadn't thought of checking thrift shops, so I'll check that out the
next time I go into town- but a good search of the local retailers
came up with no new products. Could be just me, but even though
digital technology is great for a lot of things, I still find the
mechanical ingenuity of clockwork fascinating and it seems a shame
that it has been so lightly abandoned. I *like* my clocks to tick,
even if it's just a little bit- and the old ringing bell is so much
nicer than the hateful electronic air-raid siren I have on my current
alarm... kind of like the old ring of a telephone, before everyone had
to have a low-quality midi version of a classical tune to let them
know they have a call.

But that's progress, I suppose. Fix it whether it's broke or not, and
the to the devil with the old standbys. I couldn't believe it was so
hard to find such a simple thing either, but it seems that's the case-
at least in my area. I guess the powers that be figure that anyone
still wanting an analog clock was such a knuckle-dragger that they
would insist on winding it up as well...

*sigh* And I'm not even an old guy. Just really, really, tired of
shoddy plastic and space-age gimmicks.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
no(SPAM)vasys

Prometheus wrote:
Hello,

I was just taking a look at your website and contemplating getting a
faceplate for my outboard, when I noticed that you have "clocks" under
your hobby section.

So perhaps you're the guy who might know the answer to this one- I've
been looking off and on for an analog alarm clock that runs off a
standard 110v wall plug (or 12v DC with adapter), preferably with a
battery backup. Case and face condition don't matter, as I intend to
take it apart and turn a custom one (provided I can ever find such an
item.) The only important bits are the internal works and setting
keys. I'm undecided as to whether I prefer external bells or an
internal alarm, but as they seem to be a rarity, I'd take whatever I
can get.

snip

See:
http://www.onlineorganizing.com/Prod..._Alarm_Cloc k

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Prometheus" wrote: (clip) I hadn't thought of checking thrift shops,
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Try, also, the wanted category of Craig's List.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

I think Arch already answered the question - the clocks on my site
(for the rest of you, www.wbnoble.com, look in hobbies section)
came from garage sales or the trash, I doubt that I paid over a dollar
each, though of course they are worth at least a million $ each now
(well, we wish)

what I would do is look in thrift shops, junk stores, etc - I have the
clock guts from a sony radio - it's a motor driven "digital"
meachanism somewhere - and I have a pile of clock guts and clocks I
saved because I used to use them in metal sculpture (weld up hands,
weld clock to something cool, add the hands, .....) - if you can't
find any, I'm sure we can work a deal, but I'd be totally amazed if
you can't find all you want for a dollar each or less.

that said, I am unaware of any suitable production analog clocks with
battry backup - they were made, but they were complex affairs with
lots of electronics to make a freq source to drive the motor. There
are "school" clocks that have a stepper that you drive with a one
pulse per second signal, those would be amenable to battery backup,
but I don't think that's what you are looking for.

a battery quartz unit is good, easy to have battery backup, and you
can add a "wall wart" to it by just using a rechargable battery and
wiring a battery charger to it.

hope this helps

On Sun, 21 May 2006 15:58:57 -0500, Prometheus
wrote:

[...]

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Prometheus wrote:

I *like* my clocks to tick,
even if it's just a little bit- and the old ringing bell is so much
nicer than the hateful electronic air-raid siren I have on my current
alarm...

Here you go:

http://www.time4weather.com/chinre50clal.html

Sigh, even the font is familiar.

Also try Seth Thomas and Westclox - yes, That Westclox. The Westclox name
was taken over by an outfit called Salton and they are making a lot of what
Retro clocks.

I guess if you can remember the clocks from the first time around, you
might br Retro?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Ping: William B. Noble (sorry for OT)

Well Jess, we all have to get with the program eventually. I kept my
dial telephones because I could "please hold" and a human would answer.
Not anymore.
Wally had to give up his sleeve bearing Dunlap lathe, Leo L. his broken
tool rest and questionable VS outfit and altho George reveals his kinder
gentler side with his love of 'ole Blue', he turns on a Nova 3000.

Since I've gone completely OT, I may as well ask you computer whizzes.
Packrat that I am, I have kept several Vic 20's and Commodore 64's and
boxes of basic tapes & players, manuals, games, modulaters, cables, etc.
which Lori says have to go (altho I notice she's keeping her dolls). Is
it too soon for these early day personal computers to have any historic
value or should I risk being served cold suppers and hang on to them?
How bout my big Holly carburators and AM ham rigs? Next week I'll ask
about my British Seagull motors and Wentworth tools. The world has
passed me by.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Arch" wrote in message
Next week I'll ask
about my British Seagull motors and Wentworth tools. The world has
passed me by.

That'd be Whitworth. Still have a set.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Right George, but whatever their worth was, it went. Can't repair a
Harley with them and not many Triumphs around.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Arch" wrote in message
Right George, but whatever their worth was, it went. Can't repair a
Harley with them and not many Triumphs around.

And almost everything on my old 120 Jag was 9/16 anyway. Not sure what that
is in Whitworth. Been too many years.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On Mon, 22 May 2006 09:01:28 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

Well Jess, we all have to get with the program eventually. I kept my
dial telephones because I could "please hold" and a human would answer.
Not anymore.
Wally had to give up his sleeve bearing Dunlap lathe, Leo L. his broken
tool rest and questionable VS outfit and altho George reveals his kinder
gentler side with his love of 'ole Blue', he turns on a Nova 3000.

*Sigh* Yeah, I swore I'd never own a cell phone, but it appears I
have to get one now. Having gotten tired of being laid off in the
spring as a carpenter, I finally found a position as a cabinetmaker
(not a gloat, because I've been working towards that goal at night and
on weekends for over seven years) but the hitch is that all the
cabinets we make get installed in Chicago (about 9 hours' drive from
the shop) so I need something to keep in touch with the wife in case
something happens.

Since I've gone completely OT, I may as well ask you computer whizzes.
Packrat that I am, I have kept several Vic 20's and Commodore 64's and
boxes of basic tapes & players, manuals, games, modulaters, cables, etc.
which Lori says have to go (altho I notice she's keeping her dolls). Is
it too soon for these early day personal computers to have any historic
value or should I risk being served cold suppers and hang on to them?
How bout my big Holly carburators and AM ham rigs? Next week I'll ask
about my British Seagull motors and Wentworth tools. The world has
passed me by.

Don't know about the Commodores, but I know the Apple // series can
fetch big bucks if you find the right buyer.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

old computer stuff is starting to have value again - the trick is
finding a buyer - hint - look at e-bay completed auctions. Wentworth
tools - those are really useful, can't give them up. all those new 8
inch floppy drives I scrapped 10 years ago are almost worth hanging on
to now. and a big holly will bring $ on ebay - folks still like to
see how quicly they can drain a C-note.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred and Grace Hatton

Sent this to Arch yesterday instead of to the group.
Just bought an 06 Harley and unlike my 48 and 68 it will not make much
difference what tools you own you're not going to do much work on it
anymore.
Fred
--
Fred and Grace Hatton